Oculus Rift Consumer unit 1 on schedule ( Announced on Twitter )

Discussion in 'Hardware Building/Buying/Usage Advice' started by Adrianstealth, Dec 22, 2015.

1. gkz

gkz Registered

Why should oculus ignore isi ? they gave every crap dev team a cv1 who ask for same as steam and the vive did.
    And if iam a dev for racing sim i would get a vive for free and use steamvr for my game. Its easier than oculus sdk. and as we know that steamvr will be compatible to oculus it makes more sense. But i would ask for a cv1 too as a dev. I mean there for free :D its stupid not not ask for it.

2. gkz

gkz Registered

oculus never posted there specs. Vive has confirmed there spec on htcvive.com .But they have to be the same because they want games running on both headsets. Only thing i can think is that cv1 have other fov than vive.

3. Kokomo

Kokomo Registered

General consensus is that the Rift has more horizontal FOV, and the Vive more vertical FOV. When I tried them they looked almost identical to me, so even this difference must be negligible

4. gkz

gkz Registered

identical in fov or in screen ? I never traid any of the new generation. But everyone says cv1 has less screendoor better image qualli than the vive does.

5. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

Good point!

What i found interesting in the reddit link is that despite both the rift and vive having the same display resolution, the previewer/reviewer of the two kits said that the vive's display had worse screen door effect and not nearly as good pixel persistence removal (meaning there was noticeable image smearing), both of which i find very important (especially the latter). But this comparison may and most probably is mute since it was not the vive cv1. This is why i was hoping there might be someone out there who has experienced the consumer versions of both the rift and vive.

Do we know of anyone in the world who has reviewed/previewed the consumer version of the vive?

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 23, 2016
  6. Kokomo

Kokomo Registered

Identical in FOV, the screen/optics are indeed a bit better on the Rift, at least for me. You can see some people saying it's the same, but it could be because they had to join a 3 hour queue after trying one and the difference is not big enough to be able to remember how exactly the other one was.

I haven't tried the Vive CV, but except for the head strap it is exactly the same as the Vive Pre, so I think it is still valid to say that the Rift is better if racing sims are going to be your main use. If you want to do something else and use the motion controllers around the room quite often as well, then Vive.

I don't know how comfortable the Vive CV is when wearing it but the Rift CV1 is amazing in that respect, you barely feel you have it on if you adjust it correctly. Vive Pre was still quite behind in this respect, and we will have to wait and see if the final head strap helped to close that gap

7. PaulG

PaulG Registered

Doesn't look like much has changed from Pre to CV. But pretty much all the major tech publications had a massive hands on with the launch titles a little while back. Reviews of the experiences were absolutely through the roof.

Personally I'm going the Vive route. If some developer is short sighted enough to lock their warping shader to one piece of hardware, their loss. I intend to do more than just sim racing in VR and the Vive is what I want out of VR. Don't really wanna hear the rhetoric that Rift can do room scale too. Cause I banged my DK2 against my monitor a couple times while playing while standing. Had my head been a couple inches higher, I would have smashed my mouth pretty good. You can't safely do room scale without a chaperon type system. And the Vive can do seated just as well as the Rift. You really only even need one lighthouse set up if that's your intention.

8. Kokomo

Kokomo Registered

Not really. Even if you do sitting you still need to put the two lighthouses in the corners, otherwise you can't look behind. And that's without taking into account better ergonomics, visual clarity, integrated audio and something really important specially for simulators, Asynchronous Timewarp

The Vive is better if you ever intend to stand up and walk, but if you are going to go sitting only, the Rift is better because that's what they are targeting

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 23, 2016
  9. nipzon

nipzon Registered

Thx m8

10. Korva7

Korva7 Registered

Is there yet any information about what isi (or reiza) is going to do with VR?
    I'am on the edge of buying a screen, but i wonder if i should put that money on a vr headset.

11. Kokomo

Kokomo Registered

I think you should, and I think you should stick to whatever sim supports it. I'm pretty certain you won't regret it

12. Joeymaurone

Joeymaurone Registered

From DX9-10-11 thread, Tim's words:

"Not going to support VR for less than 1% of customers as it seems right now. It's going to have to be in a lot of people's hands and create NEW sales if it's going to be a part of this product. We're in no rush."

This has buried my illusions deep below.

13. cookie

cookie Registered

Bugger, now I don't know what to do cancel my rift order or move to iRacing, I really only want the rift for racing and rFactor is my preferred racing game.

14. Woodee

Woodee Registered

Why can't you play both?

15. mclaren777

mclaren777 Registered

Poop!

I ordered the CV1 on launch day for the sole purpose of playing rF2 and Dirt Rally.

Will there be any reasonable workarounds now that we know ISI won't support it natively?

16. Woodee

Woodee Registered

Bit silly since ISI have given their official words of not supporting it until after CV1.... and no eta either.

17. mclaren777

mclaren777 Registered

I knew that people had been working on Rift support for rF2 since 2013 so I just assumed that the work had continued.

Hopefully Rf2Rift will be fully updated in the coming weeks/months.

18. Jeferson Richart

Jeferson Richart Registered

OMG!!! :eek:

19. Woodee

Woodee Registered

wow, very clever!

20. wgeuze

wgeuze Registered

This is what I had hoped for castAR, but this looks amazing. If this can be achieved in realtime in the future, there
    might be hope for VR yet ;)