G29 Settings

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mrbobsacamano, Mar 9, 2016.

1. mrbobsacamano

mrbobsacamano Registered

I already started a thread with similar questions but that one mainly dealt with the trackmap plugin issues. I can't figure out what settings I should be using for the G29 in rF2. The vehicle set option still doesn't work, I'm not sure if that's an issue with the wheel or rF2 or what. But my bigger issue is the ffb. I bought rF2 because everyone says the ffb is the best around and I'm not feeling that at all. I have the pedal plugin to make sure I'm not clipping but my wheel is vibrating like crazy even when lowering the car specific ffb. It sounds like the gears inside are going to destroy each other. I know the Logitech wheels aren't the quietest especially when the wheel is straight and the gears are both working a bit but this noise is so much louder and worse than I've ever heard in any other game. It's especially bad with faster cars and at faster speeds. If anyone uses the G29 please share what settings you are using for a specific car/track so I can try them out. I don't know if this is how it's supposed to be or what but this ffb is horrible and all I feel is the gears fighting each other and massive vibrations. I'm afraid the wheel is going to break, that's how loud and strong the vibrations are.

I know the G29 isn't the best wheel but I'd rather not have to buy something else. I mainly play AC simply because the ffb feels just as good as when I used the G27 and the auto rotation works so I don't have to worry about changing my wheel rotation at all. I know there is the contoller.ini file you can make changes to but I don't know what I'm supposed to change or if you can make it feel better or if rF2 just doesn't work well with the G29. I've tried using the G27 profile in game and making my own and it doesn't make a difference. I know this is maybe a dumb question but I'm really frustrated with how this game feels and I just don't know what I'm supposed to do to make it better. I tried the rF2 demo when I had my G27 and it was nowhere near this bad of vibrations. Thanks for the help.

2. Hmatty

Hmatty Registered

3. mrbobsacamano

mrbobsacamano Registered

Thanks for the reply and the picture of your settings. Does it vibrate like crazy or does the smoothing remove the vibrating? Does the vehicle set work for you? Do leave the car specific ffb multi at 1.00 or change it per car? Sorry for all the questions I just want to make sure I have the right settings. Thanks again.

4. SVO

SVO Registered

5. Hmatty

Hmatty Registered

mine only vibrates a little till I touch it then its ok. I do not use vehicle set car specific I change if track is rough. Play with minimum torque to get a good feel and it removes shake

6. mrbobsacamano

mrbobsacamano Registered

Thanks, I'll try out your settings tomorrow if I have time.

7. Gijs van Elderen

Gijs van Elderen Registered

The problem with the G29 is that it doesn't adjust it's Wheel Operating Range according to the Cars Wheel range or the ingame setting. With most wheels you have the option to allow the game to adjust this. The G29 doesn't have this option.

So you'll need to set the cars Wheel Range in the G29 logitech profiler manually.

[​IMG]

With the Megane it's 612 degrees.

[​IMG]

With the Go-Karts it's 187 degrees.

[​IMG]

Turning off "vehicle set" ingame and changing the Steering wheel range would probably do nothing for you. It will use the Wheel Operating Range you've set in the Logitech profiler.

The wheel range is embeded in the Cars physics. So if you have a different Wheel Range then the Cars wheel range in the logitec profiler, then the FFB will not respond as it should.

I think this counts for other wheels aswell if you turn off "Vehicle set". And override the cars wheel range.
    Steering Wheel Range bigger as the Cars wheel range ==> FFB will be weak and you'll have some dead zone. Catching slides will be difficult.
    Steering Wheel Range Lower as the Cars wheel range ==> FFB will be stronger as it should, possibly some vibration. FFB will overreact and catching a slide will possible result in a counter snap.

8. mrbobsacamano

mrbobsacamano Registered

I've started a list of the cars rotation so I can change it in the G29 profile manually. It's an annoyance but it's the only way I have found to get it to work for now.

9. pitkin

pitkin Registered

I've been trying to get in contact with people Logitech over this issue. It would be nice to see the options that were available in the G25 and G27 profiler made available to those of us who've bought the newer G29 or G920. I wonder if ISI has any contact with Logitech and could pass this thread on to them?

I've tried through the support forums, but they don't seem interested in supplying new software that is up to the standard of the old software. For them, taking features away is the way forward.

10. mrbobsacamano

mrbobsacamano Registered

I've also made a post on the support forum and through email but haven't had any luck. I figure it wouldn't help but it's worth a shot, nothing else we can do.

11. mrbobsacamano

mrbobsacamano Registered

I tried out Hmatty's settings and they were definitely better than what I was using before. There was still weird vibrations and I still don't feel like I've got the ffb dialed in perfectly but it's a step in the right direction so thanks for the settings Hmatty.

12. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Yes, we had contact and helped them fix their firmware in October. It was then passed onto the console manufacturers for them to test.... And five months later it's still there. There is literally nothing we can do for you, because we did it five months ago.

13. pitkin

pitkin Registered

Thanks for the info.

Looks like I've bought my last Logitech product then. Their 'support' has been useless.

So many people on their forums complaining about the situation.

14. pitkin

pitkin Registered

Looks like they've finally listened to all the moaning.

A beta driver is out that includes some of the missing features from the older software and has the firmware fix for the G920 forces issue.

http://support.logitech.com/en_us/a...-Beta-is-available?product=a0qi0000006PmxKAAS

15. green serpent

green serpent Registered

In regards to ffb feel, for what it's worth here is what I have done with my g27 to get it feeling good. Not too sure how similar it is to the g29 but there might be some cross over.

Set Logitech profiler until deadzone is at it's smallest. For me this is 107%

Set smoothing to around 8 to 10 depending on car/track. Anything under 5 and I get really bad chatter from the gears which doesn't sound or feel too good.

Ideally keep min torque at 0%, I have it at 1%.

Lower steering sensitivity to around 80%. (I also lower the sensitivity of brake and accelerator). If sensitivity is 100%, I literally find it impossible to keep some cars in a straight line, I assume this is due to the dead zone. Also I find that most cars feel a little too edgy at 100%.

Finally, lower the ffb multiplier. I lower it to the point were I can turn the wheel left and right rapidly without any kind of 'notchiness' at the center point. The wheel needs to feel smooth when turning the wheel fast from one side to the other. If I feel any kind of jagged or notchy feeling at the center point at any time, I lower the ffb by 1 and try again. It often ends up being around 0.50 to 0.60, but some cars as low as 0.25 - 0.35. The idea is to 'blend' the deadzone into the ffb, if that makes any sense. The wheel should feel a tad loose on center, and be easy to turn in, with the ffb building as you increase the lock.

The above is my preference only, but it has helped me a lot with car control and feel. It obviously won't be ideal for someone who likes strong ffb, however there seems to be more detail at lower ffb with the g27.

Not sure how well this translates to the g29 but might be worth giving it a try.

Some cars with amazing feeling ffb IMO are the Houston Dissenter, Ferrari 458 challenge mod, BMW M5 mod. Last think to keep in my, grip and feel can increase quite a bit once track has fully rubbered in. You can increase the rate at which this happens so you get a grippy track sooner.

Hope some of this helps.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 9, 2016