Disabling HDR in build 1080?

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by wittsend, Apr 17, 2016.

1. wittsend

wittsend Registered

Hi there.
    I hadn't played rFactor 2 in a few weeks and I turn my PC on to find an update.
    In the update, the option to disable HDR has been removed, with the change log stating that HDR is now on by default, and some rather vague instructions on how to disable it.
    Now, my hardware is pretty dated now (In fact I built this rig back in late 2012 to exceed the recommended requirements of the rFactor 2 beta (not that it mattered, I've never been able to run rFactor 2 at full settings +multiview smoothly, but that's another story.)) So I try and claw back frames where I can. One of the ways is to disable to HDR. This allows me to get around 60fps on most tracks.
    After (I think) I followed the instructions in the change log, I'm lucky to get 50fps on tracks that I could get 60fps on before. What's the story?
    Can I get a straight forward procedure on how to disable HDR please? Thanks.

2. TJones

TJones Registered

Ok, open "Config.ini" in "*your rF2 data folder*\UserData\" folder.
    Change the line: "GFXSafeMode=0 // 1=fallback to LDR mode, you must manually clear shader cache" to "GFXSafeMode=1 // 1=fallback to LDR mode, you must manually clear shader cache"
    As the comment line says, you have to clear the shader cache. So delete all files in "*your rF2 data folder*\UserData\Log\Shaders".

3. wittsend

wittsend Registered

Thanks TJones

4. Marek Lesniak

Marek Lesniak Car Team Staff Member

Recommended requirements are for a single monitor setup (in my opinion, it should be quite obvious). Multi-monitor setups require much more powerful graphics card. Roughly, 3 times more (especially with MultiView on) vs single screen setup.

5. wittsend

wittsend Registered

Yeah that's what I thought too hence why I built the system to exceed the recommended requirements, but after playing Some of the latest builds of Assetto Corsa, I find the graphics look better (despite not even running at full settings), and I'm getting a fairly solid 60fps all while using their equivalent of multi-view to fix outer screen distortion. There is no change in performance when 'multi-view' is turned on or off in that game either, so why the big hit in rFactor 2? In addition, there's the performance drop when switching from windowed to full screen mode, but why? Feels to me like rFactor 2 isn't as polished in the graphics department as it could be. I like rfactor and have played rFactor 1 and 2 for years, I just wish it was a little better in that respect! Although they're a little old, my graphics cards are still nothing to poke a stick at, (2x 680GTXs in SLI).

6. Marek Lesniak

Marek Lesniak Car Team Staff Member

rF2 has a more raw-ish look than other titles. Which is better? Let's leave that up to a personal taste :)
    SLI doesn't work well in rF2 with Multiview and HDR enabled. I didn't do any tests recently though. Maybe something has changed... anyway, it's better to go with a single card. Having a single 780 Ti definatelly will be better... and also probably cheaper.

7. wittsend

wittsend Registered

Hmm, it would be nice if SLI and multiview worked as well in rFactor 2 as they do in Assetto Corsa. Admittedly, Asssetto corsa ran poorly on my system when it was still in beta, even with just a single monitor, but it has DRASTICALLY improved over the last year or so in terms of performance. It was a progression that I expected to see from rFactor 2 as well when the beta came out, but beta turned into final, and still I'm having to apply all these band-aids like running windowed mode and disabling HDR to get a reasonable frame rate from it. SLI has been around for 10 years now, so I'd have thought that someone would've worked out how to work the DirectX APIs by now. I really do like rFactor, but this is definitely where it lacks.

8. Prodigy

Prodigy Registered

If you are using default RF2 SLI bits in nvidia inspector, the performance of RF2 is even worse than using only 1 gpu. There is a thread about SLI here on forum, I can't link it now, but long story short, use SLI bits for Lego Batman game instead of default one, it will improve performance a lot.

9. wittsend

wittsend Registered

Aw yeah? Thanks for the tip, I'll have a little look around myself, Cheers

10. Jaromir Bergmann

Jaromir Bergmann Registered

11. Nielsen

Nielsen Registered

Just my few cents to this HDR/non-HDR debate.
    Because Im on an old PC (i7-920/HD7950 oc) I was running with no HDR in build 1052.
    But because the HDR is default in build 1080 I was positively surprised when I checked how slight fsp advantage is by disabling HDR now.
    On Toban Short I guess its less than 10 fps. But I will make a benchmark when I get time.

12. stonec

stonec Registered

There are no new shadows in build 1080 as far as I can tell. Downgrading a build is not a good idea in long run because new ISI content is meant to be run with latest build, so when ISI releases the next car you might be forced to upgrade anyway to get the proper experience.

13. Ronnie

Ronnie Registered

There are some changes to shadow system in this build. Optimization and other tweaks.

14. Joe Campana

Joe Campana Registered

No there are not. What gave you this idea?

15. Ronnie

Ronnie Registered

"Improved particle lighting/shadowing." - What I understand from this is that some work on lighting AND the way the shadows are being casted/created. Correct me if I'm reading into this wrong.

16. Luc Van Camp

Luc Van Camp Track Team Staff Member

The keyword here is 'particle', like smoke, skidmarks and fire.

17. Satangoss

Satangoss Registered

Not intending to hijack the thread, but regarding shadows please ISI have a look at Interlagos where some trees project shadows on a very steep terrain (Laranjinha curve), the shadows are absolutely crazy there, spining and flickering everywhere, I'm sure it was not happening in previous build.

To disable HDR in 1080 building please edit SETUP.INI and address the following variable:

UseHDR=(1)

18. wittsend

wittsend Registered

Thanks for that Prodigy, I found the post and gave it a go. I've been running with HDR and soft particles turned back on since changing the SLI bits to what is suggested. Getting 60fps on most tracks now (except in pits but that seems to be typical). The link to it is below for anyone else that is interested:

http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.php/13570-Nvidia-SLI-Possible-big-framerate-improvement

19. Jaromir Bergmann

Jaromir Bergmann Registered

there was some DX9 add-on installed after updating rF2 build, maybe that is what broke shadows in some tracks?

20. Joe Campana

Joe Campana Registered

Hmmm ... what dx9 add-on are you referring to? Also, as per my previous post, no changes were made to shadows.