Information regarding rFactor 2 Steam (FAQ)

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by Christopher Elliott, May 2, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stonec

stonec Registered

How do users deal with every other sim on the market that is now on Steam? The answer is single install. Multi install is mostly a leftover habit from rF1 days when it was necessary for parallel mods to work. Although as mentioned in earlier post there is some way to get it work for Steam as well for those who still need other install for whatever the reason. Anyway it's logical progress from ISI to move things towards Steam integration, rF2 should have been Steam only from the beginning and this discussion would have been avoided.

Last edited by a moderator: May 2, 2016
  2. Prodigy

Prodigy Registered

Maybe because they need to do double job with maintaining it and dealing with troubleshooting on both versions instead focusing on one?

3. Makatak

Makatak Registered

Could you please tell exactly what we have to do to transfer time limited online subscription?

And some e-mail notification about this would be nice. Not everyone check forum.

4. Marcel Offermans

Marcel Offermans Registered

I am driving myself in several leagues that sometimes require me to go back to an older build. I use the Steam version for that as selecting a different build is a simple matter of choosing it from a drop down menu in the "beta" tab. Steam will automatically download the required files (which are only a few, so I am usually up and running within a minute). By switching I found I don't need multiple installs anymore (which is what I was doing before Steam).

5. Christopher Elliott

Christopher Elliott Registered

I've updated this in the FAQ:

6. Chefmark

Chefmark Registered

What about dedicated servers, like the one we rent from NRT. Do they have to go to Steam?

7. Ozzy

Ozzy Registered

Is it possible to have additional packages folders outside of the steam directory?

8. Christopher Elliott

Christopher Elliott Registered

Yes, this works exactly the same.

9. Marcel Offermans

Marcel Offermans Registered

Through Steam, ISI offers a freely downloadable dedicated server which is functionally equivalent to the non-Steam one, so NRT will have to start using those. That should be no problem though. There is a Steam guide on how to do this.

10. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

Would be less trouble if you did like Reiza tbh

11. WhiteShadow

WhiteShadow Registered

rFactor2 Steam Dedicated server is working like it does with AMS, if you are hosting from you Steam account.

12. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

I'm not talking about the server

13. WhiteShadow

WhiteShadow Registered

Ahh got bit lost sorry, you mean only Steam release from the begining, I agree :)

14. stonec

stonec Registered

Reiza changed the name of their game from GSCE to Automobilista when they did the Steam move. ISI could name the Steam-only build "rF3", I guess you would be happy then :).

15. Carr

Carr Registered

OK, am I reading this right? We are all being forced to convert to Steam? If this is the case, for the guys running a VPS are we now required to purchase a copy on Steam to be able to run servers? What is the timeline for this happening? Can you still host multiple servers from a Steam version?

16. Woodee

Woodee Registered

Why would people need to purchase again when you can convert a version to Steam already listed in the FAQ?

17. Carr

Carr Registered

You can currently run dedicated servers off an install without purchase, this is fairly common place for people running VPS's.

Also, what is the minimum purchase requirement to run dedi servers on Steam? Can you use just the off-line purchase?

18. Crankie

Crankie Registered

We are supposed to be a community, why force people to go to steam if they don't want to , non steam users should get the same up dates

19. Woodee

Woodee Registered

When you installed rFactor 2, did you read the agreement or just skip through to get to the file install part?

20. Skan

Skan Registered

When I first saw this thread I was irritated. I do not like steam but I do have to use it for entertainment. I converted my rF2 account to steam today and there have been no problems. I am able to add/remove things just like the non-steam version. No performance drop, nothing negative. So far (other than rF2 being in a different place on the hard drive)there is no difference at all that I can tell but I'm not in a league nor am I a modder.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.