Oculus Rift Consumer unit 1 on schedule ( Announced on Twitter )

Discussion in 'Hardware Building/Buying/Usage Advice' started by Adrianstealth, Dec 22, 2015.

1. Korva7

Korva7 Registered

I think that among VR users rf2 definitely might get left behind escpecially if there is other good sims with VR support. If gsc gets vr support it might do it for me.
    Vr fits so well with simracing that it would be sad not to use/support it.

2. PaulG

PaulG Registered

You might not be wrong. Nonetheless, if you think Assetto Corsa didn't benefit greatly from being the first modern sim to embrace Steam, I think you're under-estimating the power of first mover status.

If I were Reiza, a huge part of my Automobilista campaign would be trying to get featured in the upcoming Valve VR content showcase. And trying to ride the VR buzz for as much publicity as they could possibly muster (this Spring). Publicity is priceless. Especially in a crowded marketplace.

3. tiffarno

tiffarno Registered

"Left behind" can mean many things including in terms of familiarity with developing for the platform and it's unusual demands / requirements.

ISI are already having to play catch up with a large potential new market, I mean this game is not even on the radar of many vr users and it deserves to be. Games like Project Cars, Dirt Rally, iRacing and of course Assetto Corsa are garnering a lot of attention with, in some cases, limited vr support. Up to half a million vr users in the next 12 months is not an unreasonable estimate, many of whom will be looking for a sim racing experience of some kind. I just think it would be a shame for the best of the lot to be left out of the picture.

4. Kokomo

Kokomo Registered

Exactly

5. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

That's completely different. That's moving into a new distribution stream, it's not adapting new, super niche tech.

About the Reiza part, any developer that can ride on any train that gets publicity, will benefit. pCARS with their huge nVidia partnership, making sure they were present in all those events was huge. If able to partner with a VR manufacturer to get proper implementation, the game can be used by the VR headset company in events. They will be pushing their product by showcasing the tech on the specific game. It's free marketing, it would be foolish to purposefully miss that boat.

You are not wrong there. Out of the potential new market, a very small fraction would be willing to invest a few hundred more to get a wheel and pedals. pCARS, DiRT Rally, iR and AC have the benefit of their content being homogeneous for the vast majority, meaning the quality - visual or gameplay - won't vary much from one piece to another. rF2 is behind in that area, there is a lot of updating to be done on graphics and driving.

I can't speak on gamepad driving quality but adequate support for that is very important too. I know pC was fine, DiRT too, no idea about iRacing or Assetto as I never tried with my gamepad.

6. tiffarno

tiffarno Registered

7. gkz

gkz Registered

VR means virtual reality. And everything we want is to be as close to reality as possible with a racing sim in sound,physics,graphics etc. Im really don t understand that so many ppl need to try vr to understand it and than make posts likes this. I mean the name vr = u sit in the car and simulate a virtual reality should be enough to understand what it is. For me it was 6 Month before i order the dk 2 i new exactly what i get and was only scared about the resolution to repace a monitor. But i knew that it will be only the res not the technology.

8. Superdevil

Superdevil Registered

The term Virtual Reality has been around long before the current headsets. When I think of "VR", I think of walking into a high end arcade in the early 90’s and seeing people wearing these big, crazy enclosed helmets, moving around awkwardly while everyone else laughed at them. There was a giant screen mirroring what the player saw, and the graphics left a lot to be desired. It was far from a game changer (can't tell you what year that fad left the arcade scene) AND it was expensive to boot!

Now obviously the new headsets are light years (well, at least 25 years) ahead of that old equipment, but just calling it "Virtual Reality" does not guarantee a mind-blowing experience. Been there, done that.
    The Rift probably IS amazing, but until I try a it with my own eyes, I can easily say it looks cool, but I’m in no hurry to drop $600US on one. Anybody wants to send me theirs to try out, I'm game! :)

9. vittorio

vittorio Registered

Same here. Simracing with monitors and without VR HMD for me now is like racing with a gamecontroller instead of a wheel. For me its so unrealistic now that i'm not interested anymore. I have to wait for VR support :( (same situation when the motors of my racing wheel broke, i had to wait to get a repaired one. Zero interest to race with a gamecontroller)

10. Joeymaurone

Joeymaurone Registered

Never tried one Superdevil?
    For me it was mind blowing the first month, just spent hours looking at dashboards, gauges, and even the fabric of a seat (yeah, that's me).... then raced a thousand times until my mind was used to that new "standard".. after that , the rift is the natural way to race, is incredible to approach to a monaco wall in a little formula and actually feel that you are in a tiny object and the walls are actually taller than you.. or approach to corkscrew in laguna seca.
    I don't know , racing thru a tiny window called monitor it's not for me anymore, that's why i enter everyday here.. hoping for some news and keeping the faith :)

11. Kokomo

Kokomo Registered

Good analogy, and your story is pretty similar to mine

12. stonec

stonec Registered

Oculus SDK deprecated DX9 support around a year ago. So while it might work on DX9 with some hacky methods, it probably makes no sense for ISI to implement it before moving to DX 11.

13. Depco

Depco Registered

I suspect this is the sentiment of many Sim racers. Given the average age of serious sim racers is over 40, and probably pushing 50, it is no surprise that many have been though the VR craze of the 1990's when the tech sucked and everyone looked dumb for having tried it. Those times left a bad taste in everyone's mouth for "VR". This is exactly the mindset that Oculus is trying to turn around.

I was fortunate enough to not have been able to try out the 90's headsets as I was too poor to go to the arcades and I didn't know anyone who actually picked up the Gameboy VR. I now own a version of google cardboard (batter plastic housing with better lenses using a galaxy Note 4) and have tried the Gear VR with a Galaxy Note 5. I was blown away. I have since tried playing PC games on my cardboard using Trinus VR and several programs used to make the Side by Side images necessary for the Cardboard holder. This has been successful in various degrees. Although still not perfect I have been impressed with the tech we have now.

Every person I have heard talk about their DK2 experience (with the exception of the pompus ass Darin Ganji) has been absolutely awestruck by the technology. This tells me it has come of age and that it is the next logical step for Sim racers. The only thing holding me back at this time is the $600 price tag. My wife has actually given me permission to get it, but I cant bring myself to spend that kind of cash on a product so young in its development. Of course if one were to end up in my lap as a gift I wouldn't say no.

People will be buying VR headsets for more than just Driving experiences and games. Look at the software that is being bundled with the Rift. I would like to think I am a typical older gamer. I play some RPG's, a couple FPS when the mood strikes me, and some MMO's as well. All of these games will be developing for VR in some respect. If I own a Rift/Vive I will naturally gravitate to the games that have support for the headset I own. That all said, this "Niche" market we all belong to (sim racers) tends to be willing to spend big money on our hobby. I see VR headsets being part of that hardware purchase along with a good wheel and pedal setup and rig to mount it on.

Back to my original point. VR has a sour reputation for old timers and for a good reason. But this is not the old times and the technology has finally caught up with the vision of what VR can be. I think it is time for developers to embrace it. The wait and see crowd will get left behind and I certainly hope rF2 is not in that group. I'll still play rF2 as it is the only sim I currently keep coming back to like a junkie needing a fix. But I see less people coming to rF2 once they have a VR headset and other options are available.

With reference to DX11... That is ISI's own fault for not keeping up with the times. "we have nothing to gain from DX11" - Rubbish. I suppose all their computers still run Windows XP as well. :rolleyes: :p

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 21, 2016
  14. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

Some interesting aspects around the question, buy or not buy ;)

15. Narrowbackwing

Narrowbackwing Registered

^^^^^ ahahahahahah

16. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

the more serious one:

;)

17. maniac618

maniac618 Registered

18. vittorio

vittorio Registered

This is indeed very interesting, same here. When I first simraced with rf2 (immediately when first beta was released) with historic F1,2,3 @ Spa i was a lot impressed due to physics and FFB. But after some time it became standard and its very hard for me to except anything less (I have problems racing in e.g. Assetto Corsa due to IMHO a lot less advanced physics and FFB). Even more with VR compared to monitors (for me VR is a lot more advanced technology, its even not comparable to monitors). I simply can't go back to monitors anymore, VR got standard.

And it's interesting how natural and advanced rfactor2 graphics is in VR - no artificial and stupid effects like lense flare, depth of field and ... things you never want in VR because they are artificial and disturbing. It was so incredible when I did my first league race AT NIGHT in a Corvette @ Sebring in VR. The lightning and shadows were awesome (and black is a perfect black in Oculus DK2), cars behind you lit up your interior and dirt on the windshield gets more visible but it doesn't disturb much in VR when eyes focus behind the windshield ... it was incredible!

So my dream combo is rfactor2 + VR and I will wait! (because of IMHO best physics, best FFB, best natural graphics ..)

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 21, 2016
  19. gkz

gkz Registered

i think u have a long time waiting ^^

20. metalnwood

metalnwood Registered

I am in the same boat, when I got my DK2 15 months ago I gave up on anything that wouldnt use it, that left AC and iracing.

iracing implementation is as good as i have wanted and with some of their built in macro stuff pit stops are a breeze with voice comms which complement the rift perfectly. I would be happy with any sim that does it the same as iracing, hint hint.

Two things came together at about the same time. I got the OSW and iracing went from what some would call iceracing to as good as I could ask for as well so I havent lost anything without rf2. I still am at the forums regularly though, waiting and hoping because I like all the sims.