Information regarding rFactor 2 Steam (FAQ)

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by Christopher Elliott, May 2, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

Fine, you cant. No problem, was just answering the other guy anyway. ;) now back on topic ;)

Minority of users are mad with the Steam move tbh. I want a sim to be complete, studios and devs aren't doing it by themselves. With this idea we could get closer to that, of course it's not that simple probably, but for sure much better than what they are doing now.
    Plus a DLC model if done right is actually cheaper than buying a game every year :p (i.e. you don't have to buy the same track twice) ISI can't offer more with what they are doing now, it's pretty clear already. rF2 is the best sim out there but it could (and I want it to) be much better too ;)

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2016
  2. Wiggin

Wiggin Registered

Okay thank you for more info on that. In 90% of cases I would agree the separation of application files and user data is a good thing, for me personally, who has an SSD that get's reformatted every so often and 1TB drive dedicated to games having one less game I have to go search for their "special save location" place is a plus in my book. Again, thank's for the added information.

3. Wiggin

Wiggin Registered

Who's buying a sim every year ? They also aren't releasing sims every year anyway. I'll just add that I hate DLC in it's entirety due to it's abuse in the industry. Their move to Steam is try to create a more "complete sim" as you call it.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2016
  4. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

It's hard to discuss when people don't understand the basics. Hate having to explain letter by letter soooo... have a good day lol I give up xD

5. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Your post 'explaining' what you meant wasn't very easy to follow. Anyway, it's all very off-topic and would be quite a departure from what ISI has done thus far, so I can't see it happening.

6. bwana

bwana Registered

7. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

Look.... let's say F1 had a base game and only released car packs/updates every year and you only buy what wasn't there in previous season. You wouldn't have to pay for the same tracks twice. Same worth for many sims now (and if not clear enough I mean when you buy all of them), obviously when I said "buying a new sim every year" I didnt mean literally, let alone from ISI because... welll isn't obvious they aren't releasing stuff every year?
    Idk why people nowadays take everything literally, the internet wasnt like this back in the early MSN days :D

Nuff said. End of the off topic. Again, sorry mods. Not the intention.

8. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

We do not sell to under 13 either, as per the terms of use.

9. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Are you using a phone?

10. bwana

bwana Registered

All sorted thanks. Had to download latest version of IE. (v11). Was using very old version. Cheers

11. bwana

bwana Registered

all sorted except :( we don't all live near the nbn View attachment 19905 chances of no interruption ?? zilch .

12. gorgias1976

gorgias1976 Registered

Welcome to third party world, you get the same but you have to pay more people.

13. Jim Beam

Jim Beam Registered

it resumes

14. Marcel Offermans

Marcel Offermans Registered

You do indeed have to go through the installation of the latest version first, but this is less of a problem than it sounds as 99% of the files are the same if you compare build 1052 and 1084. This means that after installing 1084, switching to 1052 will be quick (less than a minute on my computer).

If you really, really don't want to do this, there are ways of downloading the right version directly by using a command line tool called SteamCMD but in this case I think that is more hassle so not worth it (reading the instructions will take you longer than downgrading after the initial install).

15. Carlo

Carlo Registered

Well, count me among those who feal cheated/betrayed by this decision. I bought a standard license in early 2013 and another lifetime license in Oct 2015.

I specifically bought rF2 because it wasn't on Steam. I'm a US Govt programmer/contractor for some of those letter agencies (last contract DARPA - US Dept of Defense Advanced Research Project Agency). For obvious security reasons, Steam is not allowed on any of the hardware in my 8 machine home network. On a personal level, I wouldn't cede control of my software/hardware over to a 3rd party anyway (hence my rejection of Win 10 as a viable OS).

"Will a non-Steam version continue to be sold?
    We will continue to sell a non-steam version for an undefined period. We may look to wind down new sales on the non-Steam version, but much like rF1, this is probably a long-term transition, if it happens at all."

This statement above led me to believe it was reasonably safe to purchase a non-steam lifetime license in October. "We may look ... if it happens at all" should have been phrased differently if the intent of ISI was to move entirely to Steam and stop updates to the non-Steam version.

While it's certainly within ISI's rights to change the game (no pun intended), I also think it's fair for me to request a refund for the October purchase that I made.

I'll miss the great community here and wish the best for ISI in their endeavors.

16. scalino

scalino Registered

Sorry guys but there's something I don't get here.

I did the "steam transfer" of my non-steam licence and got the steam key in my mailbox, but now what do I do exactly...? On Steam I only get the possibility to buy the game or a yearly/lifetime subscription, and nowhere I can fill in that key to download the game. Do I need to buy it again?

I need to access multiplayer servers on sunday, it has to be answered quick please.

17. Woodee

Woodee Registered

Did you read any of this thread? Even perhaps googling "redeem key on steam" ?

18. george4203

george4203 Registered

19. Wiggin

Wiggin Registered

Hello,

I'm curious what makes Steam a security risk and the launcher for this game not one. I'd also like to know if you read the ToS for this game because as someone posted in this thread the wording for it is very similar if not almost identical to the wording of the Steam ToS. Thus making your comment regarding "I wouldn't cede control of my software/hardware over to a 3rd party anyway" a moot point. I would also like to know how Steam would take control of your hardware.

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2016
  20. GCCRacer

GCCRacer Banned

For the second question, I'm not sure if the earlier posted Non-Steam ToS aren't refering to the matchmaker and online part of the game as "Service". The game would likely be called "Product".

As for the first I think I can answer: Steam is a bigger security risk than a launcher because it has a constant connection to a central host, which can order it to update itself/change files on the client machine pretty much at will. The RF2 launcher is a momentary activation software, writes a license file to the computer and then doesn't talk with some central host all the time.

Wiggins, you simply can't deny the fact that there's a world of difference in user perception between having an annoying client always running in the background (a client which caused me personally lots of trouble) and having a one-time activation based on an email and purchase code. One is the big nanny checking everytime you want to play what you paid for, the other leaves you alone even if you reinstall everything on the same hardware (just backup the license file first). To force-swap one for the other is simple bad communication/planning.

Steam is like Apple to me. For 80% of the users who want to customize their games 20%, it works perfectly. If you step outside those 20% expected customization however you're up against some very steep walls, because suddenly things that should be easy to do with digital files on your own hardware become incredible convoluted. For sure for the 80% of people who don't know how to properly backup their data, reinstall/repair their games etc. it is very helpful. For the 20% who want to go further it is the devil.

Irony being that pirated games which where originally on Steam are just as easy to manage, or even easier, than the RF2 Launcher. Single setup.exe, single data archive, installs directly to a folder of your choice, no client needs to be running, no undead auto-updating that keeps coming back, none of the surveilance that Steam does to it's users. I'll openly admit here that I bought Assetto Corsa for full price... but I run it off the files from some nice russian guy who untied it from Steam, and I'm very happy with that experience. It may be against the ToS (which in turn may anyway be against EU Customer Law) but for sure I don't feel morally wrong for taking back control over what happens on my game installations.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 13, 2017
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.