rFactor1 to rFactor 2 Conversion Tutorial - Quick Guide

Discussion in 'Car Modding' started by dylbie, Apr 8, 2016.

1. dylbie

dylbie Registered

After a few requests I've made this quick guide to converting a car from rF1 to rF2. Of course, there are a multitude of things you'll have to do, edit and adjust to get the car looking good, working correctly, and handling well, but this should cover the first steps, and hopefully get the car in game. Feel free to ask me anything you find as you go along, provided you haven't killed yourself by the end! for the experienced modders out there, please let me know if I've missed anything, or if there is anything you do differently/more efficiently.

Things you need before you get started:
    3DSimEd
    gMotor 2.0 MAS for rFactor 1
    gMotor2 MAS Tool for rFactor 2
    NotePad

Step 1 - Download and analyse the rF1 mod
    Download the rF1 mod and you should have two folders named 'GameData' and 'Sounds'. GameData has all the files you need for the car, sounds contains sounds funnily enough!
    GameData has a MAS file which contains all the 3D models (GMT), the textures (DDS) and other files (TGA, ANM etc)
    It also has a TEAMS file which contains the skins and the VEH files.
    Loose in that folder should be everything that ties these files together, so 'HDV' physics files, TBC/TGM tyre files, PM suspension files, GEN files which load the 3D files into the game, SFX files, COCKPITINFO files. There's probably a few more too which i forget.

Step 2 - Begin making some files for the rFactor 2 car
    The process which i use is to make a new folder for the 'raw' files:
    So make a new folder called 'E34' for example.
    Then within that folder make sub-folders called 'MAIN', 'GMT', 'TEAMS', and 'SOUNDS'
    This is where things might get a bit complicated...
    Go back to the rF1 gamedata folder and find the .MAS file
    open it up with the gMotor 2.0 tool.
    You should then see all the gmt files and dds files.
    Select all, right click, extract. Extract all the files to your newly created 'GMT' folder.
    You should now have all the 3d and texture files in raw format, GMT, DDS and TGA which you can open in 3DSimEd(GMT) or paintnet/photoshop(DDS).
    Sounds and teams are NOT in MAS format for rF1 so you can just drop them into your new TEAMS and SOUNDS files.
    SOUNDS for rFactor 2 should have WAV files with no subfolders. So if there are subfolders in the rFactor 1 mod, just take them out and put them in one folder.
    TEAMS should have a VEH file, and a DDS skin file. The VEH file is very important as it references the 3D files, physics files, upgrades, cockpitinfo, and sound files, and also the skin in the TEAMS folder.
    Now the rest of the files HDV etc put them in the 'MAIN' folder.

Step 3 - Convert the GMT files into rFactor 2 models/objects
    So now you have the 'raw materials' you need to get a mod working, but first you'll need to convert all the rF1 GMT files to rF2 format, which is quite easy. In 3DSimEd, 'import as objects' all the GMT files except the wheels, and steering wheel. Then simply export as rFactor 2 objects. To do the wheels and steering wheels, open them as models, and then export them as 'rFactor 2 model'. For some reason this doesn't affect the pivot points. If you import the wheels as an object you'll have to reset the pivot points.
    Now you should have all the GMT files in rFactor 2 format.

Step 4 - Sort out the **** in your MAIN folder
    The tyres are probably the most important new feature of rF2 and it tripped me up a few times when making my first car.
    Unless you have a degree in rubber compound physics, you'll probably want to 'borrow' some tyres from an ISI car. Depending on which car you're making choose some tyres of a similar car. Then place them in your MAIN folder. You'll need to put both the TBC AND the TGM tyres. Make sure you reference these new tyres in the HDV, otherwise the car will NOT work.
    If the HDV files are good from rF1, they will work straight out of the box in rF2 - a useful feature, that no-one seems to know about.
    The SFX file can just be re-pointed to the name of your car. You can use the 'find/replace' feature in NotePad to edit the lines quickly.
    The GEN file is a tricky beast and I'm not entirely sure how it all works. My best advice here is to copy the first part of the GEN file from another car. If someone would like to explain and expand on this, please contact me.
    Most other files work 'straight out the box' from rF1.

Step 5 - Sort out the SOUNDS folder
    As I mentioned before, all WAV files need to be in a single folder. If any are in subfolders, just place them in the SOUNDS folder as they are.
    Simple.

Step 6 - Sort out the TEAMS folder
    This is pretty much identical to rF1. Infact it is. Just put your skins in here, and the VEH files should work from rF1.

Step 7 - Make MAS files using the gMotor2 Tool
    Now you'll need to package up these 4 files so that rF2 recognises them by using the gMotor2 tool to create 4 MAS files.
    I'll use the E34 as an example.
    Make a new folder called 'E34 MAS'
    Open the gMotor2 tool. Go to each folder you've created (GMT, MAIN, TEAMS, SOUNDS) individually. Select all the files and drop them into the gMotor2 tool and then use the 'create MAS file' button (looks like a yellow square). Do this 4 times for each file, so for example 'E34.mas' for the 3d stuff and textures, 'E34MAIN.mas' for the physics,sfx,tyres,gen files etc, 'E34SOUNDS.mas' for sounds , 'E34TEAMS.mas' for teams.
    This has now put the files into MAS files which rF2 can read.

Step 7 - Package the mod up using the gMotor2 Tool
    You can now use the package button (looks like a box!) in the gMotor2 tool to package these 4 files together to create your mod.
    So click the 'create package file' button. You'll see 4 options. Click 'Create Single Cmp Package'.
    Now a window will come up with a lot of options. This part is important.
    Where is says 'select component', use the drop down list to <Add New Component> and make up a name for your mod, like 'BMW_E34_M5'.
    Next, where it says file choose where you want to put your rfcmp file. I usually put this with my MAS files, but you may want to put this somewhere else. The rfcmp file is the one you put in your packages file when first installing a mod, so it is this file you'll use if you want to share your car.
    Next choose a version number. I usually start with 0.1, as I like to work towards a v1.0. But you can choose as you like.
    Next select type as 'vehicle'. Obviously.
    Next in the box where it says MAS files, select all 4 of your newly created MAS files from Step 3, 4, 5, and 6 above.
    NOTE: Once you've selected all the MAS files, the square on the right should go green.
    Next click 'package'. You should get a message at the bottom: 'Component packaging complete with no errors'.
    Now click install, and it should install your mod to rFactor 2.
    Finally load up the game, and double check the Vehicle has been installed in the content tab/mod manager.

Once you've done that you 'should' have the car in game and working.

Now, you'll have to start fine tuning the shaders, physics files, light flares, tyres, add animated drivers etc etc etc!

Again if anyone sees anything I've missed, or if people do things an easier way, let me know and I'll amend this...

Big thanks to Bjorn, StrawmanAndy, RJames, Steve at SR4L, Kniker97, and Sderenno who have all helped me so far, now I'll try and help more people :)

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 8, 2016
    Leonardo1962, pascom, Mauro and 5 others like this.
  2. Woodee

Woodee Registered

Doing my best to link things up with the guide. I get this when I go into moddev mode selecting the car I'm converting.

20160409153119_1.jpg

I can load each GMT in 3dsimed and their textures appear on them, what have I not done?!

BUT when I try and load the VEH file into 3dsimed it is just blank!

3. Bjørn

Bjørn Registered

A file is for the game to "put together the car", not 3Dsimed :)

Does the game tell you what it is missing in prompts when it loads?

4. Woodee

Woodee Registered

Also.... I can actually drive the car... even though it's a yellow box.

THere is no prompts telling me what is missing. I guess it just doesn't know where to find the GMTs, even if the search paths are ok (well at least I think they are!).

5. Bjørn

Bjørn Registered

I don't use devmode myself, so my game tells me what is wrong if something is wrong. Don't know if devmode does that... As far as I know it works like rF1 so if the gen files aren't pointing to the exact places it has to, you're screwed. That is not the case when you're using non-devmode I think. When a component is created it that "helps direct" gen files to the gmts by default

I err... can't help you without seeing what you've done.

I expect Dylan to chip in now :)

6. Jokeri

Jokeri Registered

Hey woodee,
    what is the passwords to your teamspeak? I might be able to help you with your conversion.

7. dylbie

dylbie Registered

Are you using DevMode Neil? I'd say the problem probably lies with the GEN file if it's a 3D issue. Did you convert everything to rF2 files in 3DSimEd? Also, what does the trace file say?

8. Woodee

Woodee Registered

It probably is a GEN file issue.

I have attached my trace file and GEN files.

Trying as a test to convert rF1 Rayzor to rF2 (just with Skip barber tyres to start of with).

Folder structures:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

9. dylbie

dylbie Registered

The only thing I can see with that trace is a dodgy helmet :)

I notice this is in DevMode though which I don't work with anymore. If you package it up and stick it in the proper game and then try and run it, it will give you an error message, and then you can see where the issue is.

It all looks pretty good so far though. It will be frustrating at first, but just keep at it. The rewards will come :)

10. Woodee

Woodee Registered

Weird problem..... trying to cure CTD when selecting a car I'm trying to convert and getting 3/4 of track loads and not even getting to the track. I then start moddev up again and switch to a car that I know works, but I still get CTDs!!! How am I supposed to cure problems when moddev does this?!

Any ideas?

11. StrawmanAndy

StrawmanAndy Registered

I personally don't use moddev, I just put it straight into the game. Sounds like you could be missing a file, hard to know without seeing the stuff you have done so far

12. Euskotracks

Euskotracks Registered

I am getting a similar problem as well from several builds to now. After the progress bar loads I get a CTD. The only build that is working OK is 1028.

I know that a fresh install works OK with skippies and joesville. However after I get a CTD (most likely due to something about the car) I cannot even load the skippies and joesville due to the same CTD.

Enviado desde mi ONE A2001 mediante Tapatalk

13. INTEL48

INTEL48 Registered

you need to keep in main file structure rtrainer.mas, its only 1 kb in size, for some reason, DEV mode needs this mas file, even though it is not actually used
    https://www.mediafire.com/?idgmxn3oqjdecd5

make sure in gen and spinner files they point to main folder with files in it

ps, what is the TeamSpeak address that was setup for modders to chat in please

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 18, 2016
  14. Woodee

Woodee Registered

Google Hangout: http://tinyurl.com/racingsimmodding

15. SL1DE

SL1DE Registered

Thanks OP. I've been waiting SO LONG for something like this. My first attempt was failed because I didn't know what to do with the .gen files and all that (car was invisible in dev mode), so after that I gave up.

But I'm going to try again while reading your tutorial, hopefully things work out this time. We'll see how we go.

If I'm successful, I might consider making a video tutorial on YouTube for others who are having difficulties.

I just need to figure out which F1 season to do first, 1973, 1999, or 2010...

16. Hazi

Hazi Registered

Looking forward to - TIA

17. KissCool

KissCool Registered

Hello,

I have a question.

What is the exact impact when have press "alt + t" in dev mod?

I have a problem of tire on a conversion, but when I press "alt + t", this fixes the problem.

18. dylbie

dylbie Registered

Good question. Hopefully someone will answer that. Unfortunately I can't because I don't use DevMode. I'll edit the first post I think to mention the fact. The above tutorial 'should' work for putting a car into the game, bypassing DevMode.

I need to make some additions to the tutorial as some people have asked me a few questions which I can incorporate into it.

One thing I've found recently is that some mods have very strange file structures, which prevents a conversion to be simple. You need to dig around in the original rF1 files to find what is going on.

Also a new problem which I've recently encountered is the car having a 'combined' body and cockpit 3D model which then draws a low and high poly cockpit over the top of each other. These then need to be split, and separate lines written in the GEN file with LOD ins and outs. Straight forward, but very time consuming.

19. ECAR_Tracks

ECAR_Tracks Registered

Maybe it alternates from rF1 < - > rF2 tyre model?

20. SL1DE

SL1DE Registered

Can you be more specific? What am I entering into the HDV file?

File names are:
    F1-99.TBC
    F1-99_DRY_FRONT.TGM
    F1-99_DRY_REAR.TGM

Do I just change where it says "TireBrand=1999_Bridgestone // Must appear before tire compound setting (references *.tbc file)" to "TireBrand=F1-99"? Like have the same name for that line as my TBC file name?

Edit: I'm getting an "rFactor has stopped working" app crash after the game loads fully.

But I kind of took shortcuts and skipped some GMT's I thought I wouldn't need such as Intermediate tyres, so I might go back and export those, even though it wasn't a GMT error, just a crashed error. When I try to load the car in the viewer instead of going to a race I get the GMT error, so that could be it.

Edit 2:
    Now it loads in the viewer, but crashes when I go to a race. Could anybody know what it is? Could it be my .gen? Playing around with the .gen.

Edit 3: Still crashing, I give up.

Last edited by a moderator: May 10, 2016