Information regarding rFactor 2 Steam (FAQ)

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by Christopher Elliott, May 2, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Christopher Elliott

Christopher Elliott Registered

Payment for the yearly subscription will happen through Steam. If you visit the rFactor 2 store page you'll see all the options there, you can select yearly or lifetime at time of purchase.

2. Christopher Elliott

I'm glad to hear this worked nicely for you. I'm sure that once others try this and get used to it, it will be a very smooth transition. I'm a server admin just like the rest of you ;) and I find it very simple to setup SteamCMD dedis. It's really just the switch over that takes a little more time to setup, especially when you have multiple servers running, but it's a one time thing and you should not have fiddle with it again. The only thing you will have to do from time to time, is run the script again when a new Build comes out to update the server, this takes literally just a couple of minutes.

Just want to emphasize this again, we are more than willing to help with any technical questions, between Marcel and I, and the other Staff and helpful users on here, I think we got all bases covered. So please don't hesitate to ask if you have an issue getting things to work. :)

3. Christopher Elliott

Next update will be the last update for non-Steam, after we will continue updating the Steam version of rFactor 2.

4. redapg

redapg Registered

After my Post:

I got these Replies:

Sorry, i don't remember exactly since when i own rF2 and i have a Lifetime Licence.

I'll wait how it progresses, but if in Future, Game related Features will be Updated for the Steam Version only, i will not be able to join Servers anymore, if it's the same as it is now: Different Versions of Client and Server = No Access to the Server.

And because i will not move to Steam, the Lifetime Licence is useless for me then.

And that's just 1 Aspect.

5. WhiteShadow

WhiteShadow Registered

Yes, I suspect that the build after 1084 will be the final build for the entire game. I can not imagine that ISI is going to split multiplayer to Steam and non Steam with different version of builds.
    Most likely only Steam support(futures) is going to be updated, but of course this is just my speculation and don't have to be the case.

6. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Read two posts above yours, you're incorrect.

7. WhiteShadow

WhiteShadow Registered

Yes, maybe I am lost in translation but what is actually an update, is it a new build or is it just a patch to steam futures like MM filters etc. which we have already in rF2.
    BTW. I am Steam user, just speculating :)

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2016
  8. whitmore

whitmore Registered

Add my vote to the very dissapointed group. With slow internet connection steam is a PITA. 11gb at 500kbs and restart download at some point before it finishes Ouch!!
    What about all the mods that ate not in the workshop how are qe to get those to reinstall?

9. WiZPER

WiZPER Registered

Exactly how you are doing it now... People seem to just be jumping the gun and go mental about it, I'd go as far as giving them a diagnosis og Steamophobia, because what we are seing on display in this thread really IS irrational fear based on lack of knowledge - sorry folks, get well soon, Dr. WiZPER out...

10. Lazza

Lazza Registered

The question you answered was also answered in the first post. I'm not jumping to conclusions either way, and try to avoid judgement of others, but for sure there's been some lack of reading the first post (and subsequent posts) in here, but I guess that happens a lot.

Slow down people, this isn't happening tomorrow, take some time to work out how this works and what it means...

11. philman

philman Registered

I have already asked this question.
    If somebody could answer. Thank you.

May I renew my on-line subscription before migrating to steam?

12. Lazza

Lazza Registered

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say you could, because you can renew your non-steam subscription, and (separately) you are able to migrate your account to steam. You'd want to send an email as described in the first post so you don't lose your subscription.

If your remaining time is low, it'd just be easier to migrate directly wouldn't it?

13. Christopher Elliott

If your subscription is up for renewal now, I would advise purchasing a yearly subscription via Steam at our Store page once you've migrated your account.

14. Prodigy

Prodigy Registered

Would there be any suprises for last non-steam update? :)

15. Ho3n3r

Ho3n3r Registered

Agreed. The main reason seems to be 'I don't like Steam'.

There is no other valid reason, as no features are removed when you migrate.

And to the people who says that the Steam client uses too many resources so they don't wanna use it, there's no way your PC would be able to run rFactor 2 anyway if that's the case.

16. tpw

tpw Registered

I think the complaints are not so much against Steam per se, but rather that ISI have basically affected an rF2 transition from software you own to software you have a licence to use - at the discretion of a 3rd party (Valve). While I'm sure that such a move will aid in centralised development and (paid?) mod wrangling, and ISI are well within the fine print of their TOS in doing so, I can understand why it leaves a bad taste in a few mouths.

FWIW I transitioned my install to Steam yesterday and it was pretty much painless: activate key; do the massive download (the only really annoying bit for me); copy the userdata and packages directory from my existing install to the fresh steam install; install the packages using the standard launcher procedure; and I was (literally) off to the races. However I'm an SP only person so the various MP and Dedi issues don't apply to me.

17. GCCRacer

GCCRacer Banned

You mean a bigger surprise than that it is the last? :p

18. Euskotracks

Euskotracks Registered

I think he is referring to a buggy build which would make it useless. In any case, it is very unlikely that someone will stick to the non steam version due to many reasons.

Therefore, I don't think it is really important if we get a buggy build or if we don't get any new build at all.

ISI has made its decision and let's hope that the harm done gets compensated by some other benefits

Enviado desde mi ONE A2001 mediante Tapatalk

19. Wiggin

Wiggin Registered

@ISI

Are you using Steam as DRM or only as a digital distribution ? Can I run the game without Steam running ?

Will all the .json files be inside the steam install folder? Such as you can choose with the standalone install.

Looks like I'll be moving to Stream today just to get it out of the way.

Sent from my Nexus 7

20. Christopher Elliott

You will need to run your Steam client, but you can put it in "offline mode" if you need to.

Also yes, the 'JSONs' are all in Steam rFactor 2 install folder, in the usual locations.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.