Oculus Rift Consumer unit 1 on schedule ( Announced on Twitter )

Discussion in 'Hardware Building/Buying/Usage Advice' started by Adrianstealth, Dec 22, 2015.

1. gkz

gkz Registered

iracing has a buged useless physic engine. the understeer problem makes it not worth to waste one sek. on it. For this price the 10 years old engine is a joke.............

2. PaulG

PaulG Registered

Have you played it recently? I used to hate that game with a burning passion. It was obvious it was built on Grand Prix Legends because, heresy aside, that game had godawful physics too. iRacing truly did deserve the hate it got. But I think it's gotten quite good of late (IMO).

3. gkz

gkz Registered

This has nothing to do with hate. It is a fact that iracing has a broking understeer physic part which gives u the same understeer in highspeed corners on every car. Go on an flat and oval track put any car u want on hit than turn ur wheel in highspeed corners complete in the corner on full throttle. The result = every car on every setup has the same understeer. For example would to try this with a ford spec in real life which is a low downforce car u would spin out. But in iracing u reach a point where the engine can t do the physics right and just gives every car the same understeer. If u understand this point and a a little bit brain iracing is boring and not dynamic driving.

4. PaulG

PaulG Registered

I like to think I have a little bit of brain, although I've never heard this before (so I obviously never understood it before). Of course, I never race ovals either. So maybe that's my defense.

Perhaps it'll be addressed when they finally make the switch to the DX11 engine.

5. metalnwood

metalnwood Registered

Then take it as a good example of how I and a lot of other people would go for that with the immersion of the rift over rf2 ;)

I am ignoring your statement on purpose as my point has nothing to do with physics but with the implementation of the rift and I dont mean to sidetrack the tread this much.

6. Panigale

Panigale Banned

I'll believe VR is the way to go when I see the big teams drop their projectors for it. And I'm not holding my breath for that to happen...

The sim world is full of people confusing an entertainment environment (the majority have no real experience) with a training environment. Nothing wrong with that but I've seen this cry before with 3D and that wasn't adopted by any of the professional race teams that I'm aware of.

3D monitors and small triple screens are not ideal (I've owned them) and are not used by F1 teams or prototype teams. BasePerformance doesn't have any examples of those setups either. In fact their cheapest sim for home use is an isolated single projector which is how I have my setup configured. Yet every year we see triples+3D rigs at CES because they impress the crowds and have a lot of entertainment value. And if some forum user thinks that is the best thing ever then hey why does F1 not catch on right? LOL.

I'm not hating on VR or 3D or triples (the hobby should be about putting a smile on your face) and setting up an good closed off projection based rig is a PITA and takes up a lot of space. I'll gladly move to VR if that is proven to be a better tool for the job. But I think the VR impression in regards to sim racing has a good portion to do with people having poor setups that find themselves immersed and isolated for the very first time in a sim. Either way I'm looking forward to trying VR myself in a handful of months.

7. Depco

Depco Registered

I don't think the immersion of vr headsets can be compared to the immersion of triples, projectors, 3d tvs. They are world's apart. It is a completely different experience.

I don't expect wide adoption by F1 teams yet. But I suspect it will happen when the developers figure out how to get past the issues with putting the drivers actual hand movent into the simulation.

But I could be wrong too.

8. metalnwood

metalnwood Registered

Completely different purposes when being used as training aids. Of course a F1 team is not going to use VR over an already excellent setup when their main priority is different from ours. They have very complex wheels that most sim racers dont have to deal with. They use a lot of their training to get familiar with those wheels and managing settings etc. In those specific cases VR doesnt make sense when you are trying to work with complex real world items.

We are not that market so I am not going to worry about waiting until a F1 team uses VR. We have different priorities.

The rift is much more immersive than projectors but not so good for real world training that involved familiarity with real cockpits.

The rift is very well suited for the majority of sim racers

9. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

Ferrari F1 does but with 3D projectors.

@37 seconds in you can see fernando put on large 3d glasses and then later on you can see the characteristic double image of stereoscopic 3d on the projector screen.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 23, 2016
  10. Panigale

Panigale Banned

Ferrari is using 3D with projectors not small monitors but I see your updated your response to correct it. It is also an isolated environment but hey you found they use 3D so that is one out of three, props.

Cool but I wonder if it is still in use or used by other teams? Is anyone is even making new 3D enabled projectors? Now I'm bummed, I kind of want to give it a try with a projector because it sucked on a small monitor but a quick search of new LED pros from LG don't even have the 3D feature anymore. I know after a few IMAX 3D movies I was happy to go back to the normal experience.

As for the other comments, I'm all for VR, like I said I'll have one myself in a few months but I'm not convinced this is the holy grail for sim racing. I sim race as a supplement for track days not as a replacement. I want to get into my rig and at least feel like I'm at the track and thus far only a projector setup that is either in a dark room or isolated (covered) begins to accomplish that.

If it is the best thing since slice bread then I'll be a fan, maybe just not as rabid as some of the current crop of adopters. :)

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 23, 2016
  11. WhiteShadow

WhiteShadow Registered

Benq, Samsung, Acer etc. have 3D monitors. 3D with triple screens is best solution to sim racing and are going to bee that still many years to come so simple is that. The con is that 3D monitors cost a lot and you must also have top end PC to render 3x 120hz. Second con is that rFactor2 dont have multi CPU support which makes it impossible to get normal game experience in of this game.

12. PaulG

PaulG Registered

Oh, really? I love 3D Vision, but that statement is absolutely false. (regarding many years). 3D Vision has been unofficially moved to legacy standing by Nvidia and all the new monitors have basically dropped 3D Vision for G-Sync (since G-Sync is in demand and sells monitors at a large premium, while 3D Vision is a significant expense that doesn't bring any additional demand for the product). Sucks but true.

13. gkz

gkz Registered

14. WhiteShadow

WhiteShadow Registered

What are you talking about? monitors listed below has GSYNC, 3D and lightboost support. You can just log inn to Samsung, BENQ, Philips etc. web and find brand new 3D monitor any time you like and you can do that still many years to come. Claim that "3D Vision has been unofficially moved to legacy standing by Nvidia" dont belong to public forums and where the hell did you get that info (unofficially). From you imagination or are you working to Nvidia.
    ASUS VG248QE G-SYNC 24″144Hz GSYNC / ULMB / PWM-Free
    BENQ XL2420G 144Hz GSYNC / ULMB / PWM-Free
    AOC G2460PG 144Hz GSYNC / ULMB / PWM-Free
    Philips 272G5DYEB 144Hz GSYNC / ULMB / PWM-Free

:p

15. WhiteShadow

WhiteShadow Registered

Too bad resolution to flight sims just forget it. If you are using VR to flight sims you are going to loose every game :(

16. gkz

gkz Registered

did u test cv1 in flight sims ?

17. WhiteShadow

WhiteShadow Registered

Yes and I know how much every pixel is worth in flight sims :) With res that dk1, dk2 and cv1 has I shoot you down before you can spot me. ;)

18. gkz

gkz Registered

which games u test with cv 1 ?

19. tiffarno

tiffarno Registered

"Yes and I know how much every pixel is worth in flight sims"

By 'yes' I assume you mean 'no'?

20. halono

halono Registered

I ordered a CV1. I sure hope rfactor2 has VR on their future plans. I will for sure leave this sim if they don't. I understand of course that I do not represent the majority.