Oculus Rift Consumer unit 1 on schedule ( Announced on Twitter )

Discussion in 'Hardware Building/Buying/Usage Advice' started by Adrianstealth, Dec 22, 2015.

1. metalnwood

metalnwood Registered

My experience with using kb/mouse/wheel etc is not too bad.

The keyboard is useless and can't be used unless it is something that requires kb/mouse, then once you have your fingers on the asdw keys it's fine. No good at all when you need to occasionally reach for the f2, e, whatever and still need to concentrate on the game.

I use the mouse a lot for flying games and muscle memory always finds the mouse and navigating a 3d cockpit seems fine, just like using it on a desktop so it doesnt seem too different than using it on a monitor, not seeing the mouse isnt a problem for me.

Shifters are not a problem at all. I think you can see quite a few videos on youtube of people reaching for their shifter and never missing a beat. If you have some special requirement that only allows you to mount it in s stupid position then it might not be so easy.

I have a wheel with two buttons each side on top, 2 buttons and rotary each side down bottom. No issues using them in rift, accessing the right ones in good time, with the rotaries that the equiv of 14 buttons that are no problem after getting used to the positions. I couldnt say how difficult it would be with a lot more buttons.

One thing that could be OK on vr wheels would be a modifier switch so in different modes the buttons did something else, then you have 28 buttons on my wheel that are easy to access without looking. Obviously would have to be arranged so you are not switching mode all the time while racing but could be a good option to drive menus, votes etc.

Then voice activation.. I have not used it on RF but its great on iracing for pitstops etc. I understand voice doesnt feel right for some things, like DRS, seat of your pants stuff while racing. yuck, voice is just not right for that :) being able to talk to your pits and say 'splash, all tires' is very good and saves a lot of mucking about in an unrealistic way with buttons that get tied up. If I ran out of buttons then I could live with voice for stuff like wipers.

It doesnt seem like vive will be the answer to seeing your devices in a detailed way. They have taken the approach of the tron like view to not jar you with a view of the real world so that seems to be a decision on how they think that should work in VR. If you could see the outline of your KB I doubt you could identify the individual keys easily but I dont know for sure. As mentioned they dont have a 3d view with the camera and one of the reviewers mentioned that the scale of objects was wrong as the camera/software can only show the outline of where it is outside the vive but not put it in the correct 3d space inside the vive.

2. maniac618

maniac618 Registered

I haven't posted on these forums for ages, but just logged in to reply.

I agree with you 100%, I have a DK2 and pestered and hoped ISI would support it, but nope, not even when the competition were straight on it.

It's hard to explain to someone that hasn't tried it, but I now almost exclusively play Assetto Corsa because they implemented support for the DK2. Once you try VR sim racing, you never want to go back to any sort of screen set up, ever.

ISI, I beg you, please have support for Oculus Rift CV1. It is out in April. Good luck.

3. Narrowbackwing

Narrowbackwing Registered

Isi have said the will look into it , give them time to see how it works in house first , why would they say there going to support it now if they don't even know there engine will work with it ---- AC support was crap IMO , it was only good for hot lapping .

Don't get me wrong rf2 is the one game I miss most on VR but Tim gets very pissed off when people keep asking will you support VR ---- he has answered this already :) below vvvvvvv.

----------------------
    For those that do care, we'll be taking another look once the hardware is in the hands of the public. That's the same answer we've given for a long time. Time does not change anything except your perception.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 14, 2016
  4. nipzon

nipzon Registered

Ok.well the public should start receiving their rifts from March onwards so here is hoping to see support soon.

5. WhiteShadow

WhiteShadow Registered

+1
    If you are racing endurance races and get minor damage which don`t cost you any time lost on the track and you don't want to repair this damage you simply can not edit pit menu not to repair damage before you enter to pit and it going to cost you lot of extra time in the pit lane. I own DK2 and Nvidia 3D vision>trackir>triple screens is much better suited to sim racing and it has better picture quality.
    There are older technologies which rFactor 2 does`not support, first things first, I hope that ISI is not spending any to this unreleased and unemployed technology.
    :p

6. Ozzy

Ozzy Registered

You have to request a pit stop and wait for pit crew to be ready in order to make your changes before entering the pit.

7. gkz

gkz Registered

Thats ur opinion. My opinion is that u talk complete bull**** and ur triple screen is waste of money. i would never go back from dk 2 allready and why should i ? i mean vr is the future and triple screens with trackir is just a worst option than vr. Makes no sense at all what ur talking.

8. PaulG

PaulG Registered

I'm not really following the pitstop issues being discussed. Aren't all of these addressable with Voice Attack? It's not like it's unrealistic either. These are all things you'd be communicating via voice in real life anyways.

How? If Oculus holds steady to CV1 only working with the latest SDK, it's not going to support anything but Windows and DX11+. Only hope for DX9 support is if Tim can get one of those 7000+ Vive headsets that HTC claims they're going to start sending out to developers (assuming VR is of any interest to him at this point).

9. WhiteShadow

WhiteShadow Registered

Makes no sense to you, how come?

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 15, 2016
  10. WhiteShadow

WhiteShadow Registered

Yes and how do you edit pit menu to not repair damage, wing, tire pressures, speed limiter etc. when you can not see bottoms or switches .

11. PaulG

PaulG Registered

Voice attack. Tell your pit what you want.

12. Ozzy

Ozzy Registered

That would be "down", "left" because there is no extra button for not repair. Not so cool[emoji12] .
    Obviously you cannot play the game without memorizing the position of your buttons. A shift function would be quite handy, so you can map many different actions to the same set of buttons.

13. PaulG

PaulG Registered

But you can make "down", "left" as part of your macro that's being triggered by your voice command. I don't think there's any real limit on how many button presses you want to include in an order. You can even set the time delay between each button "press" that's being entered.

Obviously this requires setting up macros that address particular circumstances, but it's not something that's limitless in potential issues.

14. Tuttle

Tuttle Technical Art Director - Env Lead

I remember 5 or 6 years ago, people telling me same things....that I was going to drop my heavy, expensive and obsolete PC/Workstations, in few months because they were dead tech already, because of the upcoming touch/pad era.

Today, after 6 years, a top touch pad can't manage 1/10 of what I still need to do with a Workstation. No way.

I wouldn't never drop my rims, shifters and button units to go blind. It's just a matter of what you need, really. :p

Maybe could be fun for some hotlapping... but really, racing without being able to access buttons, rotary and switches...and shifters... that's a no way for serious simracing. Pretty sure multiscreen and projections are still (and will be for a while) the way to go for pro simulators too.

15. PaulG

PaulG Registered

I never bought into those ipad/iphone predictions, but to be fair, on a global scale, they're true. The vast majority of people don't need a workstation/PC. And it's the reason PC sales keep setting records for biggest sales drops. I personally hate typing on tablets/phones, but for the masses, PC are for dinosaurs.

It probably helps that hipster desktops/laptops like Macs have keyboards that are beyond worthless. If typing is going to suck on your computer, it can suck just as well on a tablet.

16. gkz

gkz Registered

There are ways in future to see ur buttons with a cam. I mean htc allready have one in its just a matter of time how vr will improv things like this. But how many people will in the next years miss vr because of his buttons ? there not many..... I have a bodnar gt 3 wheel and use the buttons in vr without any problems. If u are in a race u have to use it blind anyway. Even if i would play on monitor i don t need to look at this. Its like esport to fast to look at ur buttons. But even with that would be a problem is this a reason to not change to vr. If ur happy with normal monitors in the future its ok. But fact is that most ppl want vr for racing. For me if we take phyiscs out vr is the biggest part for simracing to take it to another level, why should i miss this because of buttons ? Makes no sens at all.

17. WhiteShadow

WhiteShadow Registered

Did you know that it is possible to buy land from Mars. Should you miss this opportunity because there is no live out there at the moment? Makes no sense.
    Go for it mate: https://www.moonestates.com/product/buy-land-on-mars/

:)

18. Guineapiggy

Guineapiggy Registered

At best that's a dubious statement. Honestly for a number of the same reasons, (as well as a host of other new ones) it seems unlikely that VR will ever be anything other than a niche tool for enthusiasts. That's not a bad thing, the technology has significant merit in a lot of senses but its laundry list of drawbacks and limitations can't be ignored. Aside from anything else I'd guess the launch price of the rift says that the producers know that too.

19. Tuttle

Tuttle Technical Art Director - Env Lead

Because this is how I drive my real car; I watch the road flowing through my windshield and I use my hands to do manual operations.

Not sure why you want to convince people your opinions are facts and everything different from this make no sense. Told you, VR will be lot of fun for gaming but don't tell me it make no sense to not move on it. There'll be people who don't want to drop a full functional Formula wheel, a full functional handbrake, a H shifter, a sequential, a button set, rotaries for brake balance, switches for setups, Neutral button, Kers, DRS, PL, PIT, mapping buttons, wheel display function browsing etc etc.

You need just 1 single person, like me or anyone else, not moving on VR for these reasons to prove you're wrong.

For me, this still make a lot of sense. :)

20. WhiteShadow

WhiteShadow Registered

+100