Random freeze/stutter

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by depor, Jan 29, 2016.

1. depor

depor Registered

After i upgrade my computer from the old spec i had, been having this 1 second game freezes in rfactor. It happened on rf1 but since league was gonna move to rf2 didnt care much as it was gonna be a waste of my time, but now that we moved to rf2 they still happen!

I have manage to reduce the time of the freeze with the Pre rendered frame setting to "1" but its still there, and its quite annoying and as made me crash or leave track a couple of times, so need to correct this before the season starts. Tried a couple of things a friend of mine told me to (pre rendered framte to 1 was one of them) but still no luck, they keep coming.

They can happen a more than once a day, there are other days that they dont happen at all, sometiems there is just 1 in that giving day...its very random and very annoying, thats why im trying to see if anyone can help me out on the forums, as its gettin greally frustrating to not being able to run rfactor 2 in a stable way, after spending alot of money on this new machine.

My computer specs are as follow:

Windows 7 x64
    Intel Core i5 4460 3,2Ghz 6MB
    MSI B85-G43 Gaming
    HyperX Savage DDR3-2400MHz 8GB (2x4GB)
    Asus GTX960 2GB DDR5 Turbo OC
    240GB OCZ Arc100

I have a couple of HDD but they are there to have my personal stuff, the rf2 installation is on the SDD drive, wich is the system one as well.

The computer is more than able to run rf2. Atm its the only one that is giving me problems. I run DiRT rally every day with no issues, and that game is even on one of the HDD instead of the SDD.

Would appreciate anyone that as some ideas to try it out and try to solve this issue.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 29, 2016
  2. wpthayer

wpthayer Registered

You might try setting Vertical sync on Adaptive...It will cap your frames at 60, but should be smoother, Worth a try, works for me.

3. depor

depor Registered

Can try that again, but was one of the things my friend told me to change (default was adaptive), but can still give it a go.

4. Emery

Emery Registered

Real-time virus protection turned off?
    Scheduled disk maintenance?
    Adobe or Yahoo or Google updaters running?
    Are you running windowed mode or full-screen?

5. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

I started getting this local freeze, sometimes 1s, which freezes me locally but the server still runs so the laptime is down 1s or more. Very annoying and the worst part is there has been no change in programs or software settings. Can't trace back to anything :eek:.

6. depor

depor Registered

1) had no antivirus for half of last year and it happened anyway, installed a anti virus a few days ago and still same thing.
    2) No, checked that before that we made sure it wasnt doing anything
    3) that isnt for sure as well, checked that as well.
    4) im running windowed but happens in full screen as well.

7. depor

depor Registered

Thats exactly what happens to me...if i get the freeze, it reflects on the server lap time.

8. WhiteShadow

WhiteShadow Registered

In game ctrl+f two times and you see green bar on the top left side of your monitor. Do you have red line flashing below that green bar?

9. regged

regged Registered

Worth setting "Max Framerate" in your player.json to 60 or whatever your refresh rate is. This fixed micro stutters and the "weird, says 100 fps but feels like 40 fps" feeling for me. Vsync not required when this is set - although i get very slight tearing, but only occasionally.

10. WhiteShadow

WhiteShadow Registered

If you have the option to turn on "Triple Buffering" you can try that in addition to VSync. Triple buffering can help you keep the benefits of VSync while negating some of the performance loss, keeping your game smooth and tear-free.

You can also try this> UserData > player folder and open player.JASON file and edit:
    "Texture Sharpening":0,
    "Texture Sharpening#":"Sharpen textures using MIP LOD bias - 0=Off, 1=+2.0(very blurry), 2=+1.0(blurry), 3=-1.0(sharp), 4=-2.0(very sharp), 5=0.0(auto)",

Nvidia Control Pane > rFactor2 profile.
    Maximum pre-rendered frames > 1
    Power managemetn mode > Preferer maximum performance.

11. Gavin Newcombe

Gavin Newcombe Registered

I also get this happening and lose between 1 - 2 seconds on lap time. My frame rates on average are 70 to 140.

12. depor

depor Registered

Will try all of the options you guys gave me tonigh, will get back to you once ive done it.

Ill see what happens and will reply as soon as i start testing tonight.

13. depor

depor Registered

Just tried it, flickers the red bar when i exit the garage, after that doesnt show at all.

14. WhiteShadow

WhiteShadow Registered

I think that 1 second game freezes in rfactor cuold be stutters. Try this.

Go to: UserData > player folder and open player.JASON file and edit:

"Max Framerate":60,
    "Max Framerate#":"0 to disable (note: positive numbers only, we always use the 'alternate' method now)",

"Texture Sharpening":0,
    "Texture Sharpening#":"Sharpen textures using MIP LOD bias - 0=Off, 1=+2.0(very blurry), 2=+1.0(blurry), 3=-1.0(sharp), 4=-2.0(very sharp), 5=0.0(auto)",

Go to : Nvidia Control Pane > rFactor2 profile.

Maximum pre-rendered frames > 1
    Power managemetn mode > Preferer maximum performance.

rFactor2 video settings: Mode > Fullscreen.

:confused:

15. Lazza

Lazza Registered

I'm not sure a 1 second pause really counts as 'stutter'.

16. depor

depor Registered

Ok, will try those, but cant use on Fullscreen, game crashes too often, in a league race its very worrying.

17. depor

depor Registered

Tried those but didnt work, just got a stutter again :(

18. depor

depor Registered

Went to test the game with gamecaster (shows me clock, vram, fps and temp)...every game i play its under 70º temp and uses 2GB of the graphic card, but rfactor2 is using only 1 and its reaching 70º temps wich is weird, could be because of this?

19. WhiteShadow

WhiteShadow Registered

Sounds like you have driver issue. I think you should do clean install with DDU. https://forums.geforce.com/default/t...d-01-19-2016-/
    Use first DDU option " Clean and DO NOT restart" and then Clean and restart.
    When you are installing new driver in windows use option custom and then clean install. Use rF2 settings from my post #14

20. depor

depor Registered

Did that before you even said hehe....my settings from rf2 were a bit low, so i raised them to test a few things...vram now is used to 1.5gb, so i think that isnt the issue....but ill put your se3tings and see what happens...tomorrow will test more