Extras not showing up on Skins

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by TheGame316, Feb 16, 2016.

1. TheGame316

TheGame316 Registered

Hi,
    I am in the process of doing a couple of skins for the Flat6 cars and having an issue with certain extras not showing up. These extras would be the CPITSPONSOR1 and 2, ICON and SMICON dds files. It seems all other dds files show.
    Screenshot shows the contents of the mas file
    View attachment 19384

Screenshot shows content of rcd file
    View attachment 19385

The following is a list of things I have tried with my limited knowledge of multi-file skins:

1. Created dds files with correct naming conventions(i am pretty sure it is right) and created a mas file named alt_game.
    2. Placed mas file in a loose skin directory. Main skin, rims, windows and windscreen show. Cockpit sponsors don't
    3. Created new driver using the tuning page. This created the rcd file as per screenshot attached. This rcd took filename 10.rcd as it was the 11th driver creation(from server skin downloads). Went to car select screen and no thumbnail/icon showed beside list when car selected.Main skin, rims, windows and windscreen show on spinner and in-game. Cockpit sponsors don't in either.
    4. Tried putting copies of the icon files in the same folder as the mas file. No change
    5. Tried putting copies of the icon files in the same folder as the created rcd files. No change.
    6. Tried renaming all flies game_alt instead of alt_game. No change

As well done as the EVE community pack is, I don't really want to go down this route as it would take some effort to have the multiple groups/clans that race together regularly to conform to similar naming/layout conventions. Also it would negate the use of the skin sharing feature that was brought to rF2.

I appreciate any help that you can give me.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 16, 2016
  2. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

For the alt thing, it has to be named e.g. game_altXXX. For the icons, I`m sure, they wont work for virtual driver. As far as i know, CPITSPONSOR1 and 2 has to be named as WCEXTRA materials.

//Edit: about the wcextra thing, CPITSPONSOR1 = game_altExtra3.dds and CPITSPONSOR2 = game_altExtra4.dds

//Edit2: wcextra into a mas file: CPITSPONSOR1 = game_Extra3.dds and CPITSPONSOR2 = game_Extra4.dds

//Edit3: seems not working :confused:

3. TheGame316

TheGame316 Registered

Thank you for the reply, but unfortunately this did not work either as game_alt or alt_game. Its a shame that the virtual driver can not have a thumbnail image.

4. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

Just if you missed it...the file names you`re used, shown in your screenshot, are wrong.

Not really sure, because i tried by myself and it doesn`t works... :eek:

5. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

I did a test with my RMegane mod and it`s clear, extra parts are not shown & used for the virtual driver.

6. Lgel

Lgel Registered

Just to be sure, were they in a mas file?

Cheers.

7. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

Yep, i put them into a mas file (alt.mas). The extra parts are shown/used, when i used them as loose files with an existing skin (alt) but not with a virtual driver.

8. SRosswick

SRosswick Registered

I believe I had a similar problem with Virtual Drivers not using 'extra.dds' with the ASR92 OWC mod. A couple cars would have black engine covers and the like.

9. TheGame316

TheGame316 Registered

Thank you for your help. Its a shame that these small items aren't implemented in the virtual driver, but maybe down the track who knows.

10. smbrm

smbrm Registered

11. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

Hm...i know, it doesn`t make any sense, but after changing from full window to windowed mode, it`s working again. But I`m really not sure about you`re 15/12 rule...These are my working file names:

100alt.mas

where these files included:

100ALT.DDS
    100ALTEXTRA1.DDS
    100ALTEXTRA2.DDS
    100ALTWINDSHIELDIN.DDS
    100ALTWINDSHIELDOUT.DDS

12. smbrm

smbrm Registered

Juergen

I am not sure about its universality either? I just know that with the Group C mod, 15/12 made a difference to what I was doing. "alt" files, that were longer, didn't want to show up, even when compressed inside a mas file. It is based on things that others told me. I had been told that longer file names would show up if they were compressed inside a mas, but in my experiements, the too long files just didn't appear. There may be mod specific factors, there may be "windows mode" switch factors, there may be code that defines allowed file name length as a mod variable? Maybe it's because your file name is a number and not alpha characters, who knows? It seems to be mostly trial and error. Without any documentation it's just hunting in the woods! So all we seem to be able to do is share experience on what might work with the hope of stumbling on some form of common criteria.

Hopefully discussions like these might lead to some clarification.

13. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

This is the real shame on this subject.