rFactor 2 Build 1084 Now Available!

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by Christopher Elliott, Apr 28, 2016.

1. WhiteShadow

WhiteShadow Registered

Do you league have TS? You are doing it all wrong mate :)

2. LTC_Mike

LTC_Mike Registered

Funny ... that it worked with my client ... if it's all wrong ;)

TS: yes we have ... I'll send you a PN with the IP and the PW

Edit:
    Well, after a very kind TS session with @WhiteShadow - many thanks again for your advice! - we could nail the problems down to at least some of these facts:

• before installing the steamcmd version of rF2 you have to be sure everything of the non-Steam version is eliminated - the unistall-function seems to not do this job very careful and leaves e.g. registry entries pointing to the wrong directories and files
    • the lack of GetMod-Support (more and more?) mod content seems to have causes some more trouble (a warning that GetMod is missing or something like that before setting up a content for multiplayer would be helpful)
    • some Mods (Flat6 for example) seem to not work or not work correctly together with the Steam client version of rF2 in multiplayer sessions

Maybe we would have to wait until the dust settles down after the complete shift to Steam after the next but one build and more and intense checking has to be done what works after that and what not... Besides: with more and more lack of automatic content exchange rF2 is loosing one of its real USPs against other sim racing titles. So I really hope that this won't be dropped someday, because more and more mods don't use it and I hope that the most advanced mods would make use of that feature again...

Another thing, that is really needed, is a dedicated server that allows similar functionality like the full featured version plus advanced multiplayer setup functionallity without the need to apply a full featured steam account. If it couldn't be done for free, maybe a price reduced server module or a rebate for owners of a rF2 version could be a solution to provide the racing community with the tools they need to run their "business".

Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2016
  3. Flaux

Flaux Registered

I also have performance issues since updating to the newest build. I think I skipped the first 1080 build and went directly to 1084. When I run URD cars at 3rd party tracks I get a strange pulsing CPU bar (purple). It always goes from left to right quite frequently. Frames stay on top because the gfx is working okay but I have slowdowns because of that. It makes playing the game impossible. Still need to try it with stock content but it is strange and never happened before.

I already deleted log and player files to create new ones... didn't help so far. Any ideas? I had the feeling it was getting better when I unchecked the steam plugin. (non steam version here)

4. Christopher Elliott

Christopher Elliott Registered

Flaux, does your controller.JSON have this line set to false:

"Use thread":false,
    "Use thread#":"Use a separate thread to issue FFB

5. Flaux

Flaux Registered

Hey Christopher, will try later when I'm back home. Thx in advance!

6. wgeuze

wgeuze Registered

We've had a league race yesterday in wet conditions. The wet tires ran hotter than the dry tires did in dry conditions. Is this possibly related to this build, or is this a known issue?
    The cars used were the BTCC cars from Simracingforlife, and ISI's Civic, track was ISI Atlanta.

Because of this issue I'm thinking of banning wet conditions from being used in the league, and I rather not resort to this because changing conditions highlights the dynamics of rF2 in a great way. But this wasn't exactly a positive experience :p

7. stonec

stonec Registered

Brabham BT20 was the first ISI car with proper wet tire cooling dynamics, I reckon it was released sometimes in winter 2015. So any car older than that or a car which hasn't been updated by ISI since 2015 is probably not much worth driving in wet. You could rebuild the mod tires with all the new wet parameters, but it's a bit complicated to explain.

8. bwana

bwana Registered

Just a reminder please , are we supposed to have HDR on or off ?? Tried both on new version of Indy and cant decide which I prefer really .must test in different light at different tracks now I guess.

9. tpw

tpw Registered

The official ISI line is that the game is meant to run in HDR and tracks and assets are designed with it in mind.

10. Bjørn

Bjørn Registered

ON, bwana, ON! :p

11. bwana

bwana Registered

Ok thanks guys, kind of loose track and testing at Indy didnt make a great deal of difference..

12. stonec

stonec Registered

There is no UI option to turn HDR off since build 1080, so the answer is rather obvious.

13. Flaux

Flaux Registered

Had the chance to try this out today and setting it from true to false did work Christopher. Thank you!

14. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Paul, you might want to update your opinion in the thread(s) you've talked about STS settings. People will still be inclined to try quite low values based on what you've said.

*I might add I've compared the new Accuforce JSON file to the (outdated) T500 profile, and there are no FFB related changes to speak of (only filtering, from 4 to 0, but I think most T500 users run 0 anyway). Just controller assignments. So any improvement is rF2 related rather than any profile tricks.

Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2016
  15. Korva7

Korva7 Registered

About his:

"Added a separate thread to issue FFB commands which is needed for some drivers that block. This functionality improves upon and therefore replaces the old Controller.JSON value “Skip updates”, but can also be disabled by setting the new Controller.JSON value “Use thread” to false."

Is there any way/trick to get the old "skip updates" function back?
    I can't really get my osw wheel feel good without that setting.

It makes ffb feel very artificial with the full update rate.
    Using lots of filter reduces the problem but at the same time it makes ffb much less detailed/more numb.
    I hoped that changing servo would help with this problem but it didn't.

Last edited by a moderator: May 24, 2016
  16. Lazza

Lazza Registered

The separate thread shouldn't affect the actual FFB at all. It just stops the game itself waiting for the FFB update to complete before continuing; it doesn't change the values that are used.

But, maybe as above, the FFB has changed at some point and therefore feels different...?

Skipping updates should have resulted in more harsh and more artificial feeling, unless the game averaged the values in which case smoothing would be nearly identical. What is it you don't like about it?

17. Korva7

Korva7 Registered

What i don't like in full update rate is that those high frequenzy forces feels harsh, artificial and notchy.
    Heusinkveld said somewhere that automobilista's new higher ffb rate can make ffb "notchy" for some so they still have adjustment for that. I really hope rF2 still had that too.

Using filter doesn't seem to have same effect as skip updates had. It doesn't cut those high frequencys off that well, and it makes all other stuff too soft.

I am not quite sure if this about the wheel not being able to output those high frequencys with good quality (like subwoofer)
    or is it just me considering those high frequencys unrealistic and unpleasant.

Edit: wanted to add that, yes The separate thread function doesn't affect ffb. The problem for me is that i was using the skip updates function to improve ffb and now it's gone.
    I am not sure how smoothing/filter works, but if it outputs avarage of several ffb frames, it still doesn't cut off high frequency changes in output force, ie. that avarage can still chance at rate of 400 hz.

Last edited by a moderator: May 25, 2016
  18. Eddy

Eddy Registered

Did you try lowering tbw value in granite? Lowering that should/could make your ffb more to your liking (read less harsh)

19. Korva7

Korva7 Registered

Yes i have. Using lower tbw helps, but doesn't solve the problem alone.

20. stonec

stonec Registered

STS of 0.2 something would equal very nonlinear forces, something like the red curve in this figure. I've yet to figure out why people adjust this setting as I've seen no hint from ISI that this setting needs adjusting. Anything lower than 1 (linear) feels like the forces react very delayed to me (using a T300RS).