why did steam get a new MM with filters and we didn't?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by MystaMagoo, Apr 22, 2016.

1. MystaMagoo

MystaMagoo Registered

I hoping steam them selves implemented it because if ISI did it then I feel hugely let down

2. Coutie

Coutie Moderator Staff Member

Because it's using the steam match maker.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

3. Euskotracks

Euskotracks Registered

Of course ISI implemented it.
    Funny since none of the multiple requests to fix/include this feature in the related wish list thread was made by steam users.
    We do the feedback, they get the feature.
    Thanks ISI.

Enviado desde mi ONE A2001 mediante Tapatalk

4. WhiteShadow

WhiteShadow Registered

Who is we? I thought we all are same community, steam or non steam.
    Btw. How do you know that your claim: "none of the multiple requests to fix/include this feature in the related wish list thread was made by steam users" is truth, how can you possible know this?

5. Euskotracks

Euskotracks Registered

We are non steam users. Why do you ask if you already know? You say we are one community. However both partitions do not get the same features.

The "remove passworded filters thread" has been out there since the beginning of rF2. More precisely, the first builds had inverted filter option. It would only show passworded servers when activated.

By that time and until last summer when rF2 was released to steam no feedback could come from steam users. However latest build comes with the filter for steam users.

For sure some old users might have moved to steam. However, the % of people doing so in my community is less than 5%. Hence my conclusion.

I bet you had perfectly understood my point before but like in other threads you like to argue.

As long as others not reporting anything get the benefit and I don't when I have always supported this community by reporting bugs and helping others with question I could answer, I will feel mistreated.

I didn't buy this game in steam and I don't want it in steam. I should have no less rights or features than a steam user which is not the case at the moment.

Enviado desde mi ONE A2001 mediante Tapatalk

6. redapg

redapg Registered

WhiteShadow, fighting against each others don't helps for anything.
    Better do fight for that all rF2 Users get the same Features at the same time. ;)

7. Christopher Elliott

Christopher Elliott Registered

If this degrades into a personal argument, I'll have to close this thread.

8. stonec

stonec Registered

I think his point was fair, we are one community that can choose to use two versions of the game, Steam or non-Steam. If I was forced to pay twice to access Steam rF2, then this would be a problem. Now I can decide to convert my license to Steam and get the new matchmaker features if I so wish.

9. WhiteShadow

WhiteShadow Registered

Yes that`s right Stonec and you may wonder what is next future non Steam users may complain about, could it be that there is not non Steam workshop or perhaps new content download system when getmod isn't there. Steam has much better user support then non Steam and it will always be like that like it or not. :)

10. Miro

Miro Registered

Idealy if everybody would be on steam, I guess ISI would have a much easier job in hotfixing, updating and what not with the game. But that will most likely never happen.
    Even updating single components would be easy and superb compared to what it is now considering some cars need months for small fixes etc. only not to confuse users I suspect.

11. WhiteShadow

WhiteShadow Registered

Btw. did you know has Steam Family sharing which can be usable if you have old PC which you like to use as dedicated server PC to rFactor2 or if you have brother or sister or maybe you wife likes to race with you also:)
    http://store.steampowered.com/promotion/familysharing

12. Barf Factor

Barf Factor Registered

but in the faq it says they can't play at the same time as you

13. WhiteShadow

WhiteShadow Registered

Yes, I am using Steam Family sharing to dedicated server PC and it works fine for me.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 23, 2016
  14. MystaMagoo

MystaMagoo Registered

This is not a us versus them issue here.

If steam implemented this feature it's fair play.
    Either way you look at it the light doesn't shine to nice over ISI

15. WhiteShadow

WhiteShadow Registered

I don`t recall ISI stating that there is not going to be MM filters in no Steam version like you make it to sound. You are free to migrate to Steam any time you like with no extra cost. If you want to do that is up to you but there may be futures which is never going to be part of non Steam simply be course it is not possible to implement all steam support and futures to non steam.

16. Depco

Depco Registered

Other non-steam version rfactor 2 you can use the dedicated server on a second machine without the need of a second account. So Family Sharing is not needed to run a dedicated server. At least with non-steam version.

My son and I share two accounts with each other. I use his Library four games that he has and he uses my library for games that I have. But we can't play those games when the other is on their account. So if you have rfactor 2 on Steam you wouldn't be able to race anybody else in your family at the same time as you are racing yourself.

17. WhiteShadow

WhiteShadow Registered

Yes you are right, you can also use SteamCMD method of hosting if you like to have 24/7 server, no need to have a Steam account it's 'anonymous. :)
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=553088396

18. ErnieDaOage

ErnieDaOage Registered

The only facts which are counting for me is that steam users have now 3 options to join a server. the steam serverlist, the launcher matchmaker and the ingame serverlist while the non steam users are stuck with the ingame matchmaker which hasn't got a ping feature from the first moments of rf2 and honestly i don't get it. The only way to provide a proper multiplayer experience to everybody is to let people know about the ping of the server they are connecting to. Every multiplayer game since the 90s had this feature build into their serverlist. Back in those days you had even a lot of 3rd party server browsers like all seeing eye or gamespy and so on. And honestly why is time wasted on such a implementation when rf2 is the LAST sim without a proper drivetrain model? AC, pcars, gran turismo, forza, iracing and even dirt rally has one, but the most advanced of all of them is still lacking a major vehicle simulation feature about the engine of a car. But yeah steam users can now compare their ping on 2 serverlists while non steam users are stuck with downloading a lot of content just to figure out 5 seconds after the joined the server they have 250 ping there and will probably get a bad racing experience.

19. Miro

Miro Registered

I'd really like to see those "propper" drivetrain models as u see them bc IMO they are nothing like "propper". They are all crap in every other sim and in many cases it would be better to have no drivetrain simulatoin or in this case clutch simulation at all than something that doesn't work as it should (same goes for diff etc).
    However this has nothing to do with steam intergration and the time spent developing steam features which IMO is not wasted at all.
    You are free to use whatever version u like. Noobody forces you to do anything. (yet)

20. ErnieDaOage

ErnieDaOage Registered

At least in those other titles you need the clutch to get the gear in. Where's the point in driving a car made before 1990 without using a clutch at all? I am personally not interested in modern race cars with all their fancy electronics in it. I can understand the point in real life but its to simple for me in the sim, full throttle to full brake with a little bit of steering, just not my kind of fun. And the fun ends for me when i am not able to miss a gear and get punished because i did something wrong.

Server filters should be for everybody and not only steam because to see a ping, track, car mod and all the other drivers there is not a new invention its there since multiplayer over the net exists. To see my ping is important for every sort of multiplayer game because if you play anything with a ping above 150 it gets wonky for you and everybody else who plays against you. THats also a point why all those big e-sport game finals are done in a lan and not over the internet so everybody has the same connection and chances. If ping wouldn't be a problem lan parties wouldn't exist anymore. And it was also in rfactor 1 so why are we still missing such simple features? Most of those other games and sims which are standalone and also selling through steam don't make a difference except sometimes that you have to buy your dlcs or other addon content through steam or their webshop for the different versions. But it doesn't matter which one you start, because they(those other games like iracing, il2, rise of flight, raceroom) connect to their own launcher and network. When i bought the game with build 96 or something people already asked for this features in the matchmaker and steam wasn't even on the table and now 1000 builds later only the steam users get this feature so alot of other users feel a little bit taken for a ride.