Updated Stock Cars v1.04 Now Available!

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by 88mphTim, Jan 7, 2016.

1. Jamie Shorting

Jamie Shorting Registered

Tire wear is what makes online sim racing fun in races 45 mins or longer. Never understood all the complaints regarding tire wear.

2. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

I had pros contacting me constantly saying DON'T CHANGE IT while people were complaining about wear. Based on our own data, our own testing, and professionals, we really have to do our own thing than listen to complaints we don't or can't agree with.

3. Eric Rowland

Eric Rowland Registered

^ Thank you!

4. Jamie Shorting

Jamie Shorting Registered

Awesome. :)

5. Miro

Miro Registered

The sim is freakin awesome, especially the current tires (wet, inters and dry). First did not think all the long work (as it seemed from my POV) pays of on the tires but dude....dude!!!

6. meganinja

meganinja Registered

You guys can make a Third Person camera for StockCars? i love drive in third person but the actual camera in rfactor are bad to drive in Ovals

7. Ronnie

Ronnie Registered

Oh yes. You guys wouldn't believe how wonderfully, well made wet/inter and dry (especially wet tyres), behave. Right Miro? ;) Hehe

8. AceLain

AceLain Registered

You press PAGE UP (I think) and you will change to a camera behind the car.

You can now reposition it a little bit with the numeric keypad

9. jimcarrel

jimcarrel Registered

Tire wear is fantastic! With the new car update, the rears are working even better (it is now easier to abuse the rears, than before the update... lots more realistic!)

10. KingKenny04

KingKenny04 Registered

I built a setup for Brookdale that I could run about 40 laps on before the right side tires really started to scream bloody murder at me. I was about a second and a half off qualifying pace but I kind of figured that was the point, you SHOULD be slower if you want to save the tires.

Now I've read that a few guys who recently ran a race2play event at Mountain Peak (stock car version 1.0) were having their right front tires melt off completely after a few laps, and one of the drivers mentioned specifically, "Real world setup tricks don't work." and "The WRONG tire gains heat too quickly...Every green flag run, the right front melted off. In real life, as well as numerous other sims, it's all about managing the right rear."

I didn't run this race myself and haven't done much running at Mountain Peak, so I have no idea if those are accurate statements or not. I'm curious about what sort of setup or drive style would cause these conditions and what kind of changes would need to be made to correct them. I figure as long as a setup can be made that balances the tire wear while allowing for a near neutral handling car, and that setup is something close to what you'd see on a real world car, there's no issue and people just need to "get good".

EDIT: Totally didn't see there was already another page full of replies. Thanks for the reply, Tim!

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 8, 2016
  11. mschreiner

mschreiner Registered

Personally after reading your marked out stuff there, those guys at race to play are totally over driving the car if they are melting the tires off.
    You can not run qualifying laps for 20 something laps, you can only do it for 1-2 laps and then the tires will start to melt unless you back off.

Most NASCAR tracks this past year would lose 2-3 seconds on lap times through a tire run. Some tracks 1-2 seconds.
    So far these cars have been getting closer to this with each tire update.
    Plus the Gen6 car setups are different from the older Aero Coupe cars from the early 2000's. T
    hey would coil bind and that is not allowed anymore with the current car.
    Most of the default setups are pretty close to real world setups these days, but allowed to be tweaked to get more speed.
    Plus one setup may not fit one persons driving style but the same setup may be great for another.
    It is all about setting the car up to handle the way you want it to react with your driving style.
    But aggressive driving will abuse the tires.
    Not that you can not set your car up to be aggressive.
    Most real drivers set their cars up to be aggressive and on the edge and back the car down during the race, then they push it hard when the time comes to do so.

Having to manage tires is a huge part of racing. That is Why they limit the # of tires you can use in a race so you have to manage them.

Cheers,
    Mike

12. Matt Sentell

Matt Sentell Registered

Well that's one half of the story. If you want to see the other it's here in the post-race comments:

http://race2play.com/schedule/show_event/19371

This was on the 1.0 version though.

13. KingKenny04

KingKenny04 Registered

Okay that makes more sense. I was under the impression that everyone in that race was having issues with the car, not just one guy. That definitely sounds like overdriving the car.

14. PearceYaussy

PearceYaussy Registered

Oh the irony of this statement...

15. Matt Sentell

Matt Sentell Registered

I think others were having similar problems because it's easy to overdrive the entry. The tires are very sensitive to how you drive the car but the loads at a track like that are enormous, so managing them from about lap 3 on is critical.

16. KingKenny04

KingKenny04 Registered

That makes a lot more sense, I noticed at tracks like Brookdale and Palm Springs its a lot easier to save the tires. I guess its just the transition on the banking is easier and the speeds are a bit lower?

17. Matt Sentell

Matt Sentell Registered

Pretty sure there's just less banking on those tracks so the vertical loading is lower, but those are certainly high loads on those tracks as well since they still have considerable banking. I'm talking in comparison to the loads seen in road racing or on shorter, lower-banked ovals like Richmond. It's all relative to the compounds being used though.

Edit: Just to add a bit more to that, my understanding is that the current cars only have one tire for each track type. So all "Speedway" tires are the same, whereas in real life the tires at pretty much every track are different. Some may be very similar or even identical but generally speaking they're designed and manufactured on a per-track basis. It's my understanding, though I could be wrong, that this will be coming for the rF2 stock cars mod down the line. It should have a big effect on temperatures at a given track, which is what's ultimately causing the lap time falloff and balance changes. Right now there are tracks like Indianapolis where tire temps don't get as high as I think they should because of this single compound and the relatively low vertical loading at Indy.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 9, 2016
  18. FuNK!

FuNK! Registered

Image to explain aforementioned.
    [​IMG]

Already found that this is still present with the update. So this would be my request for the next one :D

19. Taris Henrique

Taris Henrique Registered

After the update 1.04 my personal skins dont work anymore. There is a new process to do it?

20. FuNK!

FuNK! Registered

They changed the VEH names from e.g. SC2014_78.VEH to SC2015_78.VEH. If you change the year to 2015 your skin should work again ;) At least I guess you created a driver from an ALT skin.