rFactor1 to rFactor 2 Conversion Tutorial - Quick Guide

Discussion in 'Car Modding' started by dylbie, Apr 8, 2016.

1. dylbie

dylbie Registered

Looks great cosimo!

Nice to see more people using this tutorial. I keep meaning to update it, but I'm short of time at the moment.

Most of the problems with cars looking shiny is to do with shaders and shader settings. It doesn't take much time to convert a car provided the files have been well structured for the original mod, but it can take 10 times longer to get the car looking good. You'll need to go through all the GMT files, and then go into all the materials to see what's going on.

There's a shader which I call the 'dreaded grayscale shader' which seemed to be used a lot in rF1, which turns everything white. A short cut if you need to change shaders in bulk, is to load all the GMTs into 3DSimEd and then click on 'display' and then select 'shader filter'. You can then turn all the shaders off, and just turn on your 'problem' shaders once you've identified them. I've found this way to be the easiest way to quickly change shaders that are causing issues.

With regard to cars getting stuck in grass or gravel, I'd also have a look at the undertray parameters in the HDV file. Raise the Z coordinate up a bit and see if it makes a difference. I had a problem with the MR2 in rF1 jumping wildy over kerbs, and raising the undertray sorted the problem out...

2. cosimo

cosimo Registered

Made myself a Photoshop macro to transform diffuse textures to albedo. May not be optimal, but does the job alright for now :)

MaD_King likes this.
  3. Woodee

Woodee Registered

Care to share? ;)

4. cosimo

cosimo Registered

Ernie likes this.
  5. Pauli Partanen

Pauli Partanen Registered

Nice guide!
    I was able to convert on car from rfactor and it was very fun to drive after tweaking some psychics!

Some tracks my car looks ok(look pic), but others it is just too shiny. So this must be problem with shaders? Too bad there is around 300 different parts in this mod... so do i really have to tweak them all to make it look nice or is there some way to make it faster? + 20 more cars so.. 300X20=6000 parts :D Original maker must have used years for this mod.

Checked few isi cars and it was more simple. Only few objects and materials, so i was thinking do i make something wrong here? Mod is F1 1975.

I have no meaning to publish this. Only my own joy. This mod was great on rfactor, but it would turn awesome with rfactor FFB and AI.
    View attachment 20994

6. Woodee

Woodee Registered

Are you using "car paint (with damage)" shader for the body?

7. Pauli Partanen

No im not. I know I should, but i was just wondering is there way to make faster or do i have to open every part induvidually. If you check F1 1975 classic mod and extract all mas files, you see that there is huge amount of different body parts.

EDIT! found batch edit button in 3dsimed and used car paint with damage (not sure is it even good idea to use it!). Now it's not white anymore but looks like this on belgium 1966
    View attachment 21004
    And like this on kyalami 1976
    View attachment 21005

Is there any cure for this?

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 31, 2016
  8. Woodee

Woodee Registered

ISI used the "car paint (with damage)" on the dissenter car. Alpha channel needs to be nearly black.

9. TheGreenDoom

TheGreenDoom Registered

Hi! This is work F1C to rF2? Or otherwise work?

10. SL1DE

SL1DE Registered

Yes, it's the same process for cars from pretty much any game which 3DSimED can read.

Basically, you just open the models with 3DSimED and export it as rFactor 2 format.

11. TheGreenDoom

TheGreenDoom Registered

Okey, thank you.

12. Pauli Partanen

Thanks again! This tutorial just made my day

lots of bugs still there, but daam this was fun :)

13. TheGreenDoom

TheGreenDoom Registered

Hi! I try convert the F1 2001 mod. This was the result. I do not know what could be the problem. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

14. Gijs van Elderen

Gijs van Elderen Registered

Search path need to refer to the correct folders. In dev mode you don't to have refer to mas files.

15. SL1DE

SL1DE Registered

This is all wrong.

It should look like this:
    [​IMG]

And I suggest doing the cars separate, rather than putting the whole series in a single mod file. Like, do one package for Ferrari, one for Williams, one for McLaren, etc.

If you have further difficulties then follow my video tutorial and don't take any shortcuts because there aren't any.

16. Butters

Butters Registered

@ Cosimo.

Sorry to be a tard but any short guide on how to use it once it's in photoshop? I know there is instructions but I get confused with which layer I should be working on. Quick video would be mint :) And cheers for the tool.

17. and.luiz

and.luiz Registered

Hello

Thanks for the excellent tutorial. Any help on this error?
    In game all ok, in tuning do not show the tires and headlights.

Attached Files:

18. Bjørn

Bjørn Registered

Copy the entries/instances/lines for wheels and headlights from the "in-game"-gen file to the spinner-gen file :)

19. and.luiz

and.luiz Registered

did not work. Has two RSC11_Spinner.gen and RSC11_Upgrades.gen files.

I did what you advised the most did not work.

20. Bjørn

Bjørn Registered