rfactor 2 Dedicated server kimsufi

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Pernosa, Feb 2, 2016.

1. Pernosa

Pernosa Registered

Hello, sorry for my English. I'm looking for a server to host the games in my League. I've looked on kimsufi. Would it work correctly with this server with windows?

Core™ i3-2130 2c/4t 3.4 GHz+, 8 GB ram, 2 TB, 100 Mbps.

Thanks.

2. alpha-bravo

alpha-bravo Registered

should be more then enough in my opinion.

3. stonec

stonec Registered

Beware that OS is probably not included in that offer, it usually costs extra per month.

4. Pernosa

Pernosa Registered

5. F1Fan07

F1Fan07 Member

Yes, I hosted on nearly the same hardware for a while... a KS-1 from when the Canadian datacentre was first built, so a few years ago.

6. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

I guess, it depends on, how many driver and e.g. if teamspeak should be installed/used on this server, too. It`s a while ago, when i was hosting rf2 dedicated server, before rf2 become hdr mandatory etc. I started with a core i3/6GB RAM/100Mbps but it wasn`t really flawless (incld. ts server on the machine), i went on annother rack with core i5 and 12 gb ram and 1000 Mbps. It was much better...

7. redapg

redapg Registered

I don't know what a "Dedicated Server" from Kimsufi means in your Case.

But make sure that you get a "Standalone" Server where your Server as onliest uses the whole Hardware.
    I would suspect that you have to share it, if it's the one for 16.99 € / Month + Tax.

8. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

Well, it was a dedicated server in my case, not a vserver. I tried a vserver too, but it was horrible...

9. RaceDoedel

RaceDoedel Registered

May be this here:
    https://www.kimsufi.com

10. redapg

redapg Registered

Thanks, but i took the Price from this Site. ;)
    But it isn't described exactly what "Dedicated Server" means. Or i at least didn't find it.

When we rented our Community-Servers (it's a while ago), a Dedicated Server was always a "shared Server" and we rented so called "Root Server", where you got the complete Hardware only for your own usage.

But it had a Price of 65€/ Month and Server.
    That's why i suspect that the one for 16.99€ + Tax... is a shared one.

11. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

12. Pernosa

Pernosa Registered

Im from Spain :p, thanks guys.

13. Pernosa

Pernosa Registered

Im from Spain, thanks guys :p

14. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

That`s my guess, too. It must be a vserver...

15. F1Fan07

F1Fan07 Member

Nope. Kimsufi are dedicated servers, you lease a physical server in a rack, you don't share it with anyone. OVH is pretty well dominating the low-end dedicated server market right now with low prices often on older hardware (look at some of the CPUs... i7-920 and Atom N2800? Those are 5-7 years old) and/or consumer grade hardware (one of my servers had Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200 rpm drives*, for example) and very good prices on mid-range servers. I have had several over the years, typically upgrading after 2-3 years when I can get better hardware for the same price.

Given that KS is the low-end product you don't get some of the extras included and you're at the bottom of the list for service interventions. That said, I've had disk failures or other issues and usually have an email from an OVH technician before I'm aware of the problem.

* crap drives by the way and just like the ones I had at home, failed early in their expected lifespan.

16. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

Sure? Dedicated server by OVH are starting from 73 Euro...

17. redapg

redapg Registered

18. F1Fan07

F1Fan07 Member

Very sure. In fact, when one of my RAID drives failed on a KS1 it was my responsibility to rebuild the array after the tech put in a new drive. That's not shared hosting. Everything I can see from the Control Panel and when logged into my server tells me it's a standalone machine.

There are a few levels of OVH hardware.

cheap: Kimsufi - old and/or consumer hardware, 100 Mbps, little in the way of extras (I had a fluke KS1 from when the Canadian data centre first opened and I had a free external firewall option... current KS servers don't have that). I pay 15 Euro for Core i5-750 1x2TB. It's running Debian.

affordable: SoYouStart - better hardware, usually 250 Mbps, 100 GB FTP backup storage, etc.. See http://www.soyoustart.com/ca/en/essential-servers/ I run multiple rF2 and rF1 servers plus TeamSpeak off of one of these.

cha-ching: OVH Dedicated (which is probably where you see the 73 Euro) are their professional line. Powerful servers and you're at the front of the queue for servicing.

I just remembered something of relevance to the OP. AFAIK, you **can not** get any Windows OS on a Kimsufi now. There are workarounds to get it on there (and even people that will do it for you for a fee) but you're unsupported by OVH. The minimum server from OVH for Windows is SoYouStart.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 3, 2016