Information regarding rFactor 2 Steam (FAQ)

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by Christopher Elliott, May 2, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Woodee

Woodee Registered

Works no different for league or modding... same files, just all in the same place (no core and data path).

2. Foxiol

Foxiol Registered

"What happens to my non-Steam yearly online subscription when I convert?
    For those who still have a decent amount of time remaining on their account, we can work with them to transfer that time over to Steam. Please use the following email to make the request: steam-up@rfactor.net"

So should I add rFactor 2 now to my Steam account or send an e-mail first asking for them to give me "my yearly online" subscription? (I bought the online subscription the day "2016-03-21")

PS: Already sent the e-mail.

Last edited by a moderator: May 3, 2016
  3. Saabjock

Saabjock Registered

Is there anyway within the game interface to see exactly how much time I have, before my current subscription is due for renewal?

edit:
    Never mind...I found it.
    I have 153 days left until renewal.

4. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

no need to call it rF3 as they'd have to get licenses again. But some bigger update you know, like rF2 3.0 ;) Steam only, graphic engine update, DX version update, business model update, etc :p then I'd be happy.
    Perfect excuse to break all the mods out there since ISI is always stuck into the "we don't want to mess with moders" excuse :p

5. Morbo

Morbo Registered

This link just has a form to enter my email that i registered rF2 with, so it can send me email with new steam license key. I can't see the actual instructions until I submit that form and convert my license to steam.

Not exactly a re-assuring experience when I see this on that page:
    Is there somewhere that lists the exact steps that will need to be done to convert from non-steam to steam before I actually commit to doing it? I don't want to commit to something that is a black box without knowing all the steps that will be required before I do so. This needs to be explained IN DETAIL since you are FORCING all your customers to completely change platforms.

I'm assuming I'll need to:
    1. Backup userdata/packages folder?
    2. uninstall non-steam rf2?
    3. install rf2 via steam?
    4. Apply new steam code that will be emailed to me

????

6. wrxxy

wrxxy Registered

And and what happens if you don't wanna use steam, do you offer refunds?

7. TheGame316

TheGame316 Registered

Another thing is, what if you don't have Steam. Do you fill out the form and that signs you up, or do you need to sign up to Steam first. Your link to instructions telss people nothing, except that your old license is void once you proceed. Until clear instructions are provided before proceeding then I would expect uptake to be low.

8. Skan

Skan Registered

For those wondering how it happens.... Once You click the button to convert Your rF2 to the steam version You will get an email immediately (was in my case anyway) with Your steam key. If You already have steam go to games->activate a product on steam. From there, the rest is straight forward. As for the old install... I deleted the folder in documents and the main folder. Of course I had to download whatever (non ISI or 3PA) cars/tracks I didn't have backed up but that was not a big deal.

9. MaD_King

MaD_King Registered

Yes !! Same here, because I have an installation for modding, one for tests, one for racing.
    I need to be able to do that if I have to switch on Steam.

Could you give us a tutorial to do that with steam?

Other question for the Dedicated server. Today I install the Lite version of rF2 only (with limited rfcmps/rfmod) on our dedicated league machine.
    What is the procedure to get a server up, need to get Steam and an account linked to the game, or can we still use the lite to host without login in the game?

This choice to force to go to steam is very annoying for our league and modding team. So we need the details to be able to reproduce the same scheme we done without steam. If it's too complicated/limited, we will envisage to leave rF2 to another game ...

Not very happy of this decision from ISI.

10. Ho3n3r

Ho3n3r Registered

It's literally higher up in this thread, did you even read it?

Steam works awesomely for me since February with rFactor 2. I've had some issues but none were directly related to Steam, but rather stuff I had to get used to.

The issues I've experienced with the matchmaker was related to the game itself and not at all to do with Steam.

11. Yigit Yusuf Mutlu

Yigit Yusuf Mutlu Registered

i donot use steam, what happens, can i refund?

12. Christopher Elliott

Christopher Elliott Registered

For the Dedicated server you can use the SteamCMD. You do not need a login and you can auto-update via CMD. I use this method myself for the ISIO servers, it's very simple once setup - Setup time approx 20mins.

Multi-install was explained here by Marcel: http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.p...-2-Steam-(FAQ)?p=421881&viewfull=1#post421881

13. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Anyone want to take a stab at the next ISI mod release?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_steam_road_vehicles

:p

In all seriousness, as a past non-fan of steam who's never gone back to it, I think people need to be more open-minded about this. Reading what people have said in this thread and some stuff in others, it doesn't sound all that bad.

14. Ernie

Ernie Registered

Will there be a usual scheduled weekday for build updates?
    I'm asking because if you have planned league races (e.g. every Thursday), i would appreciate to know, when build updates will usually rolled out, just to avoid problems for league admins and participants.

15. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

How can i migrate, without downloading all tracks & mods again?

16. Carr

Carr Registered

Once you add the game to your Steam Library you should be able to just copy your existing rF2 folder into your Steam games directory, eg. ....\Steam\SteamApps\Common\rFactor 2.
    After that, you right click on it in the library and go properties. Find the option to verify game cache and it should verify the files and update any it needs to.
    I am not on Steam yet, but I believe you need to unsubscribe from any ISI content in the workshop that you don't have in your old version and don't want to install/download.

Am not 100% on that but it has worked for other games for me, someone will correct if it is wrong in any way.

17. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

Thanks for the hints & tipps. Means that, i`m automaticly subscribed to all mods & tracks from the workshop? Hope not...

18. MarcG

MarcG Registered

you are, I went through and unsubscribed once I had everything completed (I just did a fresh install with my Steam move last week so downloaded the lot overnight). Once you've done that then it's a breeze, certainly the Workshop area could do with some work especially with detailing exactly what it is that downloads - hopefully that's something ISI can manage if not then Steam themselves. Overall I'm happy I made the switch, already got AC & AMS on Steam so it's a no brainer for me.

19. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

Sadly...it`s not working. I have to go the long way...downloading everything. :(

20. MaD_King

MaD_King Registered

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.