Oculus Rift Consumer unit 1 on schedule ( Announced on Twitter )

Discussion in 'Hardware Building/Buying/Usage Advice' started by Adrianstealth, Dec 22, 2015.

1. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

SteamVR marketed well i think.

2. AlanBernardo

AlanBernardo Registered

I realize this was posted a while back, but I wonder why I see a lot of folks using "mute" when it ought to be "moot".

Mute means silent. Moot means "certain circumstances make a situation unarguable or up for debate."

3. AlanBernardo

AlanBernardo Registered

No, not clever but stupid. Give me the rift video and not some goofy "mixed reality". Everyone is always trying to be so cute and clever on youtube.

This is so far away from clever that it borders on ordinarily ordinary.

4. Woodee

Woodee Registered

It is to try and show what VR is like to those that haven't tried it. Raw VR footage doesn't show too much.

5. PaulG

PaulG Registered

Figured I'd do my "once ever 3 months" check on the forums. No change:(

Got my Vive a couple weeks ago (along with a GTX 1070). It's really quite something to sim race with this (compared to the DK2). The clarity of the optics + significantly brighter screen + higher FOV really shines through. Especially when you crank up the super sampling multiplier and get rid of any jaggies. Wasn't expecting the improvements to be this significant.

Mmmkay. Cause showing people what the actual player is seeing and the scale they're interacting with is stupid. LOL. Much better to have them glance at tiny little objects and wonder what all the fuss is about. Of course, that would be perfect for this site.

6. jkn87

jkn87 Registered

I did the same. Entered the forum after 3/4 months aprox and still all same about VR. I will keep playing AC and hope someday ISI turns their head towards VR. If LFS has VR great support for their old dx9 engine, then why isi cannot? Isi is turning away from consumers that has VR, in my case i only have VR hmd, i have no screen lcd or anything like that cause once you play VR then you do not wanna go back to screens no matter how big-supper high refresh - ultra black colours- bla bla bla (i used to play with a 180ยบ warp arround 100 inches projection 3D screen in a motion cokcpit, and still nothing compares to VR) they might have cause VR means inmersions even with its actual cons due to being still a baby evolving.

7. elbo

elbo Registered

i'm in the same boat, long time fan of isi, bought AC and dirt rally for VR, come here once in a while to see if they have gone the VR route (which i would gladly pay for by the way), enjoying VR in assetto corsa but miss rf2 immensely...

8. bravotangosix

bravotangosix Registered

Occasional checker myself. As much as I adore the VR experience (DK2 owner) I just cant leave rF2 alone. I can appreciate the merits of other sims and have been blown away by the LFS and AC VR experience but I feel like somethings missing/not right whenever I play anything other than rF2. That's my own personal taste though and not any flame bait. Will just have to wait and wait and wait and wai.......etc.

9. gkz

gkz Registered

i tell u mate get a cv 1 play ac/iracing and forget rf2. first ac made huge step forward last month and it still goes more the way of a pure sim if u ask me.
    For 1 year i could not play ac even with dk 2 it was to far away of rf 2 now its a diffrent story. If u want to wait i think u will wait for a long time.
    Maybe the rest of ur life because rf 2 will never get vr support ?

10. Old Hat

Old Hat Registered

Oculus CV1 here.

Since then, I've had zero interest in driving on a monitor, so it's been iRacing and AC. When you're sitting in an an open wheeler in VR (and you are "in it" in VR) it's so cool driving along-side another car that it makes my hairs stand on end, even after months. And it really hits you how unrealistic the sense of speed and distance is that flat images give you. VR gives your eyes essentially the same information that evolution has hardwired your brain to see as 3D. So you just see things as they are in reality as opposed to having to interpret and estimate what that flat image on a monitor is meant to mean.

11. stonec

stonec Registered

Not sure what "huge step" you refer to, AC team has been busy with the console release for the last 6 months, they have even admitted it themselves, which certainly hasn't helped to make the PC version more realistic. They have now v10(!) tire model released, but it still feels pretty similar as day one to me, with some improvement in that cold tires now lose grip somewhat more realistic. Still nowhere near the fidelity of rF2 in the feeling I get from the physics and FFB.

12. gkz

gkz Registered

AC at day one was a complete broken physic and has nothing to do with what they offer now. They need over 2 years to get there physic bugs fixed what i think happen in 1.7 since this update i like the physics and the ffb in ac. The most cars don t have v10 tires yet so i can t say anything about it. But even if rf2 has a better feeling ( i don t know did not play it anymore) the overall package of physic, content vr support and performance made it clear better. That what we talk about games vor vr and multiplayer with iracing.

13. Christian Wolter

Christian Wolter Registered

I play today with three monitors and would like to go to the Oculus as soon as possible. Therefore, I hope for a rapid implementation of ISI. But if I lock to all other available SIM,s at myself, I discover there better graphics, more features, or something else, but no one gives me the driving experience from rfactor, whether iracing, AC, Race Room, or whatever, so I hope further on rapid integration of rain effects and the VR support.............

14. bravotangosix

bravotangosix Registered

Oh the difference a day makes (or, 3 weeks to be pedantic!). ;-) I do already own AC chum and as much as I've enjoyed what I played, it just doesn't do it for me. I can appreciate the draw for some folk and in fact my first real 'blown away' VR sim racing moment was delivered by AC, I'm probably going to skip a VR hardware generation and just stick with the DK2 for now, purely because I'd have to upgrade my whole system and I personally don't think CV1 is worth that outlay considering I already have DK2. I'm just totally made up that my 'baby' is finally going to get VR (plus so much more). All IMO of course :)

15. bravotangosix

bravotangosix Registered

I second this statement. Never has a piece of hardware had an impact on me as that of the VR ilk. It truly leaves you giddy with excitement and laughing out loud at just how insane it is that you're actually 'inside' the digital world as far as your eyes are aware. I don't think people are aware just how much we rely on our eyes to perceive the world around us, and that VR stimulates those exact same senses in almost exactly the same way to produce a genuinely convincing experience.

Even though your conscious brain is telling you that your in a room with a thing strapped to your face, your sub conscious is screaming at you that you're somewhere completely different and experiencing something else entirely.
    Here's an oldy but IMO a goody (apologies for the foul language but he honestly couldn't help himself, the portrait mode and, yes, its the old unreal engine roller coaster vid). It's my Canadian mate having his first REAL VR experience. Trying his best to be cool and calm and telling himself internally "it's not real,it's not real" but in the end VR won the fight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9Phq-Agk_o

BTW at the end he tried to kick the 'Press Enter' from in front of himself and ended up cracking his knee off my steering wheel.

16. gkz

gkz Registered

What do u mean ? Does ur statement based on studio 397? Because that does not really change a lot as i know they plan d11 for q1 2017 this can be over a half year...
    Atm no sim really use the potenial of a cv1 in terms of the image quallity. AC is not really sharp and iracing misses fx and aa is no diffrent between 2x and 8x.
    If u play vr games u can see how much sharper the image is compared to ac. With the dk 2 u can tweek the image really good with sweetfx and bring the best out of it.
    But compared to cv1 the cv1 is worth everything lol. I would not recommand to play with dk2

17. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

hi all

they allowed me back on the forum, i only use vr now, did try rf2 earlier with the little monitor to the side of my setup
    i miss rf2 lots and really look forward to vr support, very happy now i know for sure

18. bravotangosix

bravotangosix Registered

Rushing out to buy into an ecosystem that is, lets be honest, in its complete infancy in regards to the potential of said technology, is very much a case of personal choice. Just as I prefer rF2 compared to whatever you prefer is a case of personal choice. Buying DK2 was my personal choice. I'm happy with that choice but am also aware of how quickly the tech industry moves. VR is going to move exponentially more quickly again (IMO) due to the discovery of new techniques, software and hardware advancements. This is why I am waiting until the dust has settled a little bit more before I take the plunge again. I know of the potential that VR has and am truly excited and thrilled by it. But there are still basic locomotion/sickness issues to be ironed out via either hardware,software or tweaks.

In regards to my 'Oh the difference a day....' comment. It was meant as an off hand comment to the idea that rF2 was never going to get VR/DX11 support, and then lo and behold Studio397 turn up. I'm perfectly happy to wait it out until it arrives. It's my personal choice and one I can live with untroubled. I'm also coming from the 'graphics card upgrade' concept that for the best WOW factor it's best to skip a generation or two as I believe the best is yet to come from VR. Don't think my wife would be too impressed if I turned up with a new PC and CV1/2/3 in tow. "Whaddya mean we need a new kitchen? The old one was fine 10 years ago!" just wouldn't cut it unfortunately.