Oculus Rift Consumer unit 1 on schedule ( Announced on Twitter )

Discussion in 'Hardware Building/Buying/Usage Advice' started by Adrianstealth, Dec 22, 2015.

1. metalnwood

metalnwood Registered

Whiteshadow, you were having a discussion then you pull out some silly line. Then you say I missed your point and you then say your point was along the monitors and PC.

Now you say I missed your point and it was about something else, not what you just said your point was lol.

I could have discussed the rift, the topic of the conversation but when you feel you are in a better position because of your hardware (or whatever) then I think you dont have an argument left. I have no idea what your point is? Do you know what subjective means? Opinions are subjective, this is what I have been saying.

There is no clear factual statement like you have said along the lines of 'Everyone with common sense who plays flight sims can understand that dk1, 2 and cv1 has simply too low resolution.' That is subjective. This topic is largely subjective because we have so many people with different views on the topic.

Whatever your point, good luck to you.

2. GTClub_wajdi

GTClub_wajdi Registered

Does Vive work with pc?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Comante

Comante Registered

The point whiteshadow made, about flight sims and resolution is far from being subjective. Resolution is directly tied to the ability to detect an object from a distance. It could be a switch in the cockpit, a reading on a instrument, or a tank 4 Km away, or an entire airfield 20 Km away. If resolution is too low, those object will be reduced to the size of less of a pixel (becoming invisible) at a distance that is a fraction of what can happen on a common monitor. While flying around can be fun, the fun will end when your operativity is reduced by your short sight... Maybe the airforce enlist shortsighted people these days, but it was not so when sight was almost your only instrument.

4. Narrowbackwing

Narrowbackwing Registered

@GTclub , Vive and rift will only work with PC --- project Morpheus is PlayStation .

5. metalnwood

metalnwood Registered

Thanks Comante, yes, the resolution is not great enough to make A2A a great experience. Although DCS has tried to address this specifically for VR users by making farther objects larger so they are more visible at range but correct size when they can be rendered well in VR.

Resolution is still objective. Can is be proven that it is subjective? Well, if I take the many people using the rift for flying in many forums then we have a large bunch of people that think it is good enough for them. How does that work if factually the resolution is not good enough?

Sure, it might not be as good as some people want but it doesnt make it factual that it cannot be used. I pointed out in another post that there is all kinds of flying, some easier in VR than others.

I could equally make the argument that if I run at ~7680x1440 then anyone using a 1280x720 screen is off their rocker to think it is acceptable, yet lots of people still do.

In racing, not flying some people say the rift has too low resolution to run but I dont know anyone that has continued to use the rift say they are slower but I have heard plenty of stories of people being faster. Of course it is all subjective, everyone tolerance for it is different.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 24, 2016
  6. Narrowbackwing

7. Depco

Depco Registered

I wonder if that approach will cause any lag in more graphically demanding games.

8. Kokomo

Kokomo Registered

More than lag, I think the concern would be performance losses.

I hope ISI has a look into it and can sort it out, I'd really love to go back to racing again on rFactor 2 when my CV arrives. I have been out of league racing for over 3 years, and since I tried the Rift I just can't race on flat screens anymore, so I've been holding out waiting for this moment, and it is so close now! I don't think I'm the only one who desperately wants to go with rF2 but will take anything else that has VR support if there aren't any options

9. gkz

gkz Registered

I don t wanna hate against isi but i really think rf 2 will be the last one on vr. I mean they miss every important aspect in terms of marketing last 2-3 years in my opinion even gamestock car has the edge in this things. rf 2 is a good sim no question but in terms of vr i would allready think about to change the game if it comes to cv1 or vr. I mean for my part rf 2 is clear the best sim in physics and i could still manage to get it work with dk 2 but i think cv 1 is to big to miss it even other sims has worst physics. At some point vr will be to great to miss. If not in cv 1 than in the next generation.

10. tiffarno

tiffarno Registered

You're not!

11. GTClub_wajdi

GTClub_wajdi Registered

Me to. I'm waiting for rf2 to implement and support OR/VR then I will be back to race again with my Sim.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. jkn87

jkn87 Registered

i'm in the same boat like you.
    i moved to a new home 6 months ago and since them i removed my previous cylinder projection screen and i am waiting for oculus rift to fit my 3 dof motion rig. So i have no other option to play than using the rift and thus i feel i am not gonna play rf2 in many years to come...
    HOPE I'M WRONG!

13. Kokomo

Kokomo Registered

I agree. I think some ISI devs have been too quick dismissing VR as a whole nitpicking on DK2's shortcomings, which will be 99% solved for CV1. Even if CV1 is not enough for them, I can't possibly see how anybody would prefer ANY screen setup over an HMD that gives you full fov and lifelike resolution (I'm talking about a future HMD here, not Rift CV1). Also, Leap Motion has just been massively upgraded with new software, and most people agree that it's perfectly usable now (and more improvements are on the way). Considering a small business like Leap have achieved this, I'm sure a company like Oculus has something in the works, that's why they bought Nimble VR and they will probably integrate something into CV2 or CV3.

This is a demo of the new Leap software which works with just the old hardware, which is nuts to me. I can imagine them improving it much more when they also release better hardware.

Now, if you don't think this has anything to do with simracing, think again. Right now HUD's are kind of a problem, and you would have to reach for your keyboard or mouse while blind to navigate a menu (floating in front of you or whatever). Now imagine you are sitting in the cockpit and you have the typical screen they sit in front of you, IE:[​IMG]
    You can have something like that as a menu and you just touch with your finger to navigate through options. Also you could bring up a virtual keyboard to type if you don't want to voicecomm with the people in the server. All of this while never moving an inch from your playseat. Also, given good enough tracking, it should be possible to map your hands into the game, and see them grabbing the virtual wheel matching the position of your own wheel. Then you should be able to raise your hand naturally to complain or to celebrate victory, while everybody else can see it from the outside too. This probably would take some effort from the devs to implement, but I'm sure it will happen as VR gets more and more commonplace and it starts making more sense to spend dev time in making the experience better

This is the future, and the only problem it has is that people need to try it to completely understand how awesome it can be. Not only that, but even after trying it, right now maybe you will have to be able to be forward thinking and imagine new ways of using this amazing tech. I know a lot of people that weren't impressed by DK2 who were blown away by CV1, and that can only happen if you don't use your imagination to see where things are going to go. There will still be people who aren't impressed with CV1, maybe because resolution isn't good enough for them yet (it is a good one to start IMO after trying it), maybe because of FOV, or whatever, but there's no question things will improve a lot over the years. There will be a point not even people who have invested thousands of dollars in screen/projector setups will be able to dismiss VR. I think some of this folks are going to be the hardest to convince, just because of stubbornness. I probably would be pretty stubborn about it too if I spend $3000 on projectors and suddenly a $600 peripheral gives a better experience, it's hard to admit to yourself that you could have saved so much money just by waiting a little longer before buying

Having said this, CV1 is still not the VR device that will reign in the sim world. Especially because hardware will upgrade quite quickly and it will become old in no time, unlike what happens with monitors. It will take some time until we hit a point where you don't mind when a new VR headset comes out because you are happy with the one you have. When CV2 comes out everybody that has a CV1 and money will jump on it because the resolution and FOV aren't where we would ideally want them, and any improvement will be welcome, especially if we are talking about eye tracking and foveated rendering. Foveated rendering has the potential of letting VR users to have better visuals while keeping the hardware requirements lower than what you would need on a flat screen. That is pretty huge and it's already coming

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 19, 2016
  14. Narrowbackwing

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 22, 2016
  15. Depco

Depco Registered

Does it work with DX9 games?

16. Woodee

Woodee Registered

No handtracking.... no sale for me :)

17. Kokomo

Kokomo Registered

Live for Speed is DX9 and it works in the Rift, so I don't think that's relevant. The relevant thing is what will ISI do once this things are out there. They said they will have a look then, so we'll see I guess.

Right now what we know is that Kunos already have their CV1's, and I dunno if ISI doesn't because they didn't ask or because Oculus ignored them

18. nipzon

nipzon Registered

Looking at all the new VR units coming out I am starting to think again of cancelling my pre-order of the CV1. Did I jump in too early, should I wait?

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 23, 2016
  19. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

Has anyone managed to preview the consumer version of the vive yet? And if so, how does it fair compared to the oculus rift cv1?

Best i have found is this (https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/3zw8ta/ces_cv1_impressions_vs_vive/) however it seems it may not even be the vive pre but the older vive dk1 which if so means it's probably no good to gauge off.

Am i right in stating that the vive cv1 has not been confirmed to have the exact same specs as the pre?

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 23, 2016
  20. gkz

gkz Registered

"at all the new vr units coming out" there are only two oculus and vive. And as far as i know vive did not change much from vive pre. So after most test ppl say oculus has the better headset terms of weight/screen and vive the better system. So if u want it only for racing i would go with oculus rift for sure. If u want more and use the room scale or u have button box and need the front camara i would go for vive. What we now is that vive have a fov of 110 oculus did not say anything about fov yet.