Oculus Rift Consumer unit 1 on schedule ( Announced on Twitter )

Discussion in 'Hardware Building/Buying/Usage Advice' started by Adrianstealth, Dec 22, 2015.

1. WhiteShadow

WhiteShadow Registered

Does it rely mater what sim I did use to my test? But to your info it was DCS. Everyone with common sense who plays flight sims can understand that dk1, 2 and cv1 has simply too low resolution.

2. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

How did you get to try the cv1 in dcs let alone get to try a cv1?

3. WhiteShadow

WhiteShadow Registered

Sorry I dont understand what you mean?

4. WhiteShadow

WhiteShadow Registered

Ahh hehe, I see cv1 is not released and I meant of cose DK1/2.

5. gkz

gkz Registered

the question is how can u test dcs with cv1 ?

6. WhiteShadow

WhiteShadow Registered

I dint test cv1 I did made typo. Use you common sense before you spam me about mistake like that. I tested DK2 as you should understand without asking silly questions.

7. Woodee

Woodee Registered

Chill

8. metalnwood

metalnwood Registered

It's nice you have an opinion and I am sure most people reading your statements of fact can understand that it is only an opinion.

Re DCS. Matt Wagner has said that CV1 in DCS is a leap beyond the DK2 and he is very happy with it in DCS. DCS is the simulator, not the aircraft.

Some aircraft will be easier to fly with lower resolution than others. Different aircraft in DCS have different roles, it's not all about spotting another aircraft as a small dot in the sky. I assume you are not part of a squadron? There are many roles to be filled that are good for VR.

Also, not everyone, in fact a minority, play combat sims. I have used FSX in the rift and flying is no issue as all and a lot more preferable to the monitors.

I dont think you are intentionally trying to lump everything in to one big bucket and saying it wont work, I just dont think you have a broader experience with the rift to know. As someone else asked, yes the sim and the aircraft you are flying are vital to the question of how well suited is the rift.

9. WhiteShadow

WhiteShadow Registered

Well, it is your opinion that I don`t have experience with rift to know. I have dk1 and dk2 and have also ordered cv1. If you feel that rift is fine to flying it is fine to me it is your opinion. I think we are playing flight sims in totally different levels. The question of how well rift is suited to the sims, in my mind not very well :)

10. metalnwood

metalnwood Registered

Exactly it is opinion! What dont you get about that? I am not stating any facts other than your opinion is not a fact lol. Edit, just to be clear, everything I say is my opinion, everything I read other people say I take as their opinion, until like you did and start saying 'everyone' and then you are saying it's not just your opinion but what everyone else thinks. Thats when subjective topics like this go bad.

I dont think there is 'playing flight sims at different levels'. There are different aircraft/helos/roles. A2A in the p51 in VR is not easy compared to SAR in a helo. I dont find it too hard to do CAS in the rift. I dont do much A2A since playing il2. If you prefer to call it 'different levels' then hooray for you. I don't know if you play by yourself but if you do much MP with squadrons then there are many roles to be had.

As I said, flight sims are not all the same, just because it doesnt suit what you do doesnt rule it out for other kinds of flight. In FSX for GA flight, small aircraft its perfect.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 24, 2016
  11. Depco

Depco Registered

For point of reference. I am not a Flight simmer. Never have tried to play a hardcore flight sim. However, I have played War Thunder and found the game to be very exciting. THis video does a nice job of showing how the DK2 adds significant immersion to the reviewers sim experience. He uses War Thunder as his reference but also mentions other sims.

12. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

+1 metalnwood

13. WhiteShadow

WhiteShadow Registered

I think that you and me are not only in different level when it comes to how we play sims but also when it comes to hardware we are using to gaming/sims. I am only trying to share my opinion about rift based and what experience I have with it and when English is not my native language it is not easy when rift fanboys are playing word games and spam me like you do. You and few guys are making statements that its the end of the world if rFactor2 don`t get vr support soon. Your reply below is good ex. about that. I feel thats when subjective topics like this go bad. :)

See you on the track in Rf2 sometimes in distant the future. :D

14. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

Whilst some have made such statements before, metalnwood however has not.

15. metalnwood

metalnwood Registered

I am not saying rf2 will die without rift support, I never have. I am not playing word games with you. I am just stating that your opinion is one thing, which I respect. Not everyone likes the rift. You no longer state it as your opinion when you start saying everyone thinks like you do. It's not word play to point that out.

I have a long history with flight sims. I empathise with you that the rift is not ideal for all flight sims, particularly A2A combat but that doesnt make me a fanboy to point out that it works well enough that a lot of people are getting a lot of enjoyment from DCS and FSX while using the rift.

As to 'we are on different levels with flight sims and equipment', I have never seen you on the ED forums before but if you care to look me up you will see that I have been a member there for a long time, contributed to some mods and made and sold replica A10 pits, thats the instrumentation, panels, controllers etc. CNC milled, laser cut, you name it. If you can beat me on the equipment front you are surely at an elite level :)

Thanks, you are right, it's not something I am trying to get across.

16. WhiteShadow

WhiteShadow Registered

Do you rely think this was the point I was trying to make? Maybe it was something else, like what kind of hardware(monitors&PC) is used when we are comparing game experience. :D

17. metalnwood

metalnwood Registered

I have done it all, triple monitors with 4th instrument screen, triple 42" screens with 4th instrument screen, projectors, 3d, rift. I have had basic controllers to replica cockpits on the flight sim, I have had basic wheels and pedals on racing to $1300 pedals, direct drive servo wheels and $700 rims.

My pc, you dont have to worry about that. If you went out today you couldnt get a faster one unless you put in 2x980ti's and we know DCS has not used sli so it doesnt matter, nor has FPS been an issue with only one.

Honestly, I dont know what your point was because you came across a bit too elitist with an attitude of you are playing at an advanced level I couldnt comprehend. It's a silly thing to do, it doesnt prove your point and there is always a bigger fish when you whip out your man card. In your case and in mine. Lets call it even and say that we both have broad experience with configurations and that we dont universally agree that the rift cant be used for flying.

I am happy to move on from 'yours is bigger than mine' if you have real points to make.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 24, 2016
  18. PaulG

PaulG Registered

Clearly the world's not going to end tomorrow (without support). But it's a real shame. Especially since at least on the OpenVR/Vive side, they've had stable drivers for a long time now. And are willing to give free dev kits to anyone even remotely respectable. The monetary returns would greatly outweigh whatever else they were working on. It's not like it requires a ton of work. And even if things are a very modest success early on, it's still going to yield more future sales than anything else they could spend minimal time on.

19. WhiteShadow

WhiteShadow Registered

Sorry to say this but you are still missing my point. Maybe you think bit about your claim mate :"Thats when subjective topics like this go bad"

Have fun with you rift ;)

20. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

Maybe there is a language barrier issue going on here but even if so, you're really getting the wrong end of the stick WhiteShadow.