Cannot feel the car skidding

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by B1K3R, Feb 14, 2016.

1. B1K3R

B1K3R Registered

I've been away from rF2 and mainly racing Raceroom Experience and Assetto Corsa..

But today I had to add some stuff to my Dash app for rF2 and pCars.

And I was shocked how both felt the same to me when it comes to not feeling the car skidding, not feeling the over/understeer and able to catch the car.

Now I know that something is wrong on my side as rF2 is hailed as the best physics around the sim world. But in AC and R3E I can totally feel when I'm loosing the car

With rf2 I can feel FFB etc but not when skiding or braking.

What could it be? [emoji15]

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

2. MarcG

MarcG Registered

FFB clipping too much? Your description kinda sounds like it, don't forget every car is different so you'll need to adjust your settings as you try.

3. B1K3R

B1K3R Registered

Yeah, could be clipping too much. Which settings, the FFB ones?

4. green serpent

green serpent Registered

Keep in mind that rF2 models it's ffb from steering rack forces and doesn't take it directly from the tires. If you simply want to feel the understeer, try lowering the caster angle, you should defiantly feel the grip drop away more suddenly, although I personally feel it makes the car harder to drive.

I'm using a G27 and I find that unless I lower the car specific multiplier to around .60 or .70, (at 107% profiler) I can't feel much variation in grip level. The higher the ffb with the G27 the more all the forces seem to blend together and you can't feel the subtleties.

Can I ask what wheel you're using?

5. B1K3R

B1K3R Registered

G25. I have to set the ffb quite high as otherwise I wont feel much. Maybe that the problem. But if I set it lower then I feel nothing

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

6. Flaux

Flaux Registered

I did set my G25 STS to 2.0 and adjust the ffb multi (1.0 mostly) and filter (32 most of the time) to delete clipping. Plus I have the STM at 10%.

That way I feel the lower forces, delete the gap in the center of the wheel and have no clipping.

Downside is, that there is no big difference in low and high ffb outputs, but on the other hand a G25 doesn't have the muscle to produce them anyway...

7. B1K3R

B1K3R Registered

Actually, you nailed it, in that I cannot feel the grip level...

8. green serpent

green serpent Registered

When I set ffb too high, I don't feel the subtleties, and my inputs aren't as precise either.

Even with lower ffb settings I find that when I increase steering input I can't really feel the difference between optimum slip angle/scrubbing/understeer. But what I'm now in tune with really well is the difference in grip level from longitudinal weight transfer. As an example If the weight is over the front tires from some light breaking around a corner I can really feel the front corner tire loaded up, and if I accelerate mid corner I can feel the front go light from weight transfer to the rear. It's subtle with the G27 and it changes from car to car but it's there.

Also there is a whole thread on ffb setup which is interesting, but in my opinion lower your ffb until you can feel some differences in grip levels (for me it's around .60 - .70 at 107% logitech profiler), crank the smoothing up to around 10, and keep the min torque around 0-3%. That's just my preferences.

9. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

Certainly understandable why you raise it but i strongly recommend you don't and instead set it to the optimal value per car (which can be less than, more than or equal to the default 1.0 value....you have to test and find out).

ffb clipping is your worst enemy and is almost certainly the reason why you are unable to feel the car skidding.

Better to try with increased logitech profiler overall effects strength, increased STS and some STM.

Link below in my signature might interest you if you haven't seen it already.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 14, 2016
  10. Emery

Emery Registered

DrR1pper - hate to say it, but I don't see any signature in your post.

11. monsterZERO

monsterZERO Registered

For some reason signatures are disabled by default on these forums. If you go into your account settings you can enable them.

12. Golanv

Golanv Registered

I can see DrR1ppers signature.

It's better (and much more natural, hence easier) to play with wide range of forces and just get used to having overall gain lower. This way you will be able to enjoy the whole range that the sim has to offer, rather than cranck it up to 9000 and with the potentially stronger forces miss out on the fine detail that helps you control the car when driving on the edge.

13. Comante

Comante Registered

Yes, the problem here is trying to squeeze Bodnar-like forces out of a G25. Tune down everything, especially your expectations, and all the forces variation will come out.

14. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

That's odd. I don't recall ever having to enable the visibility of signatures before in the forum settings and i can see my own and others (that have one). News to me that you can even enabled/disabled it.

Maybe when i first gave myself a signature it auto enabled the signature visibility for my account?

update: just tried without being logged in so i have no forum settings to speak of and i could still see my signature.

I will end with this. The g25/27 are really weak wheels and whilst there are a few smart options available to choose from to help with that in rf2 (e.g. STS, STM, profiler overall effects strength), if you want more strength you need a new wheel. You would be very happy with an upgrade to say the thrustmaster TX or T300 wheel. It's still no where near a direct drive wheel in terms of torque, power output and responsiveness, etc, but it is a considerable upgrade in these aspects over the g25/27 wheels.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 14, 2016
  15. B1K3R

B1K3R Registered

What are these STS and STM you guys talking about? :confused:

16. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

17. B1K3R

B1K3R Registered

OK, thanks

18. David Turnbull

David Turnbull Registered

Hey Stefan :)

I seem to have settled on FFB options after a long time messing to get the feel I wanted, I was like you, couldnt feel exactly what I needed to be able to drive comfortably, here's what I ended up settling on......

Logitech Profiler

105% Overall
    0% Spring
    0% Damper

centre spring ticked

35% centre spring (I feel this makes a huge diffrence because I dont feel hardly any centering force without it)

Ingame settings.

STM - 9.0%
    Multi - 0.65-0.85 (depending on car)
    Filter - 9

Degrees - 420 for any vehicle in rf2

try that out, with the lower multi as mentioned earlier you can really feel the smaller detail forces come through, I think before I just badly clipped all the time and it masked rf2's superior FFB.

19. B1K3R

B1K3R Registered

Thanks Dr Ripper for your article. Very informative :) Thanks David and everyone!

FFB feels much alive now. Though when I brake hard and lock the front tires, am I supposed to feel that in my wheel as I am not?

20. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

I can't remember. Haven't driven rf2 for a while now. But after locking and flatspotting a/the front tyre(s) do you feel ffb vibrations from the flatspot?