StockCarRules.dll explanation

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Carlos Carvalho, Apr 26, 2016.

1. wrxxy

wrxxy Registered

Sry my bad 6 days....

2. guod

guod Registered

Yep. I lied. :) Waiting on ISI to vett the information. I've asked they do it sometime this weekend so I can get it out.

3. Yoeri Gijsen

Yoeri Gijsen Registered

Can the stock car rules be used with DW12 on Indy, or is it exclusive to the stock car mod?

Last year we ran the race with an adjusted rFm, but has been a horrible drag since the files went .JSON and lack proper explanation (which was present before that change). I wonder if that will still work...

Looking forward to that write-up in any case. ;)

4. guod

guod Registered

Similar but not exactly the same. Best to use two different sets of rules and rfm. For example, StockCars use Lucky Dog, IndyCars do not.

I have 6 people reviewing the manual. 4 have replied back. One sent me a message a little while ago he is looking at the contents now. The sixth though is the dev who has the most "hands on" with these, so his input is critically important to confirm the information has been vetted. The only thing worse IMO than you all not having the info is getting the info and it being erronous.

I made the mistake of replying the write-up was in progress. I should have kept quiet until it was signed-off. Lesson learned. That said, they do want it out, I will keep nudging the final reviewer, and I'll stay on it.

Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2016
  5. Yoeri Gijsen

Yoeri Gijsen Registered

Thanks for the reply.

We do actually use the Lucky Dog, because we think it's a fun feature.

Last time we manually edited the .rFm to include or discard certain features. I remember we tried out different settings with caution length, frozen grid order and pit rules. However, that was before .JSON, after which it became harder to check what was what exactly.

We're not running it until halfway through July, so I'll patiently wait for the write-up. ;)

6. guod

guod Registered

Yep, understand. We use two session Knockout qualifying instead of the proper 3 session used in NASCAR. Our guys want to "git racin'" :) so 2 works better for us. I am trying to present in the write-up the correct info then folks can customize as they deem appropriate for their league.

Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2016
  7. Yoeri Gijsen

Yoeri Gijsen Registered

Hehe, yeah, it works like that, doesn't it? ;)

For Indy we'll just go with the 6 laps (4 hot) private qualy.

I have to say that THIS article on SimHQ did provide some help. Only the settings in the CustomPlugin.JSON seemed off.

8. guod

guod Registered

An update - no update. ;)

I haven't forgotten.
    5 of the 6 people I have looking at the manual have signed-off on it.
    The 6th person, the developer who provided most all of the plugin work for it, is supposed to look at it this next week.

9. Taris Henrique

Taris Henrique Registered

Thanks guod for your hard work. I want to know if WAVE AROUND rule are working now in StockCarRule.dll .

10. Yoeri Gijsen

Yoeri Gijsen Registered

Lucky Dog worked before SCR.dll, so I think it still does. From what I've seen there is still an entry in the .rFm-file.

11. Yoeri Gijsen

Yoeri Gijsen Registered

Question:

Do players have to activate the StockCarRules.dll in the CustomPlayerVariables.JSON as well as the server, or is that only required for the server?

12. guod

guod Registered

Technically, if a driver practices only on the server, then only the server needs the settings active.

If you plan to also practice offline, setting it the same as the server is advisable.

13. Christopher Elliott

Christopher Elliott Registered

For multiplayer "players" do not have to activate the Stockcar plugin in CustomPlayerVariables.JSON, this is server-side only.

If however you want to run Stockcar in single player, then yes, you will need to activate the plugin.

14. Termite

Termite Registered

Hey Christopher, What good does it do to activate or deactivate the plugin?

AI under caution using Stockcars needs to be fixed. You can try it your self, If you setup a server just like you would as if hosting as administrator and join, go to track run a lap or 2, go into pits get fuel and tires, while sitting in the pits or going down pit road, throw a yellow flag (/throwyellow). Now if you pull out and get across the end of pit road before the last car in the field you should be in front of that car, right? But no you’re at the end of the line and it tells you to stay behind the driver in front of you 1.0 laps. If you stop and wait for the driver to come around you will be two laps down. It happens every time for human drivers and AI drivers if you're a lap down.

And the AI doesn’t know where they are supposed to be; they are stopping and waiting for what I don’t know?

Sometimes it goes green on the backstretch because you have to wait on the AI to lineup, there not lined up because they don't know where to be, and then they take off leaving which puts you way behind the field.

Yes, I'm using the Stockcar Rules (Turned on in CustomPluginVariables) and Using the Stockcar ISI RFM.

15. mschreiner

mschreiner Registered

That stuff is being looked at as it does cause issues with Multi-player races as well. I think ISI is on the right track to getting this bug fixed so the stock car experience will be much more enjoyable in the future. This is one of the hardest things to get right with stock car rules but probably one of the most important things as well, to keep the cars in the right order and adjusting them properly before green flag drops after a caution.

16. Depco

Depco Registered

With respect to the stock cars just stopping on the track, it appears to me that the car that is upfront and has stopped is simply waiting for all the others to pass him by before rejoining the line. However, the cars following the car that has stopped do not want to pass in order to get to their proper place in line. This seems to me to be related to the AI's aggression and willingness to pass each other.

Once the car behind the stopped car gets around its rooms away and then the next car in line comes up behind the stopped car sits for a little bit figures out that it has to go around the car and then does so. This will happen with a long line of cars if the car that has been shuffled to the back of the field is near the front of the line.

Perhaps uping the AI aggression would aid in the AI cars more efficiently finding their place in line.

17. TPG

TPG Registered

I hope this drops soon, I've got a StockCar series starting in 3 weeks..

18. guod

guod Registered

Still waiting for the ISI dev to review. I do not want to release this without his sign-off.

19. Depco

Depco Registered

Seriously, If you wait on them it may never get released... :rolleyes: :p

20. Carlos Carvalho

Carlos Carvalho Registered

In our league we are running a StockCar championship and we had some drivers that where having problems during yellow flags and were given penalty laps on Green Flag.

We just found that the problem had to do with the Safety Car.
    Those particular drivers were not seeing the Safety Car during that race when everyone else was seeing the SC. They say that in their HUD (that horizontal bar with all cars relative position) the SC was stopped in the pits and they were overtaking him every lap.

Those same drivers could see the Safety Car in a test we ran after the race, so that isn´t a permanent problem and not an easy one for us to solve.
    We just made a dedicated SC for that championship and will test it soon.

If everyone in a given race sees the SC, some of the StockCar problems are solved..........