Information regarding rFactor 2 Steam (FAQ)

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by Christopher Elliott, May 2, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bjørn

Bjørn Registered

And here I was thinking not being able to join servers for almost a month was a big effing problem... I stand corrected - moving to Steam is bigger it appears.
    Foolishly I took off my tinfoil hat for good a decade ago when I first got Steam. I do appreciate it when Gaben lubes up when he is doing me good, as it sounds like he is from some of y'alls comments.
    Shame people has had bad experiences with it, I can't imagine it. I have never had one single unpleasant experience - even had refunds because I made a mistake.

2. mama_mia

mama_mia Registered

IMO this is not the right way to go...
    As far as I know you cannot install the same game twice on steam. I have two installations of rF2, one for championships/gaming and another for building/composite mods and test things.
    Will I need to mix it all on the same install?? It won't be good...

Bad move ISI!

3. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Post #14 in this thread explains how

4. tpw

tpw Registered

12Gb

5. JUANCHIOOO

JUANCHIOOO Banned

It is regrettable behavior isi

6. Navigator

Navigator Registered

Well; probably not a lifetime, don't you think?!

7. Wiggin

Wiggin Registered

Hypocrisy

I am curious of the same people here that are crying foul that Steam takes away the rights of the consumer are A) the same people the use their real name to join leagues B) even read the ToS for the stand alone version of rFactor 2.

If you read what was posted regarding the ToS for stand alone rFactor 2 then you would realize it reads almost identical to Steam’s ToS and your account can be terminated for mealy wearing the wrong colored shirt if the powers that be so deem it so. The type of wording we see here is not going to go away and getting upset about it while maybe being a personal win for yourself is not going to change the landscapes of ULA’s as a whole. This is the world we live in now, for better or for worse.

A few have mentioned Steam DRM as the big bad wolf but do you realize that the launcher with login for the stand alone is also DRM ? If you’re so concerned about internet safety and making sure you “own” your games then you have quite an uphill battle. I’m not sure how many realize the information available just by looking up someone’s name online. Something Steam does not require by the way. It seems a bit late to be complaining about Steam being a poor decision. I would love to hear more reasons why people don’t like it other then “omg it’s bad”.

@GCCRacer

self-reactivating automatic updates - What game was this for ? Did you turn off auto updates in the game properties ?

No permanent offline mode - What's your definition of "permanent" ? You said you go online to get tracks/mods so you're clearly online. Do you want to go into a forest and play rf2 with no internet ? That's entirely developer dependent assuming they finally fixed the offline mode on Steam. It worked for me last time my internet went out.

waiting for steam client updates - You can now decline them until later. You would also have to wait for updates for rf2 stand alone or anything else in today's day and age.

steam downtime - Yes, is is annoying, especially because it sounds like the online is tied to Steam servers now or at least the matchmaking. I would like some more info on this from ISI. Would also tie back into the offline option.

steam data leaks/hacks - Yes this is a problem. They handled it very poorly. I'm still not happy about it myself.

I'm not trying to argue, I'm only trying to dispel to me some overblown complaints. Again this is your experience and nothing I can say will change that but perhaps for others reading it's not a one sided story.

I get the feeling many of you are just scared of change.

Now onto my question, can I use the SteamCMD to install a light version to the same directory I would install the Steam install to and just validate the files?

Last edited by a moderator: May 3, 2016
  8. boxer

boxer Registered

My god I hope this goes better than AMS ... from initial download took me about a week to get it up and ruining... Steam kept on re-starting the download half way through...

If I request to change to steam how long before my non steam license stops working?
    Can I stay on non steam and still connect to sessions with updated steam versions?

9. peterchen

peterchen Registered

Not happy with this decision, but is propably no drama for me.

10. stonec

stonec Registered

No, true default size for Steam install is over double that, because you have both the package files and the unpacked content in Installed folder, neither of which you can remove directly.

11. SRGP

SRGP Registered

Thank you ! (@ Stonec : my question was about download size, not intall size, out of context the wording is misleading ;-)

Do you know if I can just put the .RFCMP I already have in a specific folder to prevent Steam from downloading them again ?

12. Flipo

Flipo Registered

It is not a fear of the change, it is the fear that we have the administadores of comuniddes that we have 3,4 dedicated ones and that to install it you have to make many operciones with lines of commands, when now it does in 1 minute, fear of him having to tell to the beginners that they are in you community, as doing a clean installation, fear of that is updated 1 hour before beginning a career, fear of that put you the build 1080 and of 4 days 1084, if, they are a lot of fears.

It is true that legally you cannot do anything against ISI, but legally and ethically it is not correct what they have done with that we have supported this project from the first day.

Very disappointed and cheated with this change.
    Thank you ISI for another **** more.
    I'm sorry for my English but I am very angry ****ed Spanish.

13. Marcel Offermans

Marcel Offermans Registered

I respect that english is not your native language (it is not mine either). I am trying to understand the concerns you are raising, and to answer them. I apologize if I misunderstood any of it.

You say that maintaining multiple dedicated servers might become more complex. The dedicated server install that we currently have is already the same for Steam and non-Steam. Only the way you download it is different. Steam uses a tool called SteamCMD for that. It's basically a single executable that you start with a couple of parameters, all documented in a guide, that will download and install it. After you have done that, you can run the same command again to update it when you want. If you are running multiple servers, you can do that by having multiple player profiles. You never needed multiple installations. If you insist on having those, you can, by just copying one installation, or by using SteamCMD to download and install a second copy into a different folder.

As a Steam user you also have full control over when your client updates. You can turn off all automatic updates, and even if you don't, in the "beta" tab, ISI provides a full list of old builds that you can quickly go back to if you have a league race that uses a different build.

All in all I think (and hope) things are a bit easier with the Steam version. If anybody believes they are not, we're open for suggestions on how to improve.

14. boxer

boxer Registered

Marcel at what point in the process does the non-steam key become invalid?

15. WhiteShadow

WhiteShadow Registered

What you bought is lifetime access to online services

"What will happen to the non-Steam matchmaker?
    It will continue into the future as well."

"When purchasing rFactor2, you will be given two options. Both are the same product, they simply have different pricing structures and one has limitations on online services.
    Online services include all multiplayer racing, including LAN multiplayer."

"How much longer will the non-Steam version of rFactor 2 be updated?
    The update following Build 1084 will be the last update of the non-Steam version."

What I suspect is that following Build 1084 is also going to be final build to Steam but steam futures are going to be updated.

16. boxer

boxer Registered

Good news the offline still active while I'm downloading steam version...:cool:

17. Wiggin

Wiggin Registered

You suspect that the build after 1084 will be the final build for the entire game ? A little confused by your wording.

18. Carr

Carr Registered

I setup steam servers on our VPS yesterday and it was quite simple. I used SteamCMD to install the Lite version into a new folder and then just copied all the content from the old install (Installed, Packages, UserData and plugin files). Once that was done, I updated the existing shortcuts for the 5 profiles I have for servers and they ran just the same. I thought about installing over the top of the old install but thought this way would be better as there was a backup if anything went wrong, you also don't have to shut down your servers during the install process either.

In regards to people crying about downloading the whole thing through Steam again, as I stated previously in the thread, you can copy your existing files into the required Steam directory and verify your cache. This process of having to swap over isn't going to happen this week or potentially for a few months going on previous update releases. During this time you could start downloading the ISI content that you don't currently have to spread out the bulk and reduce delays. ISI may not approve of this method of swapping over due to possible technical problems and Steam not verifying the the files correctly, but if it works and gets you up and running with minimal problems then why not try. Worst case you have to download it all again.

19. Carr

Carr Registered

I also doubt that the next update will be a "final" version. There is body damage including scratching paint, full weather including water on windscreens and helmets as well as wind and humidity. This is just a couple of major things that are partially implemented and would require significant work to complete and I didn't even touch on dirt surfaces.

20. Ruben Miranda

Ruben Miranda Registered

Hello
    I do have steam but only because I bought AC but did not AC so I have not used steam since.
    So here is my question the yearly fee for rf 2 do we pay it the same way to is I or are we going to sign up for steam and pay them.

This might have him asked but I did not want to go thru 4 pages.

Ruben

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.