[REL] 1991 Group C v1.1 Released

Discussion in 'Vehicles' started by Petros Mak, Dec 24, 2015.

1. V12_Ben

V12_Ben Registered

Managed to find the time to tweak the set up a bit and wow does the 962 feel good.

Absolutely loving the mod guys - one of my favourites for sure, thanks so much.

Here's a few laps I did around Oulton Park:

2. Petros Mak

Petros Mak Registered

Awesome video there V12_Ben. Thanks for sharing. Glad you are enjoying the mod. :)

3. cbvta

cbvta Registered

My favorite mod. thanks for all the hard work. After reading the info in this thread i can now figure out how to make my own teams in rf2. quite different than rf1. also, thanks for the templates. will be keeping an eye on this thread.

4. Damian Baldi

Damian Baldi Registered

The best way we found to create custom skins, is to use a .mas file that contains the .dds files. This way you avoid the problem of the 12 character max, because you have to use long names for wheels and covers.

The .mas file must include the ALT word to work well. Then, you could drop the .mas file into an existing car, or create your own team.

For online racing, I recommend to use the .mas file into an existing car, because I saw problems sometimes to transfer the skin to the other drivers when you use your own team. For offline races you could use your own team without any problem.

5. alpha-bravo

alpha-bravo Registered

Experienced on different tracks (Sebring VLM, Palm Springs Road) that some (not all) of the AI driven cars can't leave their garage.
    Is this known or a solution for that available? If you need further information about the used settings let me know.

Thank you
    PS: Had a lot of fun with the mod @ Sebring in a night race. Really a great mod. Will we see someday the Sauber ?

6. Liquid4653

Liquid4653 Registered

I will do some investigation into it alpha mate, cheers for the info. There is a third car;) in my Group C build.

7. cbvta

cbvta Registered

I have been practicing at Mid ohio, trying to make a basic setup. but a problem I have run into is the right front brake is overheating. rears stay relatively equal in temps. don't know if its my setup and/or my bad driving.

8. alpha-bravo

alpha-bravo Registered

1991 Group C v0.81 Released

Thank you [emoji4]
    As additional Info: I've created some virtual drivers with the provided skins in this thread but I guess that's not the reason because one time all cars except of one could not leave their pit place.
    And I noticed that the rev of the car raise very slowly while they hang on their pit spot.
    Maybe it has something to do with the shifter settings in the car options don't know if this can influence the AI ? ^^
    And yesterday where it happend it was not always at the same cars.
    One time it was with all cars except of one and after a track reload around 8 cars of 12 or so could leave the pit.

9. Damian Baldi

Damian Baldi Registered

Try removing the cars/teams you created. I made huge amount of testing at Sebring with the AI without problem.

To be sure, go back to "tunning" section and select "pads" on the other cars you are not driving. I can't try it myself now I'm at work.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 1, 2016
  10. alpha-bravo

alpha-bravo Registered

thx damian will try that :)

11. smbrm

smbrm Registered

skinning

**********************************************************************************************************************

I agree with what you have said dbaldi, however I wanted to add some points of clarification.

For the files to be compressed in mas there appear to be some rules that impact success.

1) all the *.dds files within the mas file must have the same characters before the "alt"
    2) the mas file must have the identical characters before its "alt" as used for the *.dds files within the mas
    3) many of *.dds file characters between "alt" and ".dds" have required strings of different lengths. The maximum number of allowed characters including those before the "alt", the 3 for "alt" and those before ".dds" appears to be 15. The maximum number of characters allowed excluding the 3 for "alt" appears to be 12.
    So depending on the longest string before ".dds" and after "alt" defines how many characters you are allowed ahead of "alt". Sometimes it is "only ONE"

So an example mass file would be FBalt.mas. That is because at least one of the files inside the mas, the longest: FBaltwindowsout.dds only allows for "FA" 2 characters before the "alt" to meet the apparent 15/12 rule.

When I have followed these rules I get the mas file approach to work. If anyone wishes to provide more clarity they are more than welcome. I don't claim to be an expert, just sharing what I have observed, heard or learned.

Also if everyone has their own skin does this add anymore load to mutliplayer?

I also believe the server has to allow "Download custom skins" and all of the players who want to see the custom skins have allow "Download custom skins". Sometimes skin transfer appears automatic?
    Players can also request skin transfer. That is a player can request their own skin to be transfered by clicking the
    "transfer skin" button on the standings page. You can also download other's custom skins manually by highlighting an alternate player and clicking the "transfer skin" button.
    If you see a player with the little box ahead of their name this appears to indicate that the player has a custom skin. If the box is black their skin, indicates they have a skin you do not have. If the box is red the skin may be uploading to server, or downloading to your computer
    so that you can see it. If is it is green for yourself you are uploaded to server. If green for others then downloaded to you. At least I think that is how it appears to work.

I have also read somewhere that if you are uploading to server and leave the pits before your box turns green, your download may not complete for that session. Not sure if that same applies to other players that are downloading, ie. you have to wait for their box to turn green before
    leaving the pits?

Once a skin is uploaded to a server it is there for all to experience as long as the "Download custom skins" is checked on both server and player. If the server is rebooted however it may lose the custom skins on file and reloading may be required.

I have recorded this info, some of which no doubt is shared in other places, just not apparantly in one place with all of these nuances, at least not that I can find.

There appears to be many files that could be reskinned, but apparently there has to be a wildcard file for each, to allow the files you want to reskin, to work.

Perhaps someone else knows what these wild card files look like, or better still how to create them to make more elements paintable?

If someone wants to correct, add-too, or otherwise confirm any of this, please feel free to do so.

cheers

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 5, 2016
  12. samcar304

samcar304 Registered

13. Emery

Emery Registered

Skin transfer is the only multiplayer load incurred. Once skins are transferred, they're local and won't add to multiplayer load.

14. cbvta

cbvta Registered

Appears i spoke too soon, i can get the body to appear in game using either alt.dds or alt8.dds, under my own name and as an alt to 1 of the ingame cars.

i have been trying to get 962C_wcwindowsin.dds to work with my car. i have tryed the following names;

alt_wcwindowsin.dds
    altwcwindowsin.dds
    ALT_wcwindowsin.dds
    altwindowsin.dds
    windowsin.dds

none work as what i think it is supposed to do. which i think is paint the inside portion behind the headlight cover.

i have restarted game on each attempt. no go. but i can scroll in tuning when the file attachment has the alt in front and can see the whole file as a paint scheme.

15. smbrm

smbrm Registered

Based on the protocols discussed, I would suggest that you try ?altwcwindowsin.dds. "?" Is a letter for the "name" of your choice. So let's say ?=Z

wcwindowsin is the longest descriptor at 11 characters between "alt" and "dds", so to,meet the 15/12 rule, you are only allowed one character in front of "alt"

Your skin file should be named: Zalt.dds
    Your wcwindowsin file would have to be named: Zaltwcwindowsin.dds
    Your helmet file would have to be named: ZaltHelemt.dds
    Your window banner file would have to be named: ZaltExtra2
    Your wheel disc files would have to be named:
    Zaltextra101.dds
    Zaltextra102.dds
    Zaltextra103.dds
    Your Driver suit file would have to be named: ZaltDriver.dds
    Etc.
    Etc.
    Etc.

All of these dds files would then be compressed in a mas file called Zalt.mas and placed in one of the existing car directories

If you do not see one of the items that has been compressed in the ?alt.mas file, it may not have a wildcard file and therefore cannot be repainted!

Since I don't know what wild card files look like, I cannot help to predict which dds files ar repaintable?

Perhaps someone else knows?

16. redapg

redapg Registered

The used WC Materials are:
    for the Mazda 787:
    WCCARBODY
    WCDRIVER
    WCEXTRA0
    WCEXTRA3
    WCHELMET
    WCRIMS
    WCWINDOWSOUT
    WCWINDSHIELDIN
    WCWINDSHIELDOUT

and for the Porsche 962C:
    WCCARBODY
    WCDRIVER
    WCEXTRA1
    WCEXTRA2
    WCEXTRA3
    WCEXTRA4
    WCHELMET
    WCWINDOWSIN
    WCWINDOWSOUT

17. smbrm

smbrm Registered

OK, thank, appreciate the feedback.

I can only comment on the 962
    extra1 are the wheelcovers. there are 3 covers to create the spinning look of rotation
    extra2 is the windshield banner
    extra3 are the 5 spoke wheels. there are 3 wheels to create the spinning look of rotation
    extra4 are the BBS wheels. there are 3 wheels to create the spinning look of rotation
    windowsin is the headlight covers
    windowsout are the windshield and side windows. there appears to be areas for the headlight covers as part of this dds as well, not sure what the difference is compared to windows out?

of course what is paintable from car to car will vary with the mod as will file names.

I believe that ISI is trying to use common helmets and driver templates for their mods, an historic one and a modern one?

18. tjc

tjc Registered

I`m doing a skin (or maybe two) for this mod and have the skin itself is almost complete, I just need to find a couple of logos and who the driver was but I`m not sure how to get the rims working. I want to use "Rim B - Cross Spoke(Extra4)" but I can`t get them to show up no matter what I do or how I rename etc. Anyone got any tips?

I`ve managed to get the banner working ok and also the headlight covers but have had no joy with the rims. :(

Plus, is it possible to have a different logo on the tyres themselves without it causing problems?

The mod offers Goodyear or Yokohama tyres but I`d like to have Michelin`s... is this possible?

And lastly, how do I go about painting a driver suit and helmet? Never really done those before.

Any pointers on these questions will be very much appreciated. :)

19. redapg

redapg Registered

For the Rims, because they use an Animation with (0,1,2), did you try this:?
    Just add 3 Textures and name them:
    [Prefix if used]altextra400
    [Prefix if used]altextra401
    [Prefix if used]altextra402

And to change the Tirewalls/Logos, you would have to repackage/update the whole Component, because they don't use a WC Material.

20. Liquid4653

Liquid4653 Registered

Hey tjc,

Recently I repacked the templates for Group C and it includes a Skinning.txt and examples that illustrate exactly how to get it working, it may be you are using the first release of the template pack that doesn't have these. If so, re-download the templates, it will help you. Driver and helmet wireframes and examples are also included.

The tyre sidewalls as redapg says are not WC materials and the way he shows is the only way to change them, I didn't really think about doing WC materials for them because we are using both officially used compounds on the car already.