rf2 7.1 sound?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by keyloki, Jan 3, 2016.

1. McFlex

McFlex Registered

From what i remind from an other thread and from my own tests is that rF2 doesn't support multi-speaker output although it's selectable in the sound settings.

I have a Asus Xonar DX/DG with DDL and an digital output to my AV receiver any when i setup the receiver to just let the audio through with no "manipulation" like upsampling or sth. like that, then there is no audio from the rear.

2. Carlo

Carlo Registered

There's always confusion and misinformation when talking about sound on a PC. Durge, we're talking about SPDIF, not analog (yuck). Up until this year I was using a THX certified Klipsch system (analog) for my PC. It died, didn't want to fix it, and didn't want to use my main sound system (dims the lights in the house when cranked). So I now use a fairly decent Onkyo 7.1 system for the PC.

With SPDIF, the digital to analog conversion (DAC) is done by the receiver, not the Realtek chip on the motherboard - it's not that relevant. All amplification is done by the receiver, not the Realtek. What is relevant is the quality of the DACs and amplifiers in the receiver. SPDIF is fully digital and provides great S/N.

But, there is a catch. Uncompressed 5.1 audio is too large to fit over a SPDIF connection, where compressed formats like Dolby/DTS are small enough to fit.

Dolby Digital Live has one purpose: To make a 5.1 stream fit over an optical/coaxial digital connection. Linear PCM, Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio have such high bit rates because they are lossless formats while Dolby Digital and DTS-HD are lossy/compressed. SPDIF (TOSLINK optical or Digital Coax) does not have the ability to transmit the amount of data necessary for more than 2 channels of LPCM, so Dolby Digital or DTS are needed.

3. Ricknau

Ricknau Registered

Let me correct myself... output to my rear speakers is not dead. I do hear ambient crowd noise. But there is no car sound placement there.

Tried all of the above, at Silverstone and Malaysia (ISI tracks). I set AI count to one. Before the flag drop I pull ahead and stop so the AI car will approach and pass to one side. No affect at all of it approaching in the rear speaker and passing by to the front speaker.

This reflects my experience with just plain ol vanilla 5.1 copper wires to a 5.1 powered speaker system. I remember in threads from way back that rear sounds didn't work (at least wired) and it was something that we would just have to wait for when it got to the top of the ISI to-do list. I don't think it has ever gotten there.

:(

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 6, 2016
  4. Ricknau

Ricknau Registered

Did that (yucky :D ) analog system produce rear car placement sounds?

Is that analog? I presume not since you aren't a fan of analog but wonder if it is do you get rear car sounds?

Are you using the Logitech Z906 in analog?

I guess I'm trying to nail down for myself that analog itself is the problem. I'm getting hopeful from posts about 5.1 success but I guess digital is the key? ... and always has been?

5. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

I can use SDPiF ( backplate from SB card to amp ) .......... or / and I use optical ( my amp has both optical connectors as well ) .

Where did I say I use analog, link me with misinformation. ffs lol

My DTT3500 I used digital since I swap from the Platinum Live card years ago.........

and I hear rF2 and all sims all speakers ........

look up what the Creative software does for games with the GOOD Creative cards. , ( not those crappy cheap chipsets they use in value cards gessus )

I not going to argue I have both 1150 and a titanium with digital encoding and licensed dolby software.

the 1150 is a %^$# POS - $10 chipset

I glad I have what I got I hear these new Creative Cards are also a POS in early sims.

It is the DDT amp and software do the work for me Realtek don't get even bloody close. ;)

6. David Turnbull

David Turnbull Registered

the alc1150 is a decent audio chipset, nobody says its a word beater but when you have it connected by optical to your amp it means its not even producing sound, its producing a digital bitstream that your amp decodes so sound quality is amp dictated.

whatever you add in your creative panel is just effects, when you play a game with stereo through optical your amp will speaker fill so you get all speakers producing sound, it will either be by dd or prologic or whatever but your still only getting a fake surround wether you think your creative software is the bee's knee's or what.

p.s I have Realtek ALC1150 115dB SNR HD Audio plus Additional Sound Blaster X-Fi MB3 on my board connected to Teac AG-7D with hacked R2.79 drivers and receive DTS and DDL through optical connection and I can recommend it to anyone with roughly the same chipset, it is not a POS like some say.

7. Ozzy

Ozzy Registered

That is not completely true. I'm using a X-Fi Xtreme Music and I was able to install the Live Pack without any Problems. Currently using analog output but I can ensure you DTS Live works.

Regarding the confusion about rF2 surround. I'm quite sure that only the reverberations can be heard in the surround speakers (center and rears). Drive near a wall/guardrail or any bigger obstacle and you can hear it.
    All direct sounds are coming from the fronts regardless of there position.

8. Axe

Axe Registered

and that reverb can be experimented with in player.json
    Reverb Max Dist="20.00000" // Distance from wall at which reverb drops to zero

9. Carlo

Carlo Registered

Ah, Durge ... A bit simplified, but ...

With TOSLINK, no sound output processing is undertaken by the Realtek. Bits are moved from the computer to the receiver via PCM (lossless and not compressed). ALL processing (upmixing, decoding, digital to analog conversion, amplification) is done by the receiver. Bits are bits (data). Generally, even a modestly priced receiver will have vastly superior op-amps, DACs, isolation, filtering than that of any dedicated sound card which has to work in a very noisy electrical environment.

That said, when the Dolby Digital Live (DDL) codec is introduced, then bits are modified in real-time before being pushed out the cable. Technically, DDL degrades sound quality - 48 kHz/16-bit @ 640 kbit/s lossy and compressed. DTS is the DDL competitor. The DTS Interactive codec also ouputs lossy, compressed 5.1 albeit usually 48 kHz/24bit. As a side-note, the sampling frequency of audio CDs is 44.1 kHz and DVDs is 48 kHz. Do not confuse Dolby and DTS used in commercial environments (e.g. theaters) with that of the PC based codecs.

On a PC, the limitation is the TOSLINK connection itself. You can't push more bits through it than it's capable of handling. As an analogy, you can't magically transform SATA II to SATA III through software or otherwise.

If using headphones through the jack located on a PC, then of course, a good dedicated sound card will likely perform better than any on-board chipset. If using TOSLINK, the headphones should be plugged into the receiver to take advantage of the hardware located within. Likewise, if using the analog jacks on the back of a PC, a dedicated card will produce better sound.

When talking analog, higher end mobos generally have better filtering, shielding and isolation. Some boards allow swapping of op-amps. This stuff costs money, so don't expect much from H series Giga boards for example - you'll likely do better with a dedicated card.

On paper, the specs for the Realtek 1150 are fairly impressive. It supports 16/20/24-bit SPDIF, 44.1k/48k/96k/192kHz sample rates and 115dB S/N. However, how it's implemented by the mobo manufacturer and the quality of the Realtek DACs, filters and amps can't match that of a good dedicated card. But with TOSLINK, much of that is irrelevant since none of it is used.

The DTT3500 is no match against a Home Theater system using TOSLINK off the Realtek. By it's own spec sheet, the DTT3500 only outputs 89w RMS total and with 10% THD across all speakers to boot. Also ~70dB S/N. And, the tiny 30w LFE sub can't compare to a floor shaking, wall cracking 150w 15" Polk Audio LFE. Sorry, not even close.

See for yourself:
    www.anandtech.com/show/677

By the way, I'm a sound purist who dislikes digital sound (though it is getting much better). Old vinyl through a dedicated, high-end pre-amp and amplifier still sounds better to me. Apparently, a lot of people agree judging by the surge of vinyl sales as of late - could be just a fad though.

10. Carlo

Carlo Registered

@Ricknau

In all honesty, I don't recall getting expected 5.1 in rF2 when I was using an analog THX 5.1 system. On occasion, I would use dedicated cards (only 1 of my PCs has a dedicated card now). With the Onkyo 7.1 receiver (TOSLINK - digital) I'm using with rF2, the experience seems better/fuller with 5.1 DDL enabled (left/right), but no, I don't really get the sensation of cars approaching from behind.

However, I'm old and my hearing ain't what it used to be - the positional awareness that I should have is probably lacking (hearing above 8k). Younger folk might experience otherwise.

I'm inclined to believe that only ISI can tell us what the their source material contains sound-wise. We may be chasing rainbows.

11. Carlo

Carlo Registered

@David

Good point. One shouldn't confuse software effects with quality of the hardware.

Edit: I will admit I have SRS enabled however.