rF2 fps performance killer No.1

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Tosch, Dec 14, 2015.

1. Satangoss

Satangoss Registered

Regardless, after to see those billions of polygons in the LodA carbody I'm felling a little silly on trying to save few 10 or 15 quads in my track trees.

2. Satangoss

Satangoss Registered

By the way, each TV camera has its own lod multiplier, e.g., if the multiplier is 2, the engine will unload the lodA from twice the default distance. See the track cam file.

It looks like the lod multiplier variable is not reverting to default after switch the cam back, appears to be lacking a piece of code to force it.

3. Tosch

Tosch Registered

I had the same idea, so I modified every trackcam at Essington to lod multi 1. No success. :(
    As soon as you switch to TV cams the LOD settings are gone.

4. Bjørn

Bjørn Registered

lol, this a huge thing... I had no idea... Needs to be adressed asap, I'd think.

5. ErnieDaOage

ErnieDaOage Registered

I have another strange problem with the graphics engine. I am running triple screens on a single card with quite low settings for a stable frame rate. i locked my fps at 58 and and with 23 ai on race start i loose 3-8 frames on some tracks. Now to my problem when i spin out on a track and the car is rolling backwards on the grass or gravel my gpu load increases and the fps go down to sometimes 20, but as soon as the car comes to a stop or i managed to turn around and driving forward again the fps go back up to 58 and the green bar goes down from 100% load to its usual 30-50% depending on how much cars are around me. Its a little bit annoying if it happens during a race because the game starts to stutter really bad when it happens but because it just happens when i am spinning out its not a big deal for me. Purple bar is all the same percentage all the time just the green bar rises significantly to 100% load. I know its a completely different story to the topic but maybe its connected in a weird way.

6. K Szczech

K Szczech Registered

It's probably unrelated - when you roll backwards on the grass then you're probably looking at a lot of dust left by your car. That dust is what kills framerate. You can drive backwards and stop without turning around - FPS will go up as soon as dust dissapears. It's a theory, but I would be surprized if this was something else.

It's not a "bug", it's the old-fashioned technique used by ISI to render dust and I don't think ISI plans on implementing new technique anytime soon.
    That's about it.

In the meantime, back on the subject - interesting find, Tosch and thanks for taking the additional effort. You have caught ISI with a smoking gun ;) Probably just a g...g...glitch, though :)

7. Tosch

Tosch Registered

I wonder how long this "glitch" is in the sim? I don't believe it's new. Maybe I do 1 or 2 rF1 tests tomorrow. :D

8. Bjørn

Bjørn Registered

Why has no ISI staff member posted in here???

9. stonec

stonec Registered

If you have noticed, ISI staff except Tim never respond in the general discussion section. I tried build 946 and it has the same issue, can't bother going further back as it breaks the UI. So it probably has been like that at least for over a year without anyone taking a notice.

10. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Also if it was such a massive performance hit then wouldn't the forum be inundated with thread after thread about poor FPS? I see the odd one every now and then but nothing out of the ordinary compared to other games.

I don't have a hit personally as I have V-Sync on so my frames are capped to 60, that's of course not to say it doesn't exist but maybe people just simply don't notice it.
    Good work from Tosch though to find and replicate & solve the issue, if it is that serious then I'm sure ISI will get around to fixing it eventually.

11. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

You lost me mate ?

I gave you a workaround I spent 6 hours in Longford and never had fps loss ?

I do not even like changing cars really .......... it makes it feel less real.

Much like fake cartoon looking virtual mirrors above my head would be ......... ( nothing but personal taste )

I don't use replays so the cameras are always live which means ............ ?
    Yep, I can always see exactly where everyone is on track and can get ready to pit out.

Child's Play :)

In a race do you swap cams. ? :)

I just think people make mountains out of molehills with most everything.

-----------------------

Someone hinting it is some ( Project Cars ) work around is just childish.

Above is a simple solution staring you in the face, use it or don't ....I could not care less. :)

But but but I did say ...... IT NEEDS TO BE FIXED.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 16, 2015
  12. Tosch

Tosch Registered

A quick example how it affects fps. Hardware is a i5 2500k @ 4.2 Ghz (PCIe 2.0), 16GB ram, GTX970. All settings at max, 31 cars visible, AA 4x, resolution 1920x1200.

With 30 Cobra's in grid I get 40 frames per second without switching to TV cams.
    The same, but with messed up LOD settings results in 27 fps. The more cars the worse it gets. Most people buy a new gfx card to gain 50% more fps.

A typical car mesh in rF2 has 100000 faces. More detailed models have 150000 faces. A track roughly a million faces (Nordschleife 3.5 million, but the track has a lot lodout's to improve performance).
    30 Cars without LOD's have 3 - 4.5 million faces. That's 3 - 4.5 times the amount of geometry to calculate in relation to a standard track and that's the reason why investing some time to think about LOD's makes sense for cars.
    A car rendered 500 meter away has 5 square pixels on the screen but the gfx engine uses 50000 poly's and 50 different materials to calculated the 25 pixels. That's absurd.

13. Marek Lesniak

Marek Lesniak Car Team Staff Member

Has been reported. They are already looking into it.

Until you zoom in onto that car. Then it might fill an entire screen, just like from a few meters :)

14. Tosch

Tosch Registered

Zoom cams have a lod multiplier but it's hard to adjust them when the lod is always at max. :D

15. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Tosch I did as you stated in the first post:
    The best way to test it is to select race only with a large field of cars, pause the game while standing in grid, activated frame counter (ctrl + f), note fps count, select TV cam (page down), go back to cockpit view and check fps again.

I turned off V-Sync for good measure but I simply don't get a massive drop in FPS, with the Civics it was exactly the same before & after, then with the APEX Mod (v0.930) it went from 47 down to 44 (both at LRP) :confused: I checked at Adelaide (graphics intensive) and yeilded the same results, barely a difference in FPS.

Is it perhaps just individual cars that are causing it and not the Game in general perhaps?

16. Tosch

Tosch Registered

It seems it depends on the track (or the track cam?). I tried it at Silverstone and nothing. I tried it at Atlanta Motorsports Park and bingo.
    I didn't switch any cams in the race session. Just started a practice lap, back to pit menu (TV cam in menu on by default), next session, race and that's it.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 16, 2015
  17. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Nope sorry, FPS exactly the same before & after at Atlanta MP with the Civics & "other" BTCC cars tried 2x and with the APEX mod but that ground the FPS to a halt regardless :p
    You are doing this with a fresh player.JSON right? I'm not but nothing I've altered would affect graphics in anyway shape or form.

Maybe I'm lucky who knows, but can't see this being system dependant if what you say about the LoD levels is correct, would've thought everybody would have the same results but quite clearly I'm not. :confused:

Off to watch Star Wars now ( :D ), if you want me to test a specific scenario (Mod/Track) post here and I'll report back when I can :)

18. Emery

Emery Registered

Wonder if Marc's AMD is beneficial compared to Tosch's nVidia?

I only tested once on Brianza with no benefit/loss, so track specific seems likely.

19. Tosch

Tosch Registered

It seems there is an additional lod multiplier for zoom cams, but you cant configure this one in the cam file and the multiplier will not reset when you go back to cockpit view. Another thing I noticed is that AI cars when leaving the garage "reset" the lod multi to standard values.
    I modified the cam file for AMP and set the LODMultiplier for all cams to 1.0000. Now there is LOD switching but far more distant than it should be for cockpit view. On the other hand it works very good for external cams (when the lod multi is set to 1.000 in cam file).

20. Satangoss

Satangoss Registered

This video is a final proof of the bug and how it can ruin the FPS, you went from 44 to 60 (more or less), it's a tremendous hit. I hope it be fixed a.s.a.p.