Oculus Rift Consumer unit 1 on schedule ( Announced on Twitter )

Discussion in 'Hardware Building/Buying/Usage Advice' started by Adrianstealth, Dec 22, 2015.

1. Euskotracks

Euskotracks Registered

VR is just emerging. It will eventually reach a standard which I see it happening soon. In the end it is nothing different from rendering a scene from two very close viewpoints and sendingthe composed image to a regular display.

IMO where there should be more advances is in the rendering engines theirself which will help improving performance. A much required thing. For example:

Being able to create faster rendering due to the fact that both independent images are very similar (mpg compression concept:)

Also the possibility to use different resolution/quality in the perpheria compared to the center of each eyescreen.

We'll see....

Enviado desde mi ONE A2001 mediante Tapatalk

2. Comante

Comante Registered

I think you are making things a bit oversemplified. Each system will have their proprietary optics, and from what I understood, the image each lenses will capture need to be deformed accordingly to be perceived by your eye correctly. Unless this step is done by the hardware itself, then each developer must take into account the specific of each product to deliver and image with the right characteristics.

3. Euskotracks

Euskotracks Registered

I would understand that the optical transformation should be done by the graphical engine and not by the hardware. Otherwise I would expect that some distortion and quality loss would occur considering the pixelated input The pixelation should be the last step I would think. The stereoscopic FOV to be displayed needs to be defined as well and it is very likely different to a regular rectangular monitor. I would expect it not "rectangular".

But apart of that, I would expect that the optical transformation to be a relatively simple thing to do in terms of computation and very similar in concept independently from the optics. Someone may correct me.

4. Kokomo

Kokomo Registered

And you will not be disappointed, I've tried the CV1 Rift already. Thanks to everyone supporting VR this early, we need to not only spread the word, but let people try our systems to convince them it's worth the price, or at least something worth having when the price is lower

5. Markj

Markj Registered

Just going back to Woodee's comment a few pages back. How have people that are using the rift coping with not being able to see hands, keyboard etc? It's my big concern for example setting pit menu and finding headlight button etc.

Sent from my Sony Z3 using Tapatalk

6. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

When i had the dk2 and was using it in live4speed, i had no problems pressing the correct button on my wheel as i was driving. In the same/similar way that i need not look at my 360 controller when using it. I know my wheel, i know where all the buttons and switches are located that i don't need to look. If you have a separate button box however, i can imagine it being genuinely tricky.

7. Markj

Markj Registered

Do you really need the buttons on the wheel then? Thinking about it wouldn't need the look left and look right buttons so that's two wheel buttons saved ;-)

Sent from my Sony Z3 using Tapatalk

8. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

Indeed, look left and right were/are obsolete. But i'd still want/need buttons for pit limiter, brake bias, horn, lights, vote yes/no, etc.

9. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

GP Bikes is already compliant to the software for CV1... though a lot of the rest of the game is still missing

10. Woodee

Woodee Registered

I guess the only other way to do it would be voice recognition.

11. gkz

gkz Registered

if u want to see ur button take the vive

12. nipzon

nipzon Registered

If you don't want voice control, buttons on the steering will have to do. Feel sorry for the sim dash, gaming monitor and button box guys as they will become obsolete until OR gets the same type of external camera like the vive, or you buy the vive instead of OR.

Looking forward to the day all games are VR compatible which means by that time my sim would have changed as well. Not sure at the moment what to do with all the extra bits and what it will look like in the end.

13. Euskotracks

Euskotracks Registered

It is not only about buttons when driving. I own a dk2 and the disconnection to the outside is total. You can't interact with your PC with the keyboard. The fact of not including a front camera has disappointed me a lot. For me it is a big point in favor of HTC Vive.

14. Ozzy

Ozzy Registered

Some of the problems could be tackled from the software side with clickable cockpits and overlays/HUDs. You only have to know where your mouse is...

15. Saabjock

Saabjock Registered

It'd be really nice to have a mini camera mapped to a wheel button, which gave a momentary picture-in-picture view of the stuff in front....wheel, desk etc....

16. Euskotracks

Euskotracks Registered

Regarding front cameras:

Considering that these are VR devices, I would also have expected not only one camera, but two cameras!!! One per eye of course. It would be the best way to combine VR with AR. The possibility to recreate a 3D environment requires it. It would make of the VR helmet also a 3D scan.

I wouldn't be surprised if the so important technology advance mentioned by HTC to justify the delay in their device has something to do with this.

On the other hand I wouldn't be surprised if Oculus announces a new more advanced CV2 version around mid year once the deliveries of the enthusiasts are complete. Many of them will probably buy the CV2 as well. They didn't have the patience to wait, compare and decide for the best option. They will realize that this CV1 will become obsolete comparatively in quite a short time.

17. djbob

djbob Registered

That's a really good point :D

18. gkz

gkz Registered

cv2 mid year ?? What did u smoke ?

19. Euskotracks

Euskotracks Registered

Well, they might call it CV1+ or CV1S... :)
    Implementing a external camera does not seem a bit issue. Besides from announcement to availability some time is required for sure. Remember when was CV1 announced and when it will be finally available. From prototype to production it takes time.

Be sure in any case that if HTC wins the first battle, Oculus will strike back. And I am sure they will not wait one whole year. I do not think CV1 will be Oculus big bet for next Christmas (most likely VR big boom). So if Oculus needs to hold Vive's sells they will need to announce something better.

In any case the technology race that has started has already surpassed the `no return point`. Some will survive and some will die in it.

20. gkz

gkz Registered

That is dreaming not reality. Oculus needs the full year 2016 to !MAYBE! get a global release of there cv 1 headset. So the only thing they try to do is get enough cv1 to the world and be ready with the touch. The rift is allready on the max. price they don t do any light changes like "cv1+" do add a front camara etc. We are on 741 euro = 807 dollar in Germany. A Change of the cv 1 will be to expensiv and would make no sense for the manufacture process with is allready 100 % overload to get enough pieces.

It don t see a cv 2 before 2018.