Sim Racing System

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by peevee, Feb 5, 2016.

1. Marketcrash16

Marketcrash16 Registered

Exactly. This could grow into something awesome. Not sure why it would be a deal breaker to use your real name. I use both the sites you mention and this site is only asking for your real name and an email address.

2. TOCA2FREAK

TOCA2FREAK Registered

Come on RF2 racers. I have asked Sim Racing System to put up more frequent RF2 events. The reply was "We need more drivers for rF2". :rolleyes:

3. argo0

argo0 Registered

I'll get on it when I get time.

4. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

There could be more info on-site about what this is and what it does, casual visitors might not get the idea behind this unless they register and join in.

5. Emery

Emery Registered

Agree. As a visitor, I can't even view what car/track combos are being run or will be run in the near future. How do they choose the combos? How many servers will they run? How often is the content changed? Do they run series/seasons or just multiple one-off events?

As far as I can see from the web site, the only incentive being offered for sign-up is a safety rating and scheduled race times.

6. Depco

Depco Registered

The simple fact of the matter is that rfactor2 is not a very good pickup racing game. Sure, there could be pick up racing and there are some who are looking for that, but the vast majority of online users League racers.

Rfactor 2 has suffered from poor reviews regarding its online population for so long but now it is just accepted that rfactor 2 is not intended to be used for online racing outside of leagues. I don't see this perception of rfactor2 changing any dramatic way for the remainder of its life span.

There are numerous reasons for why this opinion has taken hold the way it has. It may be that ISI's own belief that they don't want to go into debt to develop and advertise their sim severely limited the exposure of the game to anyone but the hardcore racers. Add to the fact that it was out so early in development and that many of the online reviews came at a time when the community had not yet fully embraced rfactor 2 and made the move from rfactor 1. Most of the reviews I ever saw included something along the lines of " the physics and force feedback are exceptional, but the online servers are dead." This belief they also have manifested because ISI did not put in any tools which would have facilitated organized online pickup racing. As is typical with ISI they waited for the community to develop these tools. Unfortunately the community did not embrace rfactor2 with the same enthusiasm and vigor as they did with rfactor 1. The times changed and rfactor2 simply did not involve with the evolving community.

There have certainly been plenty of cases where I have gotten online, joined a room, and run a practice only to have the bulk of the room dive out as soon as the race was to begin. Frankly, this doesn't happen in other Sims like it does in rfactor 2. I think this is because most Racers and rfactor2 are practicing for their league race which is why they end up on their servers. They are not interested in pick up racing. Also very often the server will be set up for the league race which typically maybe a 30 to 60 minute race and that simply is too long for pickup racing. It seems to me that the most popular pickup races in other Sims tend to be 15 minutes or less.

Given 3 years of the above listed situation and it shouldn't be any big surprise where rfactor 2 lies in the online community. Or online reviews and a community that is built primarily on League racing it is not going to build up a large community of pickup racers. People who are looking for pickup racing have simply gone to other Sims.

I recall seeing a poll here on the forums, I have not gone through the history to see if I could find it, that indicated that the vast majority of rfactor2 users were offline, AI racers.

As much as it pains me to admit this, the online community is probably never going to be as robust as it was in rfactor 1. As I stated above the times have changed and rfactor 2 isn't built for the type of that is interested in pickup racing. I hope I'm wrong.

7. WiZPER

WiZPER Registered

I for one don't wan't to race against pickup-racers in RF2, I might aswell drive into a wall myself :)

8. Depco

Depco Registered

And that is a very common sentiment. Thatis one of the reasons as why there's very little pickup racing.

rFactor 2 is a serious sim. So are many/most of the people who drive it routinely. Most of those people running leagues to be sure that they're not going to be run off the track by someone they don't know.

If more people decided to simply do pick up racing in rfactor 2 the numbers would come up. But as it turns out that's not what the bulk of rfactor2 purchasers are looking for.

9. Marketcrash16

Marketcrash16 Registered

This is so disappointing. Even though I'm not big into the Megane or Clio, I still made a big effort to race on tis site as often as I could (unfortunately almost always alone)

Why? Because I wanted to do my part to get this game more coverage. It was a good opportunity for people to see there IS life in Rf2 but sadly the rf2 fanbase don't seem to "get it" or even care. The common argument makes no sense either: "I'm a hardcore simmer and rf2 is a hardcore sim, so i don't want to race with randoms because they are wreckers"...riiiiight. If it's a hardcore sim for hardcore simmers...then where are these wreckers coming from then? Makes no damn sense.

The % of wreckers in this game is ridiculously low so I have no idea where this fear comes from. It disappoints me that the hardcore players can't see that a busy casual online racing community is good for the game.There is no reason this couldn't develop into something of an iracing...but it needs the communities support. If everyone committed to running 2 short casual races a week it would be huge. It's only 25 minutes out of your day but I guess it's too much to ask.

10. Woodee

Woodee Registered

Maybe others just feel more comfortable in the leagues with the overflowing driver numbers? :)

11. Emery

Emery Registered

There are at least two rules in SRS that are disagreeable to me:
    1) no chat (what, never ever?!? iRacing isn't that draconian)
    2) 2-day suspension if you register for an event, but don't show up. As if simlife is more important than real life. Yes, I know the managers don't want slots taken up and then be empty at race time and it's unlikely for me to be a no-show, but life events do happen.

12. B1K3R

B1K3R Registered

It's hard and complicated to automatically start an rf2 dedicated server with required tracks/cars combos as there isn't an easy way to do it without lots of hacks and head aches due to the mods and lack of api.

Seems like ISI do not care about this anyway. In comparison, this can easily be done with other racing games.

To have a proper system like iracing the servers have to be chosen/started on demand but that's just not easily done with rf2.

My main reason why I don't race on rf2 anymore is because their are no pickup racing as I have no time for leagues. And no, I'm not a wrecker. You guys are generalizing about wreckers as there are many serious racers like myself with no time to leagues...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2016
  13. Woodee

Woodee Registered

You perceive that "league" stands for "tied down to racing on a schedule". Perhaps shift that because many leagues run an arrive and drive club racing which members with limited time can enjoy. Participating in another league's community is great to. Meet new drivers, talk about things and generally have a good time. Also, by joining a league, you possibly have an input into what they run and when. Try it!

14. stonec

stonec Registered

Doesn't matter if the fanbase "gets it" or not. If an iRacing-like system was invented for rF2, it would become popular. Problem is, iRacing spent enormous amounts of resources and money to create their system, which also reflects in their prices. It's much more complicated than it might seem to build up such a portal with automated everything. So nothing against it, but good luck to anyone who bothers to actually build it.

15. B1K3R

B1K3R Registered

It's actually not that complicated at all.

The only problem is that ISI dedicated servers cannot be put into automation without serious hacking and head aches and limitations...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

16. RJames

RJames Registered

Do you know why they can't be put in any sort of automation? Also what limitations are in place?

When I worked for SRW we had a system that would deploy new servers on demand, collect results and push them to the web front end automatically. Was much removed from the dedi exe between rf1 -> 2? I may have to have a dig around and see what's possible and whats not when time allows.

17. B1K3R

B1K3R Registered

To start with its the mods :) You can't auto deploy a new server on demand without packaging everything beforehand. You can say, "OK dedi server, I want Monza with the FR3.5..then I was spa with GT3" etc....no one has to create mods/packages beforehand, the user has to download them and then to auto install it for him/her, one has to hack the mas files, to get the signitures and data about the tracks and mod, check if he/she has them installed, then install them using the mod manager to then find out that he had an old version with the same signature! And then of course the whole thing gets corrupted :)

With Raceroom experience or Assetto corsa its easy peasy....give it the cars you want and tracks and its up and running in seconds :)

18. RJames

RJames Registered

Ah okay that makes sense. Thanks for the info.

19. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

How do they tackle mismatches though? or handle those not having the content?

20. B1K3R

B1K3R Registered

Well, with Raceroom, its like iRacing, no 3rd party mods, so you either own the car/track or not and the user simply cannot join the server. With Assetto Corsa, there are 3rd party mods and users just copy the content like it used to be in rF1. Again, if user tries to join he will simply not be allowed.

But regardless of this, one can create/start a server with a few params out of the box.