At ISI

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Gjon Camaj, Mar 25, 2016.

1. Gjon Camaj

Gjon Camaj Registered

It’s time for a quick update on what’s going on at ISI. We are currently finishing up a new build, should be out next week. We will continue to develop rF2 into the foreseeable future. We have in the past and will continue in the future to take on other projects as well. This may slow specific rF2 development but it can also augment future features. Things we are working on now may be folded into rF at some later point.

We will continue to develop and release new content such as Toban Raceway available just this week. For me personally, this track has a sublime look and feel. Take any one of the really great cars out and I would vote it the best racing sim experience available today.

We also continue to provide unweavering support for our rFPro effort. This product continues to make significant inroads into the racing and automotive design industry. It’s amazing to see it develop over time. This is also true of our Event version of rF. Along with new partners, there isn’t a day that goes by that rF is not being used commercially somewhere in the world.

The world of rFactor represents a very diverse and vibrant userbase. I could not be more proud of the small handful of dedicated developers that continue to make this happen.

2. Nitrometh

Nitrometh Registered

I have to say you did an incredible job. It's great to see how rf2 has been developed so far. Thank you guys.

Gesendet von meinem GT-I9301I mit Tapatalk

3. Bjørn

Bjørn Registered

Hoping for and expecting a -still- bright future :)

Many people doesn't want to paint such a picture.
    The fact that Gjon comes out to update upon how it is and basically (well, that's how I see it) tell everybody to calm they' teets' kind of shows that.

ISI is 20+ years old, hasn't fumbled.

4. Eddy

Eddy Registered

Thank you Gjon. Imho we have got a stable sim now so development can be in a lower pace, sure we (users) would like more features implemented but the base is good....very good. And like you said development is still going on only at a lower pace. I thank you for your post here and also thank you and the whole ISI crew for a sim i enjoy on a daily base.

5. TJones

TJones Registered

Thank's Gjon for the clearing words, always appreciated.

Can you write something about actual development piorities with rF2?
    Did the build release cycle, of about six to eight weeks actual, may change in the future then?

6. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

7. philman

philman Registered

8. Jamie Shorting

Jamie Shorting Registered

Indeed you should be and I'm glad you guys are doing what you do. Thanks again.

9. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

The page? It's written like a tabloid, and isn't validating it's source. Seems to me a pretty basic failure in journalistic standards.

I'd question why he thinks Pro is, in fact, that much to do with ISI here in the USA. Pro operates and is largely developed by the studio working on Pro, in the UK. Why would someone who is using Pro not know who he's been working with? (or, actually, anything about the actual software!)

ps: you can buy Force India uniforms. I have some from various teams.

10. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

Probably no example of more being done with less out there. All deserve congratulations and thanks.

But the controversy in the past few days is not about the past or what has been achieved to-date. It's about whether that path has a successful future given the very different market and increased competition/options available to sim racers. If changes are needed to make rF2 more successful, most of us will accept those and maybe even cheer. Lack of specifics and the notion that the already too-slow pace of development (caused by lack of resources, not lack of skill or passion) might get even slower as alternate projects soak up time and attention is being received as the effective death knell of rF2. Your pleasant words this morning have not dispelled that notion, at least from my perspective. I suspect many others will look upon it more harshly than me.

Please consider providing some more concrete information so that either the bullet can be put into the horse, or, the community can move forward with hope and expectations for an ever-improving rF2 that remains head of the pack in realism, but adapts in ways that will allow it to also appeal to a broader audience than is typically found here.

11. Riverside

Riverside Registered

I am relatively new to the hardcore racing sims world, but can certainly appreciate the CEO/Owner to come out and speak to the company's user base, Gjon; it has a much better impact than some of your lieutenants censoring posts that bring opinions over features versus other sims...

Product is great, the base loves it, league participation healthy... You can't be all things to all people nor chase every idea someone said will be the next big thing.

I am sure that, as more people move from rf client to rf2, it will be better for you all, but it will also happen naturally, can't force it.

Thanks for the update, Gjon, much appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. stonec

stonec Registered

I think most of the future concerns started after the announcement of no VR support being currently planned. Depending on how VR will evolve next few years, it will be affecting rF2 future as well. I think what lot of people would like to hear is that the plans regarding VR support are not locked to a "no" if VR becomes a success. Certainly it seems a lot of users on this forum will be buying it according to this poll, actually more than I expected.

Other than VR, I have no issues with rF2 future plans.

13. Depco

Depco Registered

Thank Gjon for the post. Not really any revelations there, unless you really read into the post more than I think is there. I typically try not to put on the tinfoil hat.

14. 88mphTim

I voted I'm getting VR on that poll. ;)

The Q&A didn't contain any "never" that I remember.

15. Korva7

Korva7 Registered

I definitely agree. Maybe RF2 is developed by small group of people, but they truly have had their priorities in right order.

16. MarcG

MarcG Registered

This post is very strange, i can't make out why or who it's aimed at, I need to lie down and think it through!

#RubixCube

17. nultweezes

nultweezes Registered

Struggling for grip in my car, then gradually becoming better as the track rubbers up. Because of the difference in grip on and off the racing line, it's getting harder to overtake.
    Then it starts to rain for a short time and I have to evade the racing line because the rubber gets slippery. Soon the sky clears and racing line starts to dry. Back to my normal line.
    It's slowly getting dark but I continue racing even through the beautiful sunrise.

Yes, I have 0 problems to say that this is the most in depth racing simulator available to the general public.
    And even though I'm not a stakeholder, I find it hard to read all the hate you guys get.
    But after seeing Toban, I am 100% that it'll be fine.

18. Nuno Lourenço

Nuno Lourenço Registered

Unfortunately I see nothing but this sentence as the most importante one...

I interpret as development becoming much more slow..... Hope I'm wrong because rFactor 2 still have much more to implement... When I'm able to race, this game take 80% of the that time, but it still needs to improve lot of things...

19. 88mphTim

I think it's honest to say that things could slow, but the sentence you quoted is a positive one. It's essentially saying that rF2's budget isn't just based on rF2 sales anymore, it might be based on other work being done, and rolling that work into rF2 for (in OUR terms) 'free'. It's difficult in those situations to say things would actually be slower, but he's saying that is possible. Being honest, essentially, which often seems to be a problem for people to accept. :)

20. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

Can you at least say if the "not rF3" is a racing sim/game?