Can someone please explain the AI drivers tyre strategy?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by RoboCAT10, Mar 22, 2016.

1. RoboCAT10

RoboCAT10 Registered

So I have another question, but before I ask I want to thank all those who have helped me out before - if it wasn't for this forum I would be lost.

Anyway I notice in all my AI races, when they make their first pit stop they change to the same tyre. For instance they will start on the hard tyre and pit for the hard tyre (white compound). However I notice that while they are pitting their tyres flash to the super softs (red compound), but quickly reverts to the hard tyre as soon as they leave their pit box.

I would just like to know where in all these files are these AI tyre strategies determined. If so with a bit of further testing could we potentially be able to choose what tyres the AI race on or even choose what sets they will swap to? I am using the FISI2012 mod.

I was searching for this but all I could find were outdated posts and nothing I was gained that much from. However please feel free to correct me with helpful threads I may have missed. Looking forward to what I can learn from this area of the game.

Thanks.

2. peterchen

peterchen Registered

AI have fixed tyres so to speak. They will never change the compound, as long as it is dry.
    That another tyre "flashes" first up when they pit is a kind of bug and should be ignored.

3. RoboCAT10

RoboCAT10 Registered

Ah that is a shame then :-/ Any chance ISI might rectify this in the future?

4. RoboCAT10

RoboCAT10 Registered

I was just thinking that if the AI drivers have a fixed tyre then where must that located in the files. Surely it wouldn't be impossible to change the fixed tyre to a different compound. Also make a different tyre file for each driver?

5. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

I would guess no Rob.

Endurance Racing - Online Leagues

Sprint Races ( full tanks ) - Offline / Ai

Ai do not get penalties and take bugs with AI speeding pit in and slowing on racing lines for cars entering, exiting pits.
    That alone kinda throws anything but basic strategy out the window.

Better to do that with real people :)

6. gt40

gt40 Banned

So is no one doing offline endurance racing? If anyone is doing are there tips for people who haven't done before? I'm interested in trying some but also don't want to get too excited only to be disappointed.

7. peterchen

peterchen Registered

RoboCat: Surely you can alter the .hdv and/or .tbc-file so that they use another tyre. But what should be the benefit of that?
    Instead of always using softs they then always use hard (or whatsever). Nothing to gain here. I don´t think that this will ever change.
    In theory you can create an own .hdv-file for every driver/car. Then you could assign a different tyre to everyone. But again: nothing you gain with that.

gt40: read here somewhere that some people do endurance-racing offline, using resume from replay-feature.
    If it is a good experience is surely dependent on track/car. Make a testrace where AI have to do a pitstop and look how it goes!

8. RoboCAT10

RoboCAT10 Registered

peterchen: I want to have all my AI drivers on different strategies (real people run there teams and choose their drivers strategies, not just for my own benefit). Perhaps for instance DriverA rubs hard tyres while DriverB runs soft tyres they will have different pace but will make different amount of pit stops. So DriverA has a slower tyre but only needs to stop once, while DriverB has faster tyre but needs to stop twice.

Writing this now I think it's s little pointless when I already have alternate strategies by altering fuel in the HDV. I don't know but I guess I'm interested in this sort of stuff and like to look at other alternatives. I find altering each AI drivers HDV fuel values easy but wouldn't know where to go with tyres. I would like to try it out when I get the chance.

9. Emery

Emery Registered

As I recall, the AI change to the first tire in the list, so you might try assigning setups to the AI so it's a different tire initially and then they'd switch to the first tire on their pitstop?

10. peterchen

peterchen Registered

Missunderstanding Paul.
    Sure they change when worn out. But to same compound (what was the initial issue here).

11. RoboCAT10

RoboCAT10 Registered

Unfortunately the AI setups do not recognize fuel and tire stratgey; would make things a lot easier though. :)

12. RoboCAT10

RoboCAT10 Registered

So I had a bit of a play around with the drivers HDV file. I changed this part:

TireBrand=FISIR2012_Tires // Must appear before tire compound setting (references *.tbc file)
    FrontTireCompoundSetting=2 // Compound index within brand
    RearTireCompoundSetting=2

to...

TireBrand=FISIR2012_Tires // Must appear before tire compound setting (references *.tbc file)
    FrontTireCompoundSetting=1 // Compound index within brand
    RearTireCompoundSetting=1

I loaded up the track and I see that this driver now has the 'wet' tires fitted to his car. So clearly 1 equals the 'wet' tire, and 2 equals the 'medium' tire. However as soon as the race starts the drivers switches back to the 'medium' tire like every other AI driver. I find this strange but interesting. Anyone have any ideas?

13. RoboCAT10

RoboCAT10 Registered

I have had another attempt at this. I created four different tbc files. These are:

TIRE_HARD
    TIRE_MEDIUM
    TIRE_SOFT
    TIRE_SUPERSOFT

In each of these files I removed all the other tires bar the tire in the file name of what I want, and the wet and intermediate tires.

I edited four of my drivers HDV files as such:

TireBrand=TIRE_MEDIUM // Must appear before tire compound setting (references *.tbc file)
    FrontTireCompoundSetting=2 // Compound index within brand
    RearTireCompoundSetting=2

I load these four drivers on to the track however they take a few moments to even appear in the garage. When they do appear they are fitted with the 'wet' tires but this quickly changes to the super soft tires for ALL four drivers. This makes no sense. If I removed the 'super soft' part from the TBC files how can this appear on the drivers in game?

14. peterchen

peterchen Registered

That´s the evidence that this rF2-program is somewhat intelligent! LOL!
    I guess in the first example they automaticly changed back to medium tyre because it was dry!
    I guess in the second example the program automaticly used another .TBC-file, as the CompoundSetting had an invalid index!
    "0" means the FIRST compound in the list, "1" the second one and soone.

When you want to force the AI to use a specific tyre (on a specific track?) you can do that with doing different .tbc´s
    and make an upgrade-option for every .TBC. Then using "Fixed Upgrades":true in the Player.JSON, or using a TracksConfigsBase.

15. TonyRickard

TonyRickard Registered

Rather than start another thread, is this still the case?

16. LokiD

LokiD Registered

you want offline racing with proper ai strategy.... Try f1 2017

17. RoboCAT10

RoboCAT10 Registered

I haven't tried it in a while so maybe, but I haven't seen it mentioned in any update. Would be nice if it could be looked into though so the AI can follow the tyre and fuel strategy.

18. TonyRickard

TonyRickard Registered

No, I just want to be able to run a 25 lap or so race in a 1988 F1 at Monza car without the AI pitting a couple of times...

RoboCAT10 likes this.
  19. Comante

Comante Registered

I hope with the UI improvement there will be the chance to have control on these variables, like mandatory pits, tire strategy and so on.

traind, RoboCAT10 and buddhatree like this.
  20. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

How do we get an AI to do a pit stop?

For a refuel