Workshop Discussion..continue here...

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Woodee, Nov 26, 2015.

1. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

2. V.A.

V.A. Registered

Are the authors who decide downloads links. It is your job and their decission.

In fact, it is absurd to rival the authors. What happen if they don´t do anything? I think that the least they deserve is respect.

All this has easy solution if ISI wanted to. No is complex a system of encryption with keys for each individual modder and with database validation.

In fact there is already a content protection method that was never launched.

Steam will be the end of Rfactor as we know it.

For better or worse, according opinions. Mine: bad.

3. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

I`m really curious, if this is working for you. For me, not...

4. Woodee

Woodee Registered

5. monoplazas_RR

monoplazas_RR Registered

Is it possible to download this mod out of Steam?

We need to check the versions of the tracks.

6. Just curious? Erm ok:
    So all of a sudden there's a difference in sharing a file on a forum/website or getmod and sharing it through a league edition of a mod with tracks?
    If you don't want your tracks or mod to be used - why on earth do you share it yourself. Also if people don't want changes to be done - then please add enough pit, garages and start spots so those leagues with more than 12-16 drivers can use it.
    I'd be happy if we didn't have to change almost every track to fit larger grid.

I actually thought most people would have liked that leagues would be using their tracks. Yes slightly modified but with intact "made by"
    What exactly do you want to check monoplazas?
    Off the top of my head Monza is a RR track

7. To upload to steam - you need 2 things:
    A user with level 1 or higher and that user to own rfactor2 on steam.
    Obviously it makes good sense - why would you have access to upload anything to steam without "playing" the game. I guess that's Steams way to manage at least some sort of control.

8. Woodee

Woodee Registered

I'm curious on how this upload was different to what t@x did?

Considering the witch hunt for him earlier in the thread (some outfit deserved but I saw the good intentions behind his uploading).

Did the track authors want their racks on stream? There was an uproar earlier in this thread about how it should be the authors that upload their tracks.

I'm curious as it seems there is some hypocrisy here.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

9. I dont know Neil, i havent followed this thread. I´ve been quite busy starting up a series (Porsche Cup..the one you linked too) But again i dont see whats the difference between a full pack on steam vs using getmod or using a website like RD or even league websites. It clearly states this is a league version.
    If the tracks is not released or say "you are not allowed to do anything" i will ask, just like i did with Croft.
    There has been 0 notes about any tracks not being allowed to be used for leagues.

This community needs to wake up really, would you like it to succeed or not.

Anyways, if any of the tracks i´ve used is under a so-called "copyright" send me a message (dont reply to this thread, as im not following each and every thread here) and i will make sure to replace that track with another one - not really that hard to find tracks :)
    I´ll simply explain why to my community, not that hard to understand. Worste case is i will use getmod on these tracks... or simply make the steam into a private version - but thats just silly - trying to make it hard on leagues.

Edit: haha, T@X is spot on, sorry to say - embracing the new is not really something people want.

Again - if anyone has any issues with this, fine i´ll make it private its quite simple - we cant use the tracks with 12 pits - i run leagues with 2x40 teams (VEC) and 2x40 drivers in Porsche cup - not a "little league" and if changing the actual pitboxes and making it availible for us to use is bad... then PM me.

Edit2 - nevermind its quite easy, you wont see it on Steam anymore ;) thats fixed.

1. When making tracks, make sure to support larger grid and make it availible on getmod or even on Steam - that way everyone can use the same version.
    2. When making tracks or mods (like Enduracers) make sure to point out what you can and cant do - i´d like to follow the rules set by these guys, but if there is no rules its quite hard to follow any

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2016
  10. Woodee

Woodee Registered

Thanks for your civil reply Jimmy... Refreshing change :)

11. If you could simply spell my name right i would say thank you..but whatever makes you tick. Happy new year.

12. Euskotracks

Euskotracks Registered

I don't know what Jimmi had uploaded because he has already removed it. Hence I cannot comment on that, unless someone explains what it was.

Regarding uploading to the workshop without owning rF2 in Steam:

I think that this policy makes sense in games that are only supported by Steam but not in those with a non steam version that are compatible in online races. It splits the community. Steam users are also forced to download stuff from other sites.

Enviado desde mi GT-I9505 mediante Tapatalk

13. Nibiru

Nibiru Registered

It was a track pack of 10 tracks for a league series

14. Woodee

Woodee Registered

My apologies jimmi

15. Euskotracks

Euskotracks Registered

I don't visualize how ten tracks could be packed together unless a vmod containing them or a multicomponent has been created.

If so and considering it seems to be league related, they should be kept in private mode and not released in the public section. That's how I see it at least.

The argument about the number of pistpots is not on-topic here. Such a claim should be done in the track modding section. I personally always put around 40 drivers in my tracks and so do my colleagues from Euskotracks.

When I need to upgrade a track for this or other reason (drs zone implementation, cut track parameter editing...) I make an incremental update for the track which I endorse within the vmod. Doing so had some problems in the past, but those were solved and we have been working this way flawlessly for quite a long time.

So to summarize. There is no need to upload any updated version of any track to the Workshop. If the original version of the track is not available in the Workshop ask the author to do so.

It is very likely, however, that the author is using the non Steam version of rF2, so he might not be able to do so according to what has been said in this thread.

As I said Valve should review its policy here and make of the Workshop a real public place where the only requirement to upload and download stuff should be to be a steam member. It would not harm anybody. Indeed it would promote the global gaming community. I understand that rF2 is not the only title which has both versions (SCE does if I am not wrong and I only have racing games).

In order that Valve could change this I think ISI and companies in a similar situation should talk to Valve and politely ask them to review a Workshop policy which is not helping anybody.

16. monoplazas_RR

monoplazas_RR Registered

The problem is Steam is an official platform, isn't a forum either and there are circuits that should not be there.
    No problem if you make a mod that includes any track, but should not be on Steam for the reason I have just said. Put it in your forum or your website, if you wish, but not in Steam, please.

Regards.

17. Marcel Offermans

Marcel Offermans Registered

That is your opinion. I think it is impossible to generalise and make such a statement, because what you are allowed to do depends on the license that the original author put on the content. I would actually argue that in most cases it is perfectly legal to share publicly available content in the workshop.

Of course it makes sense to ask the original author if they would like to make their work available in the workshop, or even to help them. I've collaborated with many mod teams already to make that happen. On the other hand, if they have no interest in doing so, in general anybody is free to publish a mod in the workshop. In that sense it is exactly the same as publishing it on a dedicated server (with GetMod) or on any other file sharing site. Before you can publish anything in the workshop, you have to accept a license agreement. If anybody violates those terms, then by all means talk to Valve and make your case. (see http://store.steampowered.com/subscriber_agreement/ for more information)

If you think Valve should review their policy, talk directly to them. They are not reading this forum. I can tell you it will be very, very hard to make a case where you are only required to have a Steam account to be allowed to upload content. There are very good reasons for having to own the game, and in fact there are no reasons why you should not convert your copy of rFactor 2 to Steam if you want to publish to the workshop. There is nothing that the Steam version cannot do that you can do with the non-Steam version.

SCE, or rather Reiza, has officially decided to stop offering non-Steam versions of their new titles because of all the extra work of maintaining two versions. Besides that, they don't have a workshop.

18. Euskotracks

Euskotracks Registered

Who should put stuff on the Workshop has already been discussed and ISI (Tuttle) clearly stated that is reserved for authors. If you make a non authorised update of any of my tracks you have no right to upload it to the Workshop. Full Stop.

I will not talk to Valve. I ask ISI to do so if they care. It is their game to which its Workshop I cannot upload anything because I don't own a steam copy of it. It is theirs and Valve's customers not benefitting from such content. They are the companies making money here. I write in the official forums. If they want to read or not is their problem.

I personally don't need the Workshop at all.

Enviado desde mi GT-I9505 mediante Tapatthat

19. Marcel Offermans

Marcel Offermans Registered

I am not talking about your tracks. I am talking about mods in general.

If you have put a license on the content you created that does not allow people to share the content, then that is your right. I am not arguing that. You might want to add such a license to your website and make people accept that before you offer them a link to download because right now all of that is not clear, for example: https://euskotracks.wordpress.com/descargas-rfactor-2/3-millas/ it has no license on that page, and there is none in the download.

You can convert your existing license to Steam for free, I'm sure you are aware of that. If you don't want to, that is absolutely fine. If you want to prevent other people from uploading your content to other places on the internet, just make sure to license your content appropriately.

20. Euskotracks

Euskotracks Registered

I was also talking in general. If you are not the author you should not upload anything to Steam. That's it.

I am not a lawyer and I don't care about licensing anything because I make no money out of this. I do it for fun. But if the community has no respect about such an easy to follow rule I will certainly stop making anything for the public. I would say that it is the same case for many other modding teams.

So dont be an smart ass please.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2016