AI settings for reskinned cars

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by BoothJoe, Dec 4, 2015.

1. BoothJoe

BoothJoe Registered

First some background. I took the four ASR 1991 F1 cars (Ferrari, McLaren, Benetton and Williams) and decided to create an offline solo championship. So I chose the #1 McLaren dds file and opened it in Photoshop. I edited it for a new skin and copied that new skin back into the folder for that car in RF2. I created six new fictitious drivers and car skins using the #1 McLaren car. This, of course, gives me a driver folder for each new fictitious driver. By default, because all of those new drivers are copied from the original, do they all have identical AIs strengths/settings? Are they all drivers of Senna caliber, for example? To be safe, I selected the AI Edit feature and accepted the new values it gave me for each driver. I'm curious. Where does it get those numbers? Are they just randomly generated?

Second question. I now have rcd files for each driver. For example, Herman Melville has a speed of 85 and a qualifying speed of 90. If I go into Session Settings in game and set the AI strength to 90, for example, is that an adjustment to what's in each driver's rcd file or is it an adjustment against some ideal speed for that track/car combination? Does one take precedence over the other (rcd trumps AI strength, for example) or do they work together in some complicated "only phds need apply" fashion?

Oh yes, one last question. Are the mirrors adjustable at all? In the ASR cars, the mirrors (not the ones on the car, but the ones you get by pressing the 3 key) are worthless. They are angled so low as to be useless. Is that fixable?

2. BoothJoe

BoothJoe Registered

Well, I figured out the mirror adjustment issue. It seems to be a combination of field of view, seat position, etc.

3. Emery

Emery Registered

Those initial values when creating a "virtual ride" are random.

AI Strength in Session Settings is a multiplier for the RCD speed & qualifying speed. So good old Herman is up to speed at AI Strength = 120, somewhat slow when AI Strength = 100, and significantly slower at AI Strength = 80. Note that RCD speed values are compressed rather than straight percentages, so that speed of 90 is not 10% slower than speed of 100, but more like 1% slower [assuming the track's AIW didn't further compress the range, which some tracks do].

4. BoothJoe

BoothJoe Registered

That's somewhat disconcerting news. It tells me I'm a worse driver than I already feared I was. I need to do some more testing.

I have another "thing." I'm running the ASR open wheelers from 1991. Last night, I put the session in the AI Training mode. The first car that ran the track never found the groove and quit after 102 laps. The second one quit after 104 laps without reporting success either. It was 2 a.m. so I didn't continue testing it. This was at Mills. Their distances bounced all over the place from about 5 meters to 25 and they never really got close. I've done this with the Eve's at Mills and most found the line in fewer than a half dozen laps. Possible explanations? Is this something wrong or just something that can happen occasionally with certain cars/tracks/etc.?