Opinions on Assetto Corsa Physics (1.4)

Discussion in 'Other Games' started by PearceYaussy, Jan 2, 2016.

1. PearceYaussy

PearceYaussy Registered

LOL I figured as much

2. PearceYaussy

PearceYaussy Registered

Actually that's exactly what I'm worried about... Not many mods being done for rF2 because most of the rF1 Modders have switched to AC. No online activity in rF2 because everyone has gone over to AC...........

3. Golanv

Golanv Registered

^This

4. Avo1977

Avo1977 Registered

Copy paste from racedepartment

Assetto Corsa is in my opinion one of the best things happening in sim racing since a very long time 'cause it combines great graphics and car selection with a clever approach to physics modeling.

In particular the tire simulation is controlled with a few parameters accessible by the final users but it's still able to reproduce reality in a very credible manner thanks to the quite complex model chewing them.

Some of the AC builds have been truly gorgeous in terms of driving feel with a wonderful balance between accessibility (cars are easy to drive below the limit) and punishment (near and over the limit, no matter the available grip, all cars become nasty).

From build 1.3 we gained some important improvement in tire physiscs regarding load sensitivity (finally flat out Eau Rouge - Radillon is a real challenge for Gt3 cars even if for one year this was labeled as 'NO ISSUE'), but we completely lost any drama in carefully managing the throttle or controlling low and high speed oversteer.

Good drivers are still rewarded but misbehavior is just causing bad lap times with no virtual 'danger'.

The yaw rotation seems to be dampened and too forgiving.

It's correct to make things a bit easier in a simulation 'cause most of the crucial feedback needed to control a car are missing (linear and rotational accelerations) and even the best rigs introduces some significant lag, but at the moment IMHO AC has gone too far.

It would be interesting to know what has been changed in the core (and in the tire parameters) between 1.2.x and 1.3.x regarding the following aspects:
    - yaw motion equations
    - combined grip equations
    - grip vs slip curves calculations (both longitudinal and lateral)
    - tire relaxation length and its dependency on load

This product could truly dominate the market for both casual and hardcore sim-drivers, but at the moment it's apparently drifting toward the 'too easy' path.

It's perfectly understandable 'cause in this way it can attract more customers and have more funds for the next developments but IMHO it should give us the possibility to come back to the previous car behavior maintaining all the recent improvement introduced.

This would be an ideal win-win situation achievable by exposing just a few more parameters about tire dynamics and a bit of telemetry channels (mainly tires lateral and longitudinal forces).

At the moment I'm using an old 1.2.5 and, beside all its flaws, it's much more entertaining and similar to my real track and road driving experience than the latest AC versions...

Even project Cars is now more rewarding than AC (most of the vehicles on the latest builds are not bad at all). I know, it may sound absurd, but just try the street Audi R8 or the Lotus 72 in both games...

5. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

It isn't excusable to move towards the accessible realm by sacrificing other aspects. That's why aids exist. One thing I always struggled with in AC has been the force feedback but that's outside the realm of this topic.

6. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

I haven't dabbled with racecars with AC as of late because I didn't like them before especially things like GT3/GT cars. This was up to the v1.2x times so I don't really know about now. I think the street cars in AC are the best in the business though and I've had this opinion since the game's pre-release tech-demo. I agree with some though who say that things seem a little under-active - not "alive" enough - but every sim falls either on that side of the scale or the other side and it's honestly not that bad at all with AC. Like with most sims, there are parts of ACs driving that I feel are superior to the rest, and parts which are behind.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 3, 2016
  7. rhamm

rhamm Registered

I know someone who was REALLY fast in Grand Prix Legends using a joystick and pedals.

8. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Never head such a load of cods wallop.

Try the Lotus 72 he says in both games lool

How about you try the F1 Eve and BT20, see how your pathetically physics sterile pair of Lotus feel then.

How about you try the Cobra in both games. :rolleyes:

lol

9. Avo1977

Avo1977 Registered

I was comparing just AC and pCars.
    Rf2 is in another league, physics wise.

10. Dmitry Chugrov

Dmitry Chugrov Registered

11. stonec

stonec Registered

Agree. All sims have their issues, but at least we have a lot to choose from. rF2 issue is the weightless feeling of most cars, very notable for example in the latest Camaro version. AC has a very weighty feeling on most cars - I think they got this part of the equations about right - but sadly it's behind in the tire model. pCars felt wrong in most ways last time I tried it, R3E felt arcade, GSCE / Automobilista still has some rF1 feeling to it, etc.

12. PaulG

PaulG Registered

I agree this would be better discussed on the AC forums, but don't throw me in with your dirty bathwater. I'm fairly certain the majority of sim racers are like myself. And the majority own all the sims. I don't really understand or like the rabid fanboyism that some sim racers engage in. And I certainly don't want to be tossed in with these guys. As far as I'm concerned, they represent a very vocal minority.

13. Joe

Joe Registered

14. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Well I never ever said another league or world, just better imo.

I probably been most famous for saying if you threw ISI engine and features into Project Cars or Assetto Corsa would do me.

Something similar is no less then what I expect of the next ISI evolution.

Who is to say next version AC and pCars don't get bogged down in their current format /API while ISI with new API rock their world.

Spinelli once told me over years ago " just because they have DX10/11 does not mean ISI can build the best weather and effects " ..................we will see ( hopefully, toes crossed...p )

Sidenote: what he says about tyres makes no sense to me either, so ISI takes time
    and AC is easy..........which means you have more mods with average tyres. ?

I mean any stock ISI tyres on the mods is better then 100's of number punched things.

Till I see mods in AC handle like Flat6 or Ferrari Challenge or others I remain unconvinced.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 4, 2016
  15. Minibull

Minibull Member

Found it easy to control sliding from the initial release XD

16. samuelw

samuelw Registered

Many moons ago, the character actor Robert Morley wrote a piece for Playboy on how to purchase a great meal in a restaurant. One of his methods was to complain. A lot. My first reaction was horror at the rudeness this man proposed. Mr. Morley, however, went on to explain that his criticism provided necessary feedback enabling the individual restaurants to maintain 5 star meals. On further consideration he has a point for restaurants and race sims.

Developers do read these message boards, Race Department's, No Grip's, and of course ISI's own boards. Thus these boards can serve as forums to tell developers what you like or don't like about their products. Developers may wish to modify their products to better conform to what the public wants. Self criticism is difficult at some point, and public feedback is the antedote. Posting a dislike in AC, rF2, PC, or iR, while it may initially hurt feelings, can provide valuable market research for developers and is theredore good for them. It may also get us better sims. Stating what you like is ok too. (Though if you only post likes you're not helping to move things forward.)

While these threads inevitably result in name calling I believe they do provide useful information to both developers and users. Its useful for people to say both what they like and what they don't like.

I for one enjoy these threads and feel I can learn stuff from the ensuing debates. Thanks to all.

17. bwana

bwana Registered

And as such this thread should be on another forum.

18. Golanv

Golanv Registered

Blah blah blah... boring.. useless.. blah blah blah.

19. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

+1 (including the details of the capsule comments on the various titles)

And I went back to iRacing after a long hiatus and was pleasantly surprised to find a number of cars had been dramatically transformed for the better (apparently due to the tire model update in the second to last quarterly update). For example, the Skippy is like night and day compared to the older one. For the first time, it feels better than the rF2 version. Even so, it is now also a bit lifeless (and default set-up is super conservative, like a school set-up) and I am very confident when the new rF2 Skippy update appears, it will take the crown again. But isn't this amazing? Actual competition that is moving the whole industry forward? Actual choices from hared core sims all the way to console racers...all being actively developed in their own ways. I remember the drought years, so not a lot to complain about now.

20. Liuke44

Liuke44 Registered