UI (?) Problem

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by costamesa, Mar 25, 2016.

1. costamesa

costamesa Registered

View attachment 19635

I think photo attached describes my problem better than me. I have been just updating the game rather than fresh installs for a long time. I was using the other ui (the one most are familiar with) but it had the same problem so I went back to this "default" ui from launcher. I cant even go back to that one.

Any help is appreciated.

2. alpha-bravo

alpha-bravo Registered

can't give you an answer but instead what I would do in such a situation.
    1. Install a second instance of rF2 in a different path with the lite installer.
    2. Launch the second instance and check if the problem is solved (hopefully if not I'm also out of ideas)
    3. If yes copy you can consider if you want copy over your settings from the other instance. (with the risk that in one of the files is the bad setting)

only my two cents

3. costamesa

costamesa Registered

Thanks mate but still having the problem :(

4. Christopher Elliott

Christopher Elliott Registered

You installed a new lite build, and did not copy any old JSON or ini files over to it?

5. costamesa

costamesa Registered

I am confused about all this now!

First I installed the lite into the same location of my rfactor2 install, hoping that new install will overwrite the old ones. But the problme was still there.
    Then I installed the lite into a different location (thinking that if it works, I could copy the new files from the new location into the old one) but when i started the game from the new location I got the same problem.

Thats what I did.

6. Christopher Elliott

Christopher Elliott Registered

It sounds to me like your desktop shortcut points to the old install.

Try this: open the rFactor2 folder of the new lite install, open the folder "Launcher" and click on "Launch rFactor.exe" - Then open single player.

7. stonec

stonec Registered

It could also be something that is wrong inside your rF2 user data folder (usually found under Documents), so make sure when you install a new Lite version that also the data folder is pointing to a new location. The other clue would be if you are using some very nonstandard Windows font size, usually found on laptops, which could maybe mess up the UI text alignment.

8. costamesa

costamesa Registered

No actually it points to the new install location. But to be sure I didnt use the shortcut, started the launcher from its (new) location. Problem continues.

Yeah I have a new user data folder too, but it didnt help either. This is a desktop I am using for rfactor, and its the same PC for the past 4 years. I dont think I have installed a new font or something like that recently.

9. costamesa

costamesa Registered

No ideas anyone?

10. Bjørn

Bjørn Registered

Costamesa, did you ever get to fix it?

[​IMG] I have a friend who has the same problem...

We've tried a few things now...

Revert to default UI, force 32 bit, delete config file.

11. Joe Campana

Joe Campana Registered

This problem can be caused by having a customized decimal symbol - i.e., you have set your Control Panel\Clock, Language, and Region\Region and Language - Format\Additional Settings\Decimal Symbol to something other than a period. Later versions of rF2 have since handled this problem unless you have overridden the decimal symbol.

12. Bjørn

Bjørn Registered

So what should he do? He is now re-downloading it through Steam... So, should be latest version... But it can still be caused? "unless you have overridden the decimal symbol.", you said... What should he do then?

13. stonec

stonec Registered

Well obviously he should override the decimal back to default then to fix it. Although I think I use "," instead of "." as well and haven't had this issue ever.

14. Joe Campana

Joe Campana Registered

It's ok if you set your Format: to a locale that uses whatever as a decimal symbol, rF2 will handle that. But if you manually set the decimal symbol to a something other than a period (as explained in previous post) then it will mess up rF2. So the solution is - do not directly override the decimal symbol. Set your locale instead if you want something else as a decimal symbol.

15. Bjørn

Bjørn Registered

You're talking gibberish, sorry...

He did a reformat and now it works...

16. Joe Campana

Joe Campana Registered

You can believe whatever you want to believe, sir. I can demonstrate conclusively that what I explained in previous posts will absolutely cause the problem he stated. If you mean that he re-formatted his drive and re-installed windows, then that most likely also reset his locale to something with '.' as the decimal symbol.

17. Bjørn

Bjørn Registered

I'm not questioning your reasoning, I just don't understand it. You gave no simple enough directions of how to fix it. At least not simplified enough for me or my friend in question.

He reformatted and reinstalled windows, indeed.

18. stonec

stonec Registered

How can it be said simpler than that the system decimal symbol setting needs to be changed back to default? Had your friend not changed it in the first place, rF2 would work correct. You can argue that the game should deal with this kind of situations by itself, but the solution was given in plain text to you:

19. stonec

stonec Registered

And to follow up, I reproduced this bug by changing the decimal symbol and leaving locale to United States, see screen below. So exactly the reason as was given.

View attachment 19756

20. Bjørn

Bjørn Registered

For crying out loud, clever people!

I don't think it was a conscious move of him to "change" whatever it is - he didn't recollect doing it, that's for certain, because reformatting is last resort, right?

Personally I've never seen it before, I've never 'explored' this part of my operational system.
    1) It wasn't my problem 2) My OS-language is not in english so I would only have a vague to no idea where to find these settings. I understood "control panel" (kontrolpanel in my language) and that was it.

But thank you stonec, you clever man, you actually posted a screen grab giving me a bit more of an idea of where to find these settings now, if I ever encounter a problem like this.

Water under the bridge. Hopefully people experiencing this bug will figure out how to right it out through this topic :)