Oculus Rift Consumer unit 1 on schedule ( Announced on Twitter )

Discussion in 'Hardware Building/Buying/Usage Advice' started by Adrianstealth, Dec 22, 2015.

1. Comante

Comante Registered

I'm not in a hurry, I will buy a VR headset when all the people that will buy their's will sell it because their PC can't make them run smooth and/or they will get nausea from VR. :D

2. Andrew_WOT

Andrew_WOT Registered

I wish I were that smart. :(

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 30, 2015
  3. PaulG

PaulG Registered

Pre-orders going live in T-Minus 48 hours:

https://www.oculus.com/en-us/

The fact they refuse to announce the price ahead of time doesn't fill me with a lot of confidence. Was bracing for 499.99, but beginning to think that may be too optimistic.

4. Narrowbackwing

Narrowbackwing Registered

cool , great news , but pissed off they haven't announced the price , I'm very interested to see have they made it affordable for the average Joe .
    eatherway I'll get it but the more that get it the more games that will have to support VR .

5. gkz

gkz Registered

Playseat sells oculus now for 396$. This would be a good price.

6. Narrowbackwing

7. lasercutter

lasercutter Registered

So the rift is available at $599.... a bit more than the projected $350 that was the target

But what stopped me from ordering is the fact that although at todays exchange rate $599 is the equivalent of £410 (without shipping) the greedy gits somehow calculate it as £499 ( $730 ) and I'm not paying that.

8. Woodee

Woodee Registered

Now they have announced a price, HTC and Valve have a target to beat... kinda good that they get to go 2nd. Kind of like when E3 came around, Microsoft had to announce the price of the XBone be Sony announced theirs for PS4.

I still don't want VR until there is hand tracking (maybe Manus VR gloves?).

9. Narrowbackwing

It's a bit steep about 700 euro all in it would cost me , I will wait patiently .

10. PaulG

PaulG Registered

I didn't go in either. Almost 700 dollars once you added tax + shipping. Plus the Oculus Touch controllers will be another 100+. And I was definitely interested in VR for more than sim racing. That's almost 800 dollars. We'll see if Vive can come in at under 1000. If I'm going to be looking at close to a grand anyway, I'd much rather get the whole shebang for the money.

What annoys me is I originally backed the DIY Rift on Kickstarter. But canceled after a couple days because while I love the Rift as a proof of concept, knew DK1 would suck from a usability POV. The fact that 275 dollar pledge came with some Steam store credit + a TF2 digital hat that was easily selling for 75+ made me kick myself. I kicked myself harder when it was then selling for 1000+ on ebay for months. And now they get CV1 for free. Why didn't I just keep the pledge, spend 2 hours with it, and ebay it for tons of profit:( It's not like I didn't know these type of things sell for tons of ebay.

I'm sure CV1 will be selling for a ton too, since it's clearly a small production scale and pre-orders are already into May. But 700 dollars is too much of a risk for me (to get a chargeback on).

11. Woodee

Woodee Registered

12. Markj

Markj Registered

Always thought I'd pre order an occulus but think I'll wait it out. The Vive sounds to me like it may be a better bit of kit.
    Can anyone explain compatibility with rF2? Basically if ISI support VR would it be occulus and vive or just one?

Sent from my Sony Z3 using Tapatalk

13. Narrowbackwing

Sad bastards .

would cost me 1627.63 euro , that not business that's fn robbery.

14. Woodee

Woodee Registered

Hoping that VR is kind cross-platform. I think it would be weird not having your hands in there yet though.

15. metalnwood

metalnwood Registered

Guys, all international prices are including tax/vat/gst (whatever your region calls it) for that country. You will not have to pay tax on top of the quoted price, they have already said that.

Narrowbackwing, I dont know how you would pay >$1600 euro for a rift but that is obviously your tax system at work not oculus.

16. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

I think he was referring to the CV1 pre-order for sale on ebay (linked by woodee).

17. SimDrive

SimDrive Registered

You can't calculate your price basically 599USD into GBP. Doesn't work like that...never did and never will. In EU, we have taxes that are included as well. In the US, they also have taxes per state etc so their price varies as well and 599USD is before tax.

18. Narrowbackwing

Correct .

19. nipzon

nipzon Registered

Just placed my order for the Rift and it is time for ISI to got off their hinies and get RF2 Rift compatible ASAP

20. Adrian

Adrian Registered

Pretty happy that I get a free one (orig backers ftw!) after seeing that price =D cant wait for VR to happen :)

I don't think the price will seem bad to the sim crowd, we're used to expensive things lol