[WIP] Pocono

Discussion in 'Locations' started by A13, Jan 8, 2016.

1. A13

A13 Registered

Motivated by all the released stock car content, I started to work on Pocono while holidays, in hope nobody else is doing it. ;)

It's still in early stages. The Racesurface is nearly done.
    My plan is to release a beta version of the track (in around 1-2 weeks) once the surface is finished and all walls / fences are placed.

The purpose of the beta is to find out how good the road fits to the real track.
    All I know is that Pocono was once a bumpy place until it got repaved in 2012
    This year T2 was so bumpy for the first Nascar race, that parts of T2 got repaved again.

So the beta is needed to get some feedback before completing the track.

If someone wants to join me in creating or has some good reference material to share, you're welcome. :)
    Photos from this year would be appreciated. It's hard to find some exact data about the track, like for example where the cambers start and stop, or if the straights are completely flat. Any information about that would be great. :)

View attachment 19013 View attachment 19012 View attachment 19014 View attachment 19015

2. TPG

TPG Registered

3. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

YES! Awesome stuff, Pocono is the track I'm most looking forward to racing in rF2.
    I wish you all the best with the work on the track.

Let me know if you want help with AIW and/or trackside cams at some point, I'll be happy to assist. :)

4. jimcarrel

jimcarrel Registered

Glad to see you are going to do this. Pocono is a great track.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 8, 2016
  5. TheScrapanator

TheScrapanator Registered

6. Shamrock

Shamrock Registered

Don't Indycars also use Pocono?

7. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

Great addition to rF2!

The iRacing version is close to flawless and a great reference if you have access to that. I suspect you are only planning to do the roval, though, and not the quite unusual infield courses?

8. TheScrapanator

Yes but quite dangerous compared to stock car racing.

9. Bjørn

Bjørn Registered

How dangerous?

10. rhamm

rhamm Registered

Would be nice to see the infield road courses too but I realize that's like 5 times the work.

11. Emery

Emery Registered

Pocono is one of the tracks with aerial LiDAR publicly available.

12. Eric Rowland

Eric Rowland Registered

Thanks A13...b5#9!

13. A13

A13 Registered

When the time has come, I'll give you shout a hexagramme ;)

For now the plan is only to make the oval. The infield layouts are indeed interesting and for sure worth to think about including them. Considering how much work it is, I will start to think it about then the oval is done and version 1.0 is reached. ;)

Thanks for the hint on the iracing version, I don't own iracing, but had a look at some in game videos. It looks like iracing's version is from an older age. According to satellite images and videos, they removed all the curbs, the straights are made wider, the catch fences are now all around the track and safety walls got added on the left side. So there is not much information to get out of the iracing version, but at least I can better estimate where cambers start and stop. :)

View attachment 19028 View attachment 19029

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKv4hwM7BDo

I also had a look into the LIDAR data, it helps a little bit, but not that much as expected.

I wonder if someone can confirm or not confirm the elevation changes? I measured through google earth (which is always inaccurate in height), a slight elevation change. Front straight is going 2-3 meters downhill over the whole length, the both other straights then 1-1,5m uphill. But I guess over the length of the straight it's a fact that can be ignored.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 10, 2016
  14. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

I'd be surprised if the area of a track that huge was actually that flat. One problem we have with a lot of modded tracks is the absolute flat base that doesn't match reality. But I agree, for this track, it's less of an issue.

15. TheScrapanator

If you watched Justin Wilson's final race where the crash killed him in Indycar, pretty much that dangerous.

16. sg333

sg333 Registered

You might want to check the facts on that one, buddy.

17. Bjørn

Bjørn Registered

I saw that. It had nothing to do with the track... It could have happened anywhere. It was a nose cone that killed him, not a race track.

18. Eric Rowland

Eric Rowland Registered

19. A13

A13 Registered

nice vid :)

Developing an accurate track is always a struggle. After 3 rebuilds of the surface, I'm finally getting close to something I like.
    At the start of the project I had problems getting the LIDAR data into Max. Fortunately Mario showed me now a way how to do it. Thank you. :)

Having them now in Max, it shows that previous measurements were already pretty much accurate. Even the estimated elevation changes in terrain fit well, but need some tweaking. So I'm pretty optimistic the fourth rebuild will be satisfying. :)
    The pointclouds don't have a high resolution, but are indeed very useful to measure all the buildings, trees and billboards around the track.

View attachment 19096 View attachment 19097 View attachment 19098

20. Emery

Emery Registered

Excellent! Good to see people make use of our government-funded generosity :D