Information regarding rFactor 2 Steam (FAQ)

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by Christopher Elliott, May 2, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nickcrete

nickcrete Registered

Any idea how long i need to wait before the 1 year subscription (about 10 months left) will be transfered to the new installation ? Sent email about 6 hours ago !

2. wpthayer

wpthayer Registered

I am confused about this whole thing...But I am easily confused. How do I move my rfactor 2 over to steam without re-purchasing?
    Or do I have to buy the game again?
    Sorry if this is a dumb question...

Edit.. Never mind, it's covered in the first post..I'll just have to read better.

3. Navigator

Navigator Registered

Right there!
    Including the fact that -at date of purchase- we were not informed that our lifetime subscribtion would be converted to that 3rd party service, rendering the same lifetime subscribtion useless if you don't.
    One has to virtually hand over your game to a third party.

Wow, law-suits have been started (and won) over less. I hope ISI has thought this through........

Well; I'm not moving to steam: why shouldn't I ask for my money back on the lifetime (not for the first purchase) when in -lets say- a year from now I have an old/ non-updated game? Whats left of lifetime than?

Last edited by a moderator: May 3, 2016
  4. Christopher Elliott

Christopher Elliott Registered

If you want "plug and play" install the Steam client, login, install rFactor 2 from your Steam Library and let it auto-download all ISI content - then just use the world icon in the Launcher, as you normally would. Anything you don't want installed, browse to the Workshop and un-subscribe.

"Tools" method is also manual when it comes to the actual content, you'll have to download rfcmps from our website and install using the Mod Manager, what is different to SteamCMD is the "Tools" method updates to the latest Build automatically when a new one is released.

5. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

+1

6. Anto870

Anto870 Registered

ISI bad step, a really bad step this ... :mad: :mad: :mad:

7. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

You aren't really getting it....
    My rF2 is on Steam since you released it there btw. I have no problem with Steam itself...
    I understand we have to download all of it for the client side (but I don't like it tbh) but doing the same for the server makes no sense man...

8. TOCA2FREAK

TOCA2FREAK Registered

Regarding content from the workshop. If I am running a dedi server using the SteamCMD method. I know how to install a Workshop mod using
    Code:
    S:\Temp>steamcmd.exe +login USERNAME PASSWORD +workshop_download_item 365960 505225177 +quit
    But if the content on the workshop is updated how will I know about this and update my dedi server too?

9. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

Here is an idea.
    Make the dedi server install the lite version
    When you open it for the first time a window appear.
    "Do you want to install all the ISI content?"
    "Yes - I want all the content"
    "No - Let me choose what will be installed"
    If click yes subscribe to all workshop items.
    If click no redirect Steam to the workshop page.

Now if you could do that to the client side too would be good actually :p

10. F1lover

F1lover Registered

Ok I am sorry, but what if you created your rFactor2 account differently than your steam account email??? How do I get the game?? sorry I need help with install on Steam??

OMG very simple/// Bottom left of Steam screen there is a +add game... Add your validation code in that... sorry very simple.

11. Ming

Ming Registered

Sad to know that non-steam version will not be updated anymore...

Disappointment is all I can say...

12. Marcel Offermans

Marcel Offermans Registered

You can run the command again to get the latest version, but there is no automatic way (yet) to check if there actually is an update and to (automatically) install that update for a dedicated server. That still requires you to script/automate a few steps yourself.

13. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

Would be nice to have this for the client version, too.

14. Marcel Offermans

Marcel Offermans Registered

So the dedicated server is actually a "lite" install, that part is covered.

The second part of your idea is actually one of the options we discussed before for the client. In the end we decided against it, because we wanted to have a rich "out of the box" experience for new customers, meaning we wanted everything to be installed. As you probably know you can "unsubscribe" from items in the workshop after the initial install, if you don't want certain content.

I imagine we could consider making a special tool for the dedicated server that lists items in the workshop and allows you to quickly install some or all of them. I personally like the idea of having some tool to manage a dedicated server installation like that.

15. SRGP

SRGP Registered

+1
    Me & my slow connection would very much appreciate the lite download as a first step ! Then let me select manually what I desire to see being downladed & installed on my hard drive...
    Can someone tell how much the first install weights ?

Event though Steam Terms & Conditions versus Consumer Protection laws is a very interesting topic, please let's keep this thread about the technical aspect of the migration.

You are the guys in the know, of course it is easy for you ! And you had time to test & practice, whereas this is an unexpected news for many of us apparently.
    What would help is giving us a sort of delay, say 90 days, before you expect to stop updating the non-Steam version. So that could prevent a rush of questions and acrimony and people who need it will have time to prepare.

In the long run it can be a good thing. Just give time for the transition to run smoothly.

16. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

And why the hell the user shouldn`t decide either he want download all this workshop things or not? The problem is, you can "unsubscribe" items only, after they where installed. It`s not fun to click hundred or more times on "unsubscribe" to get rid of them!

17. myself9

myself9 Registered

I saw this day coming a long time ago.
    I, like most other people, dislike and fear change. It's a pain in the ass. When I first read the "move to Steam" news this morning I strongly considered changing hobbies.
    Having to switch brings up SO many unknowns when it comes to the future of my hosting/track converting/league events/Workshop/etc. I had everything set up PERFECTLY. FFB, Graphics, sound, controls, workflow.....

Maybe it'll be super friggin easy and painless, and having only one "version" of rF2 will make things simpler for ISI and future development will be simpler?
    Fingers crossed.

If anyone lives near Christopher, take him a sandwich. I don't think he'll be leaving his desk for the next 72 hours :)

18. gpfan

gpfan Registered

I have 2 rf2 accounts,1 non steam version and one steam version, how do i manage this? my non steam version is lifetime and my steam versin only offline version, explain me how i will manage the 2 accounts on steam???!!!

19. Don Fryman

Don Fryman Registered

Some type of filter In the Workshop would help so that we could view only subscribed items, and then a "Select All" button and a "Unsubscribe Button"

What do you say ISI?? Make it easier for us to get rid of the stuff we don't want if you are going to force us to install it first.

20. philman

philman Registered

May I renew my on-line subscription before migrating to steam?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.