Oculus Rift Consumer unit 1 on schedule ( Announced on Twitter )

Discussion in 'Hardware Building/Buying/Usage Advice' started by Adrianstealth, Dec 22, 2015.

1. Ricknau

Ricknau Registered

Oh wow... I had to look that one up! Not sure if it fits the bill but hey, I learned a new word! :D

One thing that strikes me about the whole "how close to perfect it looks" issue is that for cripes sake, we're looking at fake computer images inside a game. Does it have to be 4K or 8K res or perfect color, or perfect smoothness etc?... when in fact your looking at artificially created objects with photos or made up textures pasted to the surface. It's never going to fool you. It will always look like a game.

To me, just the fact that it is 3d "look around" and "pretty good" visually is enough to make me want one. But I just know I'm going to feel like puking. I just know it! :(

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 18, 2016
  2. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

Depends on what your after of course right? If you're after indistinguishable from reality levels of visual detail, then it's a resounding yes. If you're after something that just works, then no. You could stick with a dk1 type resolution and display quality though the experience will simply not be as great as newer models.

Everyone has the right to their own opinions/beliefs ofc but i'm confused how assured some people are in believing that (for example) real-time graphics is never going to become realistic enough to fool you into thinking that it's real. But even if we could hypothetically know that it's true, it's a poor reason not to improve screen resolution, colour, smoothness, etc, because non artificial images (i.e. vr-movies) will still benefit from such improvements. If you want the same visual quality/experience as if watching a movie in a real cinema through a VR headset then you're going to need a very high resolution display. This is simply a fact.

Have you tried a dk2 before?

If not, you should perhaps wait till you have before believing so strongly in the above. It may just surprise you as it has for what seems like most initial sceptics.

3. PaulG

PaulG Registered

https://steamcommunity.com/app/250820/discussions/0/485624149151282216/

So I decided to check out the Oculus forums and wanted to see what the Richard Burns Rally bump was for (since it's obviously a DX9 game and seemingly doesn't have a consumer VR future because of it). Turns out he's considering supporting OpenVR/Vive so RBR can work on consumer headsets.

More interestingly, it sent me doing some google searches and it turns out LFS not only has implemented early Vive support, but Valve actually sent them a Vive kit. That's how LFS was able to add support. LFS isn't even available on Steam. Guess Valve isn't stupid after all. They are sending kits out to the right people if there's interest.

EDIT: I don't actually think Valve is stupid, just thought it was odd they were seemingly freezing out sim developers. Glad to know it isn't the case. Although, obviously, it requires two-way interest.

4. Ricknau

Ricknau Registered

If there was a DK2 within 50 miles of me I'd drive to it to get a glimpse. Regarding my fear of puke... I really hope you are right. If not I'll be one of those people dumping it back into the market at a loss. :(

Regarding the inevitability of near perfect realism, I agree we'll get there some day. I hope I live that long... seriously.

5. PaulG

PaulG Registered

/\

If you have a pre-order, I'm sure they'll be no dumping at a loss. It'll be like bailing with a hefty profit margin:)

6. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

If you had only tried the dk1, i would whole heartedly understanding your fears. dk1 was a real nauseating experience for me (as it was for a lot of people) for numerous reasons. dk2 resolved all the technical reasons, all bar one that is still being worked on (but may never be resolvable), that is motion sickness from movement in first person without a virtual cockpit frame of reference. Racing sims, flight sims, space sims, etc, feel perfectly comfortable for hours on end. But heck, just because the vast majority are comfortable with it does not guarantee you will be too ofc. You could be hyper sensitive to the disconnect between what you're seeing and what you're not feeling (e.g. not feeling acceleration when you visually see the car accelerating) in your vestibular system. There will be a small percentage of the population who will suffer from this regardless but if you don't suffer from this at all in the slightest bit with games on a monitor, then odds are quite low that you will on a vr headset.

So true. You can practically guarantee that you'll at the very least make all your money back, even if you opened it to try for a week or so before getting rid of it on ebay.

As do I. Hoping Unlimited Detail technology is real in all it's promises and will come about in the near future.

7. Joeymaurone

Joeymaurone Registered

I Still dreaming about playing RF2 with my rift

8. maniac618

maniac618 Registered

Final 1.0 SDK can be requested by devs for games. Please can ISI contact Oculus and get 1.0 and test it with their DK2. They can be ready for launch in April.

9. Joeymaurone

Joeymaurone Registered

maybe they are working on it already

10. Narrowbackwing

Narrowbackwing Registered

Cv1 needs directX 11 , rf2 is DX9 yes ? , rF2 will need to upgrade to DX11 before the can test , Would this be correct ?

its being a while since I played rf2 , Im a bit out of touch here .

11. gkz

gkz Registered

where the hell has isi a dk 2 ? thats new for me :D but anyway sdk 1.0 don t run with dk 2 and they don t need a dk 2 because osulus as htc vive would gave them a headset for free.
    Developers get free cv1 edition if they want.

12. PaulG

PaulG Registered

Yeah. From what I've recently gathered, Valve has been giving Vive away like candy lately (assuming you have any legitimacy... which isn't an issue here). I'm sure Oculus is similar (assuming the DX9 isn't a dis-qualifier here). I'm guessing Tuttle's opinion represent's ISI company position and we should just assume it's not coming at all.

Tim commented on DK2 work a long time ago. Apparently they had numerous issues trying to implement support. And SDK changes would break what progress they had made.

13. gkz

gkz Registered

Yes tim has dk 2 but i know nothing about isi did anything for vr yet. Oculus said on there homepage that developer does not need more than sdk 0.8 for dk 2. But like i said every developer get a consumer free version.

14. PaulG

PaulG Registered

I assumed he was posting on behalf of ISI. If my memory is even remotely correct: they received a kit, tried to implement, solved some issues, new SDK would come out, break some of the previous fixes, etc. So they decided to scrap until the SDK was a non-moving target. Somewhere there's a post where he details exactly why they stopped.

15. Euskotracks

Euskotracks Registered

I guess it is the same for everybody. Maybe we should stop modding for rF2 just in case some new code makes old content obsolete!

Enviado desde mi ONE A2001 mediante Tapatalk

16. Kokomo

Kokomo Registered

We see the same thing over and over again. People dismissing VR, then trying CV1 and changing opinions dramatically.

I've tried CV1, and it will be awesome for most people who want to race, huge improvement over DK2 even in visual clarity. It's not only about the 25% extra pixels, it's also about much better custom optics, and the way they utilize those custom screens made for VR. That makes the perceived resolution much better than DK2, and even than Gear VR, which has a 1440p display. Obviously we will still want more resolution in the future and foveated rendering will help us get there.

I can only chuckle when I read people that they will never use VR. Yeah, when it has over 150ยบ FOV and over 4K resolution per eye, I want to see them saying the same when all VR users pass them left and right easy. Actually VR doesn't necessarily make you faster, but it does definitely make you more consistent because you can judge distances much better. Only DK2 resolution can affect some people in that respect and make it more difficult to see the braking points, but CV1 won't have this problem.

By CV3 most serious simracers will use VR, except the ones with a trauma with wearing things on their heads or with looking stupid, and even those might give in if they see that the best drivers use VR.

I'm looking forward to consumer VR to go back to sim-racing (I haven't competed since I tried racing with DK2 but wasn't usable for championships), and I hoped to join a rF2 league. It saddens me that it seems I will have to go elsewhere, I've been competing in rFactor since the beginning, but I'm definitely not giving up virtual reality for it.

17. Korva7

Korva7 Registered

Cv1 needs directx 11? This sounds scary. Yes rF2 is DX9 and i think ISI is not willing to move to DX 11 :(

18. gkz

gkz Registered

1. There are developer and get cv 1 for free. It just stupid to not ask for it as a dev 2. dk2 + sdk 0.8 is all a dev need to make it ready for simracing titel. But i never heard of isi trying anything with vr yet.

19. tiffarno

tiffarno Registered

I really believe isi will be left behind if they do not implement support, and it saddens me to see isi developers downplaying the importance of vr without even trying it.

For me personally, I genuinely love rf2, but I simply haven't played it once in the 18 months since I got my dk2. Assetto Corsa is currently my racer of choice purely because of their (limited) dk2 support. This situation is only going to ramp up when the consumer version is released.

Although not racing, this video gives a good insight into the real difference vr can make.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0-UR3FVH1E

20. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

A game won't be left behind because it doesn't have VR, especially 1st generation of the headsets. There is more that goes into it. Life for Speed and GP Bikes are two minuscule operations that do have that support - incredible, really - but all it has done was help bring LFS to the forefront of demo displays and some new sales as people tried them.