Ultrawide single or triples?

Discussion in 'Hardware Building/Buying/Usage Advice' started by cosimo, Mar 12, 2016.

1. cosimo

cosimo Registered

I'd like to hear from you.

I'm considering either 3x Asus VG248QE or 1x Benq XR3501. Three of the latter would be awesome but too expensive and I'd need a SLI gfx system.

Ideally I'd like to keep my system single Nvidia card. Now I have a GTX 780 which serves me very well.

Go!

2. ucfquattroguy

ucfquattroguy Registered

Whatever you have the "horsepower" to run at your desired frame rates.

3. Tuttle

Tuttle Technical Art Director - Env Lead

I have the same card and I guess you are trying to go 144FPS, but I am pretty sure its not going to work with a single 780, rendering multiview. Considering you need more than 144fps to get a stable 144Hz/FPS I think a mid/low game settings should work on a single screen, maybe even high settings but with just few cars running and shadow blur off/reflection off...

4. cosimo

cosimo Registered

Actually I'm quite happy with anything around and above 100 Hz. My player.json caps framerate at 120.

For that reason I would exclude LG models that seem to support up to 75 Hz.

5. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

Ultrawide single with trackIR just enough to see the right side mirror in the cars you usually can't see it. Should be enough view compared to triples

6. Tuttle

I'm not sure this is a good idea as you should buy a 144Hz panel if your system is able to run up to 144FPS (or the half but then make no sense). If you have fluctuating frame rate under that number, and/or your FPS are dropping under 100, you may experience very bad tearing and laggy responsiveness.

My suggestion is, if your system is not capable to run more than 144FPS, in a solid way, I'd focus my attention on a GSync panel which is basically adapting monitor frequency to FPS.

7. Tuttle

Yeah but I'd personally prefer a 60Hz triple screen than a single and expensive 144Hz Ultrawide, especially if not running GSync.

Also the GTX 780 it's a pretty damn good card, but still too weak to run 144FPS with good graphic settings. It's already on the edge to keep 60FPS with everything maxed out.

8. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

If things happen as I expect I want to buy a new PC. I was considering triples but I'm more inclined toward ultrawide monitor after some research, less headache with config, less space, video card running more fps (even if not reaching 144, I'm totally fine with anything above 60) and higher detail options than with triples(?)
    But I need to see if I can adapt to trackIR first... the only time I used it I felt a bit dizzy so if I can buy the new PC I'll get my "32 TV and try on it first, if I can't adapt then I'll go with triples

9. Tuttle

I guess because, with trackIR, your eyes are targeting same point, while you are moving/exaggerating your head rotation to make IR working.

For example; you want to look at your left mirror

Triple Screen; your eyes are moving to the left screen, as you know left mirror is there. This is a pretty much natural eye movement. Same as you do with your real car.

tIR; your eyes are still targeting the center/single screen and instead using eyes to target the mirror, you need to rotate your head to the left to activate the tracking. So, your eyes are NOT moving, your head is. This is really not a natural action and yes, when you keep your eyes targeting a point, while your body/head is moving, you may feel some dizziness, but I think it's just a matter of being used to it, especially because first time using iR, people tends to exaggerate the head rotation.

10. SmellySkidmark

SmellySkidmark Registered

I got a Acer Predator X34 about a month ago and love it. I've got a GTX770 with almost everything on max and it runs great. It's a GSync panel and was very expensive. My FPS are way down on what I used to get with a 32" TV 1920x1080 @ 60Hz, about 80 - 100FPS, now I have a much higher resolution 3440x1440 @ 95Hz I get maybe 40 -70 FPS but I never notice when the frames drop, and everything is much nicer to look at. I have it less than an arms length away from my face so it's very clear.
    There's a great comparison site to check your how your monitor compares with similar models, here's mine ... http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/acer_predator_x34.htm

SS

11. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

Thanks, that's interesting. After sometime not playing a 3rd person game (basically all I play is sims + League of Legends) I also feel dizzy when I play one of these games such as Tomb Raider, it goes away after a few days.

12. Eddy

Eddy Registered

Hey Cos. I definetaly would go the tripple route. I'm using it for a year now and still think it's a blast. I'm using 24" 60hrz monitors and with my system i can more or less run 60fps off line with 23 ai. Obviously at race starts the fps drop but after lap1 i get good fps. On line all is better which is because your computer doesn't need to calculate physics off ai. I get 90+ fps there all the time. My system is shown in my profile and game settings is all on high except for shadows medium fast blur and reflection low. Wouldn't go the sli route because perfomance of sli in rFactor2 doesn't seem to be good (no offence ment and only from hearing) in fact it seems to me sli is a pain in the **** for all software.

13. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Triples, no contest.

A 34"+ 21:9 is awesome for single monitor use though.

Great choice on the VG248QEs. I had 3 of them for a while. The best monitors I've so far ever owned.

14. cosimo

cosimo Registered

Thanks guys.

15. Marek Lesniak

Marek Lesniak Car Team Staff Member

Definatelly triples. You should be very happy with 3x24" 16:9. IMO, height is big enough and you get quite a big horizontal picture. I was able to comfortably use 1:1 FOV with my 22" 16:10 screens, so with your choice it should be even better :)

Having 120/144Hz monitor is a big step forward vs 60Hz regardless, if you can maintain matching fps to refresh rate or not. With 120/144Hz, tearing, if happens, is much less noticable anyway (to a point you might say, you don't have it anymore) and you also get smoother picture with faster response. That's my opinion based on 2 monitors I tested: Iiyama ProLite G2773HS and BenQ XL2411T.

16. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

The great thing I think many forget is that these monitors can also be set to 100 Hz incase 120, 144 or more fps is too difficult to achieve. Don't forget about that ;)

17. R Soul

R Soul Registered

If you prefer to drive F1 cars it might be better to use two screens instead. The line where they meed can simulate the support strut for the halo.

18. cosimo

cosimo Registered

A final (?) update. I went the way of the triple Asus VG248QE which I picked up second hand for about half the price, so basically I've got 3 for 2 :) That was a fraction of the cost of an ultrawide Benq.

I setup my desktop with Nvidia surround and bezel correction @ 5900x1080 and 120 Hz.

With rF2 in multiview and 2x in game AA, and FPS capped at 120 I usually get 80 to 120 FPS depending on the track. I'm definitely satisfied that way. The simulation experience is far more immersive, especially in races with lots of cars around you. Can't imagine going back to one screen. The multiview adjustment tool in rF2 is perfect.

It is also a bit weird to be honest. I expected to be astonished, but it was all very "naturally awesome" to suddenly run triples, but not surprisingly awesome. :)

We'll see whenever GTX 1080 reaches a reasonable market price.

If you have questions, feel free to ask.

19. Marek Lesniak

Marek Lesniak Car Team Staff Member

Have you set FOV to realistic/calculated, or just dialed to your taste?

20. cosimo

cosimo Registered

Hi LesiU.

As you know, the rF2 multiview tool is using real distance values in centimeters, so I just measured distances, monitor sizes and angles and input them in the tool. I assume that when doing that, rF2 graphics engine uses a real 1:1 fov.

I noticed that the actual FOV is in fact not adjustable anymore with the usual FOV+/FOV- keys. The image doesn't change when adjusting it outside the multiview tool.

Now I sometimes adjust the seat height, but that's about it.