Information regarding rFactor 2 Steam (FAQ)

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by Christopher Elliott, May 2, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. philman

philman Registered

Thank you for your advice. It is what I am going to do but it will cost me 1 Euro more!!!

2. Wiggin

Wiggin Registered

Thank you for the quick response.

Sent from my Nexus 7

3. AlMennino

AlMennino Registered

Why on steam, rFactor 2 is 10GB and non-steam lite version is 339MB? :confused:

4. Wiggin

Wiggin Registered

I believe because it auto downloads all the ISI content.

Sent from my Nexus 7

5. Woodee

Woodee Registered

You can install steam games anywhere. I added a steam library folder which is outside my user folders so there is no problems with accessing the info without needing to run as admin. Easy peasy!

6. Wiggin

Wiggin Registered

Thanks, I was more concerned with some files being in My/documents than access issues.

Sent from my Nexus 7

7. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

This may be a bit off topic but all this Steam talk made me think why nobody has done to sim racing what Steam did to the gaming market
    Isimotor 2.5 is the best to make this happen with some updates.
    Oh well, a player can dream :D
    Back to the original programing now xD

8. Wiggin

Wiggin Registered

Do you mind clarifying what you mean by "nobody has done to sim racing what Steam did to the gaming market" ? There is something's that Steam has done that many may find detrimental to the gaming industry.

Sent from my Nexus 7

9. Boyd

Boyd Registered

Good to know Marcel. One question though, do we have to do the original full install first before we can see the "alleged" Beta tab? :)
    I can't see it anywhere. Would have been nice to start off with the 1052 buid for VEC, but it seems I need to do the 1084 install first, and then downgrade?
    Cheers

10. ErnieDaOage

ErnieDaOage Registered

Right now the only thing which is working on steam for me is the library, and some settings windows but everything which is related to the steam browser like the store, the community sites even the ****ing profile page is not working for me anymore. Since 2 weeks i try to get rid of the problem but its not working i tried every fix i found through google and nothing. So iam stuck with all the content from rf2 and cant even uninstall it, or unsubscribe it at the workshop, because the workshop is just another page in the steam browser. oh yeah i don't like steam!

11. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

I do not like Steam but I recognize it has way too much more benefits compared to the bad side. And I sure can't find anything "detrimental to the gaming industry"
    What I mean is:
    ISI update the graphics of current engine and make it more "mainstream" (but no need to put everything the mainstream games is adding, and whatever is used make it possible to be turned off, I'm sure 90%+ of players would be happy with this). And move to DX11 or12 or Vulkan, whatever :D
    Add some detail stuff such as pit animations, etc
    Now this is not a base for moding anymore
    ISI starts an service like iRacing for online racers... but trying to make the monthly payment cheaper because...
    The sim is now the Steam of sim racing. (please keep in mind the studio names are just examples, let’s avoid some stupid discussion on this...)
    Sector 3 renew their DTM and/or WTCC licenses. They don't need to make a new game, they can sell it inside ISI "Steam". The deal between them could be like ISI get 10% of each sell to keep evolving the product and improve the AI for example.
    Sector 3 also has some GT licenses now, let's say 5 or 6 cars. They also sell it as a pack
    Sector 3 has license for many German race tracks, they can sell a German Tracks pack too
    Reiza has Stock Car Brasil and Copa Petrobras de Marcas license, also sell it on ISI “Steam” with a deal, maybe different from sector 3 as it is less known series worldwide.
    Reiza also has license for many Brazilian tracks, could also be sold as a pack.
    Let’s say now instead of paying for ADAC license Sector 3 could go to ADAC and say “look the cool cars and tracks we have in this game... we want to make a german online championship, if you sponsor it we could tall this the...
    ( •_•)>⌐■-■
    Virtual ADAC GT Masters
    (⌐■_■)
    xD kidding, or not...
    Focus on track packs per country because you can have national GT, F3, Touring cars, etc series and get the best guys from that season and put them all together in a world league
    Other studios or even the same guys with products already in this “Steam” go for LMP2, GTE cars, French tracks, British tracks, ovals in US, historic cars, getting the new models from the current cars already in the sim (like GT3), some could also release single cars/tracks, hot rod packs, dirt, dragsters, street car packs, drift and so on
    No idea how good this would be for devs and studios but I sure would like it as a customer :p that's the kind of "steam of sim racing" I'm talking about

Mods... sorry for the off topic ^^"

12. Woodee

Woodee Registered

You got any IE / browser adblockers?

13. Woodee

Woodee Registered

You do realise Sector 3 is moving to Unreal Engine 4 right?

Plus... ISI did dominate last generation of sims, most of them ran on gmotor related engines but now all these once unified have now built on this success and gone to do their own thing.

14. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

Can you read? "(please keep in mind the studio names are just examples, let’s avoid some stupid discussion on this...)" it is right there, come on.....................................................

15. stonec

stonec Registered

Steam pretty much saved PC gaming industry from my understanding. Same as what Spotify/Netflix did for music/movies, it was totally necessary. Since 15 years or so consoles have gained market from PC but now we have an easier way of buying PC games and often cheaper than consoles as well.

16. Lazza

Lazza Registered

That's not a steam vs non-steam issue, that's related to the install folder. If you install (non-steam) rF2 to program files, it'll put your player files in documents. If you instead install it to another folder you have full access to, they stay in that folder. I'm not sure how steam does it, but the same way would make sense (this separation of application files and user data files is actually a good thing).

You'd have to do the install first (10.8 GB I believe), then use the Beta tab to go back to a previous build. The initial installation appears to have no options at this stage.

17. Woodee

Woodee Registered

Don't post stuff then shut down any response.... DON'T POST IT IN THE FIRST PLACE ON A DISCUSSION FORUM IF YOU DON'T WANT TO DISCUSS IT. Understand?

18. Woodee

Woodee Registered

Steam puts them all in the same place, in whichever Steam folder library you specify.

19. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Ok, thanks for clearing that up :)

(suits me, I always install to a single folder and have everything in there anyway. Does seem a shame they don't use the document method for program files though, helps keep things simple for reformats etc...)

20. Wiggin

Wiggin Registered

I'm not sure if you truly realize what you're requesting here. I for one am here because I'm not being asked to pay for every car,track,skin or setup. If you want to anger people more then moving to Steam I feel like you have outlined exactly how to do that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.