Oculus Rift Consumer unit 1 on schedule ( Announced on Twitter )

Discussion in 'Hardware Building/Buying/Usage Advice' started by Adrianstealth, Dec 22, 2015.

1. Comante

Comante Registered

..Otherwise?

2. Thrindil

Thrindil Registered

I'll say it now so Tim doesn't have to later on.

It's done when it's done.

3. Jamie Shorting

Jamie Shorting Registered

Hinting that ISI is lazy will get you nowhere. Judging by this thread, rudeness and Oculus fans seem to go hand in hand.

4. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

When is yours expected to arrive?

5. gkz

gkz Registered

U guys are going for oculus rift without waiting what vive do ? i mean even if the vive coast 1000 euro compared to what u get is better offer in my opinion. Front camara gives u perfect fit to use button boxes etc.

6. Woodee

Woodee Registered

7. nipzon

nipzon Registered

Well it will be a pity to have to jump to the competition for VR support. I love RF2 but they will have to come to the party. DK1/2 have been out for a while now with the community doing all the work to make it happen.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 7, 2016
  8. mtojay

mtojay Registered

just made an account to add to this. i bought rfactor 2 quite a while ago because my league switched to it. directly before the switch eventually happened the rift dk2 preorders opened and i was one of the first to jump in and buy one. at that time i thought isi would actually be on time with their support and was looking forward to league racing in my dk2.

once the rift arrived the only sim that supported the dk2 was live for speed. and man did i play the hell out of this just hotlapping in my dk2. after 5-10 minutes i was completely sure that i NEVER can go back to my monitor setup. nomatter what. i would rather drive in my vr headset alone then to spend the time in rfactor 2 without the rift.
    i told the people in my league that they would have to understand that i signed off for only one season in hope they would support the rift soon enough for the season after. didnt happen. i looked back in to the forum from time to time but it didnt seem like there was progress. they said in more then 1 thread that the consumer version will be supported and actually closed some or at least one of those threads (as far as i remember). i was disappointed at how isi handled vr, but to be fair we are talking about development kits. so i can at least somewhat understand that it is a hassle to support ever changing runtimes.

in the end i switched to iracing and played about 175 races from november 2014 to december 2015. i havent looked back since. even if the community in a proper racing league is miles ahead of iracing i have to admit that the joy i got out of my dk2 in the countless "public" iracing races were more fun then i had in any league race. the buildup to a race in a league is different and all that surrounds it is better, but racing on a monitor compared to racing inside the rift is freaking night and day.

i never lost hope that they will be ready for cv1 and support it out of the box. but i am not so sure anymore. i would love to go back to my league and drive rf2 with my people. but for me it doesnt feel like isi has love vr somehow. i cant explain and cant understand but we here next to nothing from them. :(

edit: i should add that i of course tested the hacked together community mod support. but that wasnt a good enough experience compared to native support.

9. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

Adrian got a free one.

10. Eddy

Eddy Registered

mtojay, i think you have missed this:

They know it's here and if it's going to be the new standard they will implement it for sure. But as always this sim is ISI's product and their decision when to implement or not.
    Until then, i will wait patiently but that's just me.

11. Old Hat

Old Hat Registered

I've heard that sort of thing from a number of people, even with triples.

I've ordered one anyway. April, it reckons.

12. mtojay

mtojay Registered

ah thx man. i didnt see that. thats nice. best part was how he talked about live for speed and how he thought their implementation is fantastic. NICE.
    really good to see, that gets my hopes up although i still dont believe we get anything for launch. but we will see.

and of course everybody can wait patiently. but as someone who has already tried and played the last year exclusively with the rift i cant wat patiently anymore. i just cant justify going back to a monitor :)

13. Eddy

Eddy Registered

Your last point about not able to go back i can understand. I think i would have the same. In my case i only play rFactor 2 so until they go and support vr there is no need for me to hurry. And i also want to know which device turns out to be the best.

14. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

And maybe see those prices drop a bit too? Jeez Louise! :eek:

I see no need to hurry either. Let stuff play out a bit before I decide on VR.

15. Miro

Miro Registered

Had a DK2 set too, in the run rf2 won and I soId it. Ranted often enough :p. Now not gonna order untiI rf2 support is there.

16. Ricknau

Ricknau Registered

How much of a separate effort will be required by ISI to implement each brand of VR? I mean will there be much commonality between them so that ISI doesn't get burdened down as several VR brands dribble into the market? They claim that they will tackle Occulus when it finally goes commercial but what of the others?

17. metalnwood

metalnwood Registered

Great to see that video and the enthusiasm Tim had for how games can put you in them with the rift, especially in the cockpits.

I lurk here a lot but have not played rf2 since I got the rift. I dont talk about the pros/cons/physics of other games etc but I only play racing games with rift support now as it's more important to me.

It's nice to see that Tim has tried it, likes it and that hopefully he will be able to push it internally.

18. Adrian

Adrian Registered

no date, I expect they will ship by region as they usually do so it would vary depending where you are.

19. gkz

gkz Registered

That has nothing to do with isi its private review. To call vr standard is a long way not before 2-3 years.

20. Eddy

Eddy Registered

I know it's Tim private but don't you think he talked about it @ work? I said: "if it's going to be the new standard" i never claimed it is the new standard.