[REL] RacePad

Discussion in 'Other' started by Tygernoot, Apr 26, 2016.

1. Tygernoot

Tygernoot Registered

Hi,

It's interesting you managed to connect once. Regardless of whether you are in the main menu or in a session, the actual connection between the iPad and your PC is the same. The only difference is that there is less data being exchanged. The logs also show that the plugin is running properly and managed to open the socket.

When you did manage to connect in the main menu, it should show a green banner saying there's no session active. Have you then tried loading a track (without disconnecting it)?

Some other troubleshooting steps you could take:
    - Are you connecting using your internal network IP? And not your external IP by any chance? The latter should technically work if the ports are properly forwarded, but may be less reliable.
    - Could you try using a different port? Perhaps there's some type of conflict. Since you're connecting internally you normally don't have to open/forward ports on your router, but just on your PC's firewall. Or are you unable to make changes to it?

If we can't figure it out like this I'll build you a new plugin file with some additional debug logging to see where things go wrong exactly :)

2. =fieldzy=

=fieldzy= Registered

This is a great app. Thankyou

3. dradecki

dradecki Registered

- Yes I did try loading a track without disconnecting it.
    - I am on an internal network
    - I will try a different port, setup up rules in the firewall to open the port, but I had no difference. But I'll try another port.

Update: Running out of ideas, tried a different port, tried a port utility, but no connection. Very frustrating.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 29, 2016
  4. Antti Hyytiainen

Antti Hyytiainen Registered

Hey there dradecki,

could you try and see if the port is listening when you start rF2? One easy way to do it is to download a handy little software called TCPView: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/tcpview.aspx

It should give you an indication of whether the port is open, as in the screenshot: [​IMG]

Ed is looking into the debug plugin, but it might take a few days with his current schedule. We discussed about the issue and figured that in the meanwhile, it might be a good idea to try and see if there are any network-related things that may have slipped below the radar so far. Are you using Windows firewall? Third party internet security? Anti-Virus software? (I've had some trouble with Avast in the past..)

Also, do you have a chance to test the App with rFactor?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2016
  5. Antti Hyytiainen

Hey there dradecki,

did you manage to verify if the port was open and listening?

One easy way to do this is to download TCPView: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/tcpview
    Launching rF2 and checking connections with the tool should then give you a view similar to this: [​IMG]

Ed is looking into the debug plugin, but it'll probably take a few days with his current schedule. Meanwhile it might be worthwhile to try and rule some more things out, to give us a better idea what is causing this.

- Would you be able to test the App with rFactor by any chance?
    - Are you using Windows firewall or something 3rd party?
    - Do you have an anti-virus software installed? (I've had some trouble with Avast in the past)

6. jimagn

jimagn Registered

I'm really enjoying this app. Excellent work! The installation was quick and easy. I thought the track map might be broken, but it just takes a little time to draw. It works intuitively and looks good. Not that I need any distractions while I'm driving. ;)

7. Antti Hyytiainen

Hey there dradecki,

sorry about the silence - Ed won't be around for a few days and I've been having trouble getting through with my posts.

When you used the port utility, did it show the port status as 'listening'? For example, here's what I see with TCPView when rF2 is running and the plugin is installed: [​IMG] It shouldn't matter whether you are in the main menu or on track, the port should show up in the list.

If you want to give it a try with TCPView, here's a link: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/tcpview.aspx

Ed will look into the debug plugin, but like mentioned above, he won't be around for a few days. So in the meantime it might be a good idea to try and figure out if there's an outside factor influencing the connection. Are you using Windows firewall or a third party one? Internet security software perhaps? Probably some kind of anti-virus software? I've had my fair share of problems with Avast in the past..

Could you try disabling those one by one, momentarily? Also, do you have a chance to try Racepad with the rFactor plugin?

8. Antti Hyytiainen

Thanks for the feedback. :) The track map is an average line generated from the first three valid timed laps, so in some cases it may take some time.

9. Christopher Elliott

Christopher Elliott Registered

This is working perfect for me on my iPad mini. Very nice work, thank you :)

EDIT: and I'm on Win10

10. Antti Hyytiainen

That's good to hear. :) I think someone else was running it with Win 10 too, so it doesn't appear that the OS would cause any connection issues.

11. dradecki

dradecki Registered

Hi Antti,

I was looking at TCPView the other day, and it looks identical to your screenshot. Port 27227 is set to listening. Not sure what to do next. This is a shame because your utility is exactly what I'm looking for. Weird thing is I can ping my computer from my iPad, and from my computer to my iPad. Without a doubt its a weird port issue on my system, but I'm not sure what it is.

Update: I played around with the firewall rules and wasn't successful. The only way to get this to work was to disable my public firewall when I am running rfactor 2. Well at least I can use this now.

Last edited by a moderator: May 1, 2016
  12. Antti Hyytiainen

If you start rF2 and try to connect with RacePad, does anything happen in TCPView? For reference, this is after connecting and disconnecting for a few times:

[​IMG]

As the plugin is working correctly, it seems that something is blocking the connection. I'm no expert, but it would make sense that it's the remote port that gets blocked. Did you try disabling your firewall and / or anti-virus?

13. jimagn

jimagn Registered

Are there plans to be able to customize the display, such as choose which items are shown, reduce the number of drivers shown, or increase the font size? Great work. :)

14. Antti Hyytiainen

In fact we do have something planned regarding view customization, but these are more initial ideas rather than something set in stone. Can you be more specific of the items or views you would like to have more control over? Reduce the number of drivers shown in timing view, or in other views too? Which fonts do you think could use resizing?

15. jimagn

jimagn Registered

I'd like to just see tire temps, tire wear, damage, fuel usage, and the track map on one screen, for instance. Then I can switch screens for timing info.

16. Antti Hyytiainen

Thanks. We'll see if there's a way to make RP more modular in the future. :)

17. jimagn

jimagn Registered

Thanks. In the mean time, I'm using wedge HUD in addition to RacePad, using wedge for minimal information on screen and can glance at RacePad for more detail when appropriate.

18. Kendo1978

Kendo1978 Registered

I love this app.

I find the UI in RF2 doesn't always clearly show me information like my position in the race or how many laps to go but having this app open during sessions is a big help. It really helps to create a bit more tension in Qualifying as well, being able to see live other drivers going purple and bettering your time.

19. Goanna

Goanna Registered

This run perfectly for me (dx11 and W10), so for those who don't want to transition from dx9 to dx11 because there is no trackmap, if you have an iPad this is a solution.

20. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

does this still work?

download to my ipad , how do I associate it to an online session so it (ipad) grabs the needed info ? ?