Who's getting VR?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Hectari, Mar 12, 2016.

?

VR: are you in, out or somewhere in between?

1. Pre-ordered Oculus Rift

36 vote(s)
    20.8%
  2. Pre-ordered HTC Vive

7 vote(s)
    4.0%
  3. Pre-ordered both Rift and Vive

5 vote(s)
    2.9%
  4. Will buy VR when rF2 supports it

25 vote(s)
    14.5%
  5. Need to upgrade my PC first, but will get VR when I can

7 vote(s)
    4.0%
  6. Not interested in VR

23 vote(s)
    13.3%
  7. I've tried VR and it is not for me

2 vote(s)
    1.2%
  8. I've not tried VR but I think it is not for me

6 vote(s)
    3.5%
  9. Will wait until it is cheaper for VR/upgrades needed

22 vote(s)
    12.7%
  10. Will wait until VR tech is more developed

30 vote(s)
    17.3%
  11. I have concerns about the health implications of VR use

10 vote(s)
    5.8%
  1. REDRUM

REDRUM Registered

I am glad I found this poll, I was in two minds for a couple of weeks now about making a post here to revive the VR discussion. Having read lots of previous threads, of which some had replies from Tim and other developers, I could perfectly understand their gripe in terms of the Oculus SDK major version changes and lack of backwards compatibility. Not only would implementation be a pain, but maintaining functionality with OculusSDK.

Both the Rift and Vive are supported by Valves OpenVR platform, OpenVR already being integrated into Steam does not suffer from the same issues as OculusSDK. I really hope that ISI take a more holistic approach to their customers needs, step back and again review VR technology and its suitability in simulators. I think the OpenVR SDK would not only open more opportunity for sales but would potentially bring back some more interest in the title.

My primary reason, and interest in VR HMD's has been purely for Simulators and I have had loads of fun in the few titles which have supported VR to date. It is the only reason I do not run a triple screen setup, I want proper immersion.

(For the record, I have owned all Oculus HMD's to date, Vive Pre and Vive CV.)

2. Marketcrash16

Marketcrash16 Registered

VR looks really cool, but I'm not convinced that I would be willing to wear it for an hour or 2 every time I play.

Also, as some have mentioned, the first units are always overpriced. Let's not forget the big 3d craze when Avatar came out. How many of you are still watching 3d movies on that TV you bought? Exactly.

It does look awesome, but it will never be mainstream IMO.

3. Depco

Depco Registered

That is not an apples to apples comparison. 3D tv did not immerse you in the movie. You could still see the room around you which broke the immersion. You had to look in one place, which broke the immersion. You had to wear special glasses which was a bridge too far for the desired effect.

VR HMD's take up nearly your entire field of view and block out all outside vision which completely immerses you in the world presented on screen. The view moves as it would in the real world when you turn your head or move your body, enhancing the immersion. HMD's trick the brain into believing that the wearer is in the world presented on screen. This simply cant be done with a 3D TV.

For the person who uses this argument, it becomes readily apparent that they don't understand the technology and the very distinct difference from 3D TV or the old 90's VR. It only takes one experience in a quality HMD to convince 99% of users that the future of visual gaming and visual media is VR. It wont completely get rid of 2d monitors and TV's but it will be a significant portion of the devices purchased in the future (3-5 years).

I expect VR HMD's to explode like Cell phones did as the tech becomes more refined and less expensive to manufacture and maintain.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2016
  4. REDRUM

REDRUM Registered

I think for people here who are otherwise strangely opposed to the technology and/or dismissing it, your really need to give it a go yourself. There are no words that can describe the complete and utter immersion you will experience.

The biggest mistake people are making, as above is comparing to 3d tv's, and 3d technologies using glasses. There is no comparison, as that is simply staring at some 3d projected image on a 2d screen. HMD's put you right smack bang into the middle of the scene, literally, as if you were sitting in your own vehicle.

I suggest anyone who is unsure, try find any local demonstrations in your area or VR groups and give yourself a chance to try it and then form a education opinion about the technology. It has been achieve this time, for real and is here to stay, it will continue to evolve and will become an adopted standard in the years to come.

Cost; People are paying $900+ for a phone these days, how is $600-900 for complete immersion into a 3d environment (another world) comparable? If you ask me, its cheap, certainly cheaper than 3 decent screens which offers no immersion by comparison.

5. WhiteShadow

WhiteShadow Registered

I think that Glasses-free 3D PC monitors and TrackIR is going to be better suited to sims. Ultra-D sets in 27-inches and 32-inches should arrive in retail outlets soon.
    http://mashable.com/2016/01/05/glasses-free-3d-tv/#.ZlGMfsXfZqo

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2016
  6. Euskotracks

Euskotracks Registered

Those who think that it will not become mainstream which are comparing these technology with 3D-TV are very poor sighted.

I don't know about FPS type of games where I have heard that VR might be a disadvantage. However in sim racing it will become the standard since it provides a clear advantage wrt single or triple screen. In terms of immersion there is no color between VR and anything else.

Triple screen does not provide even 1% of the immersion you get with VR.

This debate seems to be present also within ISI where I can see Tim clearly supporting it and others who seem to think like you. The future is for the ones who can imagine it.

Enviado desde mi ONE A2001 mediante Tapatalk

7. WhiteShadow

WhiteShadow Registered

It is bold statement you make about technology (Glasses-free 3D) which is not released yet.

8. vittorio

vittorio Registered

Only a glasses-free perfect 3D- monitor in form of a 3 meter big ball in which you can sit and look around and your eyes don't get stressed can compete with VR-HMDs. I bet you never tried VR

9. WhiteShadow

WhiteShadow Registered

Just to you knowledge I own DK1 and 2.

10. vittorio

vittorio Registered

Ok, that surprises me.

11. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

Can someone explain how glasses-free 3D would even work?

I'm trying to get my head around how that would be even possible. Perhaps I'm not seeing the obvious though.

12. MikeeCZ

MikeeCZ Registered

There are glasses free 3d TVs out there i believe, they have bad disadvantages tho, they use sort of ..cross directional pixels that you can only see from very specific angles, so you need to be sitting in very specific position and distance from the TV for it to work (depending on the angle of the crossing of the pixels)
    Also its only really usable by one person, so if you have whole family watching TV, you dont want this one. Im not sure of this passed prototype stage but i think it did.

13. WhiteShadow

WhiteShadow Registered

14. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

So those whom remain sceptical don't understand technology and are poor sighted. well that's one way to discuss the topic I guess.

So far analysis are very low for 2016, 1.7 million units predicted to be bought/used, globally, is not very much and is keeping away the big developers waiting on the side-lines to see what happens.

But that was maybe to be expected, early adopters and niche developers have always paved the paths.
    Good news is that the 3D-phone market is likely to explode (expand) before anything else due to its low pricing and easy usage. This may very well give the rest the much needed push.

Sony will be trailing as customers realise (too late?) that a set alone wont do, they need an additional $300 investment in camera/gear to make it work at all so that will be a funny sight this year. (apparently they don't want to sell gear that is more expensive then the console itself)
    And yes, the VR market needs sony and the like to make this thing mainstream. as said before, it ain't about tech (the 3D tv comparisment) but its about getting it out to a wide enough audience.

And of course pc users need high end pc's but then again by the time its more mainstream it might need less power or is less of a strain.

Poor-sighted-life's matter too!

https://www.strategyanalytics.com/s...016-on-just-13-of-unit-shipments#.VxJY67HCTyM

15. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

16. WhiteShadow

WhiteShadow Registered

Yes, glasses-free 3D can be alternative to those who cannot use VR devices because of nausea etc. or those who may not like to have VR devices close to their eyes. To me personally after using my DK2 couple of hours it takes almost one hour to my eyes to recover and there may also be other still unknown health issues with VR devices. I am bit worried because of this.

17. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

Sure, i would be too if it took me an hour after couple hours use for my eyes to recover. I haven't experienced that issue though. I wonder if your experience could be due to calibration issue maybe (e.g. incorrect IDP setting)?

18. Woodee

Woodee Registered

Worrying... I do not have experience of VR headsets first hand, but they should cause NO eye strain at all. If you do... then it is calibrated wrong.

19. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

Yeah. I brought up the IDP as an example because if i recall correctly towards the end of my DK2 use (before i sold it off) i tried using the softwares manual IDP calibration and it felt a little odd after that. Never got to try it again though reverted back to its default IDP to double check that it wasn't just me.

20. WhiteShadow

WhiteShadow Registered

Yes it is bit worrying, I am not saying that all has same experience as I have, all people are unique and so are their eyes. :) I think VR tech may have nasty side effects and all should read disclaimer warns carefully.
    Samsung and Oculus urge adults to take at least 10-minute breaks every half-hour, and they warn against driving, riding a bike or operating machinery if the user feels odd after a session etc.