Information regarding rFactor 2 Steam (FAQ)

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by Christopher Elliott, May 2, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Davvid

Davvid Registered

Could you be more specific where to find that dedicated server ? Because when I look into Tools I can't see any rFactor instance:
    [​IMG]

2. Christopher Elliott

Christopher Elliott Registered

This needs to be from an account that owns rFactor2, to use the Dedicated Server in Tools. But we are looking at getting this available for Steam accounts that do not own rFactor 2. If you want to install a Dedicated Server without login/or from an account that owns rFactor 2, you'll have to use the SteamCMD method for now.

3. Christopher Elliott

You need to download everything, and let install normally.

4. WhiteShadow

WhiteShadow Registered

I can see that many are frustrated and are feeling that they are forced to migrate on Steam. What I like to know is when update following Build 1084 will be the last update of the non-Steam version is it also going to be last update to Steam version :confused: If it is not are non Steam users able to join games hosted with SteamCMD in the future when non Steam and Steam are not using the same build # :confused:

5. Lazza

Lazza Registered

It seems very clear it's only the non-steam version that will only have one more update (otherwise, it wouldn't say 'non-steam' at all). So when the Steam keeps getting new builds non-steam players won't be able to join those newer servers. Presumably steam players can rollback to the final non-steam build if someone wants to run it for both. Realistically we basically need to treat rF2 as a steam game, and everyone's on the same page.

6. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

And why it is not possible, as it is possible with other steam games, to deactivate workshop items from the launcher?

7. WhiteShadow

WhiteShadow Registered

How much longer will the non-Steam version of rFactor 2 be updated?
    The update following Build 1084 will be the last update of the non-Steam version.

Update don`t have to be new build maybe we get some Steam updates in the future but not new build`s, Steam MM filters and new content download system are good examples about that.

8. gpfan

gpfan Registered

I have 2 rf2 accounts,1 non steam version and one steam version, how do i manage this? my non steam version is lifetime and my steam versin only offline version, explain me how i will manage the 2 accounts on steam???!!!

Last edited by a moderator: May 3, 2016
  9. Davvid

Davvid Registered

The thing is I am an owner of rF2 (lifetime) in Steam an still missing that dedicated server in Tools. Maybe some refresh is needed or sth?

10. Christopher Elliott

Ok we'll look into that, thanks.

11. WhiteShadow

WhiteShadow Registered

Yes it is missing but you can host from rF2 launcher, what is the problem?

12. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

It`s working. I had to rename my non steam installation from rfactor2 into rfactor 2, as i (normally) dont use spaces in installation folders.

13. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

good to see you are trying to make it available for non owners too. but please hurry up with this then... league admin was not happy with the news xD
    tbh it should be there from the begining -_-"

14. Christopher Elliott

We do not in any way support copying over non-Steam installs into your Steam directory. Install rFactor 2 as you would any other game, from your Steam Library.

15. Christopher Elliott

You can use the SteamCMD method now without logging in to Steam or owning rFactor 2. If you are running a league, I would recommend this method.

16. GCCRacer

GCCRacer Banned

Very, very disappointed.

As someone who supported RF2 early on when it was quite buggy and not at all full-featured...
    As someone who has avoided Steam (after three bad issues with it on all three games I purchased... )...
    As someone who chose RF2 over AC and pCARS not just but also because it's the only non-steam title...

This is a kick in the balls.

I will not let my control over my games be taken away by a 3rd Party service with Terms of Service that include amongst others the right to lock my account for no reason at all and remove my access to my games. If you chose to align with and force users to join such a venture then thanks for all the fun ISI, but I'll not purchase any other title from you ever again.

17. stonec

stonec Registered

Actually Steam move is keeping the community more together. Steam workshop is still almost empty of quality mods, it will not get populated unless more than a fraction of the community moves to Steam (it's pointless putting mods there that all people can't download). Recent new features (better matchmaker with filters, direct download of all missing components) are only working on Steam version, so with this approach it makes sense to get rid of the non-Steam version.

18. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

well that's rather annoying, we just want to set the server in 2 minutes, sit and drive. The work on mods and tracks is more than enough...
    I hope you at least keep it as rF2 lite as the default install and do not make it auto subscribe to the workshop... server space is a problem!

19. Christopher Elliott

The SteamCMD dedi method is a lite install, and it doesn't come with any content installed. It took me 20mins to set up all of the ISIO servers, it's very easy to do. Just follow the instructions in the Guide and you'll be good ;)

20. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

right but I meant the other one, not the SteamCMD method ;) I mean.. when you install the server from Steam should be the lite version and nothing more. Then we subscribe to the steam workshop items manually, The way it is in first post looks like we have to install the full thing and then remove what we don't want. Not nice!
    Please more plug and play and less bs ;)

Last edited by a moderator: May 3, 2016
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.