Information regarding rFactor 2 Steam (FAQ)

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by Christopher Elliott, May 2, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Christopher Elliott

Christopher Elliott Registered

Greetings rFactor community,

As you may know, rFactor 2 has been available on Steam since November 2015. A lot of development and testing has gone into creating access to the Steam platform and, most importantly, distributing rFactor2 content through the Workshop. To take full advantage of this feature-rich platform, we are concentrating our development effort on the Steam version of rFactor 2. The Workshop will be further integrated to serve as a centralized hub for mods and facilitate user created content.
    As our development focus will shift to the Steam version of rFactor 2 over the next few months, we recommend users convert their copy of rFactor 2 to Steam to fully take advantage of the new features as they become available.

The following FAQ should answer the most important questions.

How do I convert to rFactor 2 Steam version?
    Here you will find the full instructions on converting rFactor 2 to Steam.

https://commerce.rfactor.net/steam-transfer-form

Can I convert my lifetime online to Steam?
    Yes, lifetime will be carried over to your rFactor 2 Steam version.

What happens to my non-Steam yearly online subscription when I convert?
    For those who still have a decent amount of time remaining on their account, we can work with them to transfer that time over to Steam. Please use the following email to make the request: steam-up@rfactor.net

Will I still be able to get a Lite version of rFactor 2 on Steam?
    To make a “strip down” version of rFactor 2, which looks and behaves exactly like a “Lite” version, you'll simply need to unsubscribe from all content on Steam Workshop.

Can I still install content manually or will I have to use workshop?
    No need to choose, both are possible. You will still be able to place .rfcmps and .rfmods in your package folder located in your Steam rFactor 2 directory to install any piece of content manually, exactly the same as before.

Is hosting a dedicated server via Steam very different or more involved?
    Actually, Steam offers multiple ways of hosting, and they are all fully compatible.
    We now have a dedicated server distribution available via SteamCMD, which functions as a very lightweight version of the Dedicated Server, available to anyone -- no need to log in to the Steam client. Updating the dedicated server distribution is as simple as re-running the command line script once a new Build becomes available.
    For Steam client users, via the “Tools” menu in Steam, a separate dedicated server can be installed and will show up as another entry in your gaming library. The server will be auto-updated when new Builds are released, completely maintenance-free for you.
    So you can choose between user friendliness and manual flexibility, whichever works best for you.

Will all of my plugins, custom UIs/HUDs, car skins, still be compatible with the Steam version of rFactor 2?
    Yes, all external plugins, car skins, and customs UIs/HUDs that are currently compatible with your non-Steam version of rFactor 2 should be fully compatible with the Steam version.

How much longer will the non-Steam version of rFactor 2 be updated?
    The update following Build 1084 will be the last update of the non-Steam version.

Will I still be able to run rFactor 2 non-Steam and put up a non-Steam dedicated server in the future?
    Yes, there are no plans to remove this feature.

What will happen to the non-Steam matchmaker?
    It will continue into the future as well.

I run a league and we might need to stay on a previous Build, is that possible in Steam?
    Yes, you can select a previous version.

2. ECAR_Tracks

ECAR_Tracks Registered

Is there any performance diference from regular desktop version to Steam version?

rFactor 2 under heavy conditions (rain, lots of cars, night racing) is quite CPU/GPU demanding, so minimal differences can be crucial.

3. Nimugp

Nimugp Registered

lol, I think I should go work as a psychic, I converted 1 hour before this post :p

4. Kresh

Kresh Registered

Is there more information on how we can do this?, I always wanted to transfer to steam but I have 174 days left on my account as of today.

5. argo0

argo0 Registered

I updated my subscription a month ago or so. How will you work with me to transfer that time over?

6. yoss

yoss Registered

just one ask : how can we have one steam game installed two time ?

7. Woodee

Woodee Registered

Why?

8. Marcel Offermans

Marcel Offermans Registered

No, there is no difference in performance.

9. Navigator

Navigator Registered

Having very bad experiences with steam in the past and promising myself to never use again.......well, you make me have to.
    I don't think thats a nice thing to do.

Anyway; for me there is one important question: if I convert to steam, is the game still on my hard drive than? I mean; I don't drive that much anymore and made it my hobby to adjust/convert cars and tracks (and than never drive it ;) ) and I fiddle a lot with all the folders/.mas/rfcmp and so on on my drive.
    Will I still be able to do so?

10. kkacper

kkacper Registered

I think so, yes. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but your folders are all simply put into your "*:\*\Steam\steamapps\common\rFactor 2\" folder and what used to be your core and data (at least how I recall calling them) folders are all in there and so you can do your stuff in there :)

11. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

This is really a serious question.

12. ben willis

ben willis Registered

extremely poor move from ISI, removing the ability for multiple installs here really screws over leagues use. e.g i need two installs one to provide cameras with an overlay and one for racing, it is an extreme faff to remove said overlay just to race. stupid stupid move

13. yoss

yoss Registered

i think

14. Marcel Offermans

Marcel Offermans Registered

If you want to, that is possible. There are a couple of ways you can do that:

1) You can literally make a copy of the Steam installation folder and run rFactor 2 from there by double clicking the Launcher yourself. This is extremely easy to do. The downside is that this copy won't magically update itself. You can always update the main install and make a fresh copy afterwards.

2) A variation on 1) is to change the config.ini to point to different folders (cars / tracks) by providing a startup parameter in the Steam Launcher. I described this before for rFactor 1, but you can do this in a similar way for rFactor 2: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=402188900 ...if you only use different folders for mods, you can still have Steam update the core files.

3) You can use SteamCMD (a command line tool) to download a second install. You can run this command again to update automatically. Command line options to select a specific build of rFactor 2 are also available. If there's enough interest I can give concrete examples, but SteamCMD is a generic tool and quite well documented on the internet (there are even graphical front-ends for it if you think the command line is too daunting.

Juergen-BY likes this.
  15. yoss

yoss Registered

THANKS Marcel !!

16. sman

sman Registered

I dont want to go steam and if you make me go to steam then give me lifetime online subscription for 30 $ or so cuz i accidently clicked wrong choice when i bought rf2 / already 4 years paying this anual fee

17. steviejb

steviejb Registered

I'm a big user of Steam in general, but I do not use it for rFactor 2 and I'm not exactly impressed with going fully to Steam. I can understand why ISI would want to, but there are a number of reasons. I like having as many installs I as like. It just keeps things cleaner when it comes to league racing, from both a racing and admin point of view. A single Steam install will quite quickly become a convoluted mess of installed cars, tracks, skins and setups. Then you also have what Ben brings up. There are leagues that have multiple needs and restricting the options the users have just seems short sighted.

18. Christopher Elliott

Christopher Elliott Registered

It was just explained above how to setup multi-installs.

19. ben willis

ben willis Registered

its not exactly the easiest or most elegant solution for most people is it though? very short sighted! why you cant support both like currently i cannot fathom?

20. Euskotracks

Euskotracks Registered

I am not exactly happy to read this news. We didn't buy this game in steam so we shouldn't be forced to go to steam now as we are. Dropping updates for non steam version is equivalent to killing it.

Thanks ISI for the continuous privileged treat to the fellows that have supported rF2 since the very first day it was released. Count on us for whatever you need. We are "at your command" like the soldiers of Warcraft.

While Oculus Rift offered a free CV1 to the guys that first supported the project in the early beginnings others only think on gaining new customers and do not hesitate to harm existing loyal customers in that process.

Enviado desde mi ONE A2001 mediante Tapatalk

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.