Workshop Discussion..continue here...

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Woodee, Nov 26, 2015.

1. T@X

T@X Registered

I repeat. The Steam feature to use other builds should be functional but temporarily till everybody upgrades.The sim should be always updated and must progress in development, you can't stick to old netcodes features ecc ecc for too long .
    The old client is hurting imo. The sim is improving , and that shouldn't be denied in any form.
    If you all move it will be simpler and better for everyone but no one can force you. But the old client should be discontinued and the steam feature activated. In any league ATM. No time. In any case my old one moved to Steam and we are planning to restart when everyone's actual lives will allow. In the meantime we are meeting for a lap or 2 now and then.

Inviato dal mio SM-N9005 utilizzando Tapatalk

2. Euskotracks

Euskotracks Registered

That's your opinion not based in any facts and has not been confirmed by ISI as far as I know. Please stop spreading such misinformation. If you have a valid proof of what you claim, address it. If not stop your propaganda.

The "till everybody upgrades" punctualisation that you clearly made up like many other things you write trying to put responsibility in nonsteam users is simply astonishing.

You live in your own world where your beliefs are beyond any other rule. It things don't go as you like, everything is wrong.

Wake up!!! This is not wonderland. It's the real world.

Enviado desde mi GT-I9505 mediante Tapatalk

3. T@X

T@X Registered

You should wake up and read better. But peraphs maybe i could have explained it better. I meant to say: the devs must implement the steam functionality to run old builds and discontinue the old client.
    This to allow a limited time-window to allow the migration to the new builds.

In the real world not a single game or sim right now allows multiple builds.
    Everyone, servers included must update asap at EVERY new build if they want to play , it's mandatory.

Wake up. It's not 1990 anymore !

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 2, 2015
  4. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

Hm...are you on the green or the red pills? How much in the morning? Where to buy?

:D

5. T@X

T@X Registered

Can't tell you. My dealer is too good. You'd buy everything ;)

6. Woodee

Woodee Registered

I thought your post before this one was your last one? You had "Nothing else to discuss from my side. Have fun."

7. Woodee

Woodee Registered

Maybe the phrase PUBLIC DOMAIN is wrong... but these links handed around on mediashare, mediafire etc... are PUBLIC links... so they can be shared PUBLICLY. The argument that modders want to keep control of their content is just an illusion. The moment they share it on one of these file sharing sites and share it on, for example, this forum then they have lost "control" of their content. Now by no means do I mean that have lost the ability to update it, spread a new version, upgrade bugs and features etc...

At this time there is 20,420 members on this forum that could do anything with that mod's public link. They could SHOCK HORROR share it on another forum which has another 1000 members... without the authors knowledge!! OMG LOST CONTROL!!!!

Having previous versions of mods out in the open has always been a "problem" and will always be one. I mean... imagine is someone stumbled across this link with these "old" tracks on!!! snip

Yes... steam is kind of like a private club, you need to be a member to indulge in the content... so it is not even open to PUBLIC consumption without membership. By uploading something to workshop T@X on anyone else doing it is not "reverse engineering" anything. They have a file, they are uploading that file.

For all those that want control of their product... it should only be released in circles or friends or colleagues that promise not to share. An added thing... a modder could ask ISI to encrypt their mods from change, but again... someone that uploads to workshop isn't changing ANYTHING.

Now while I kinda disagree how T@X went about this situation... I agree with some of his statements about everyone's fear in this situation. He has NEVER claimed that he made these tracks.

Regarding the mods I uploaded to workshop... both for our league, experimenting to see how easy it is to share the content with members without uploading to file sharing sites.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 3, 2015
  8. Euskotracks

Euskotracks Registered

You should read better what ISI has confirmed and/or denied. ISI already said that going to steam is optional. They said that will always maintain the old nonsteam format where older builds can be run.

They have not said anything about introducing any functionality in steam to run older builds. They have not said anything about discontinuing old client. You are inventing pretty much everything you are saying. They have recommended these users simply to stay non steam. And that is what we are doing in several leagues.

If you can provide some evidence of what you are claiming please do so as you have been asked. I don't want you to explain anything further but to prove what you are saying. Do not tell me in what year are we. Many things in rF2 do not run accordingly to the year we live in.

9. T@X

T@X Registered

Hahaha. Still i'm claiming ? I'm saying what woud be better. They offered you to move but they should IMO simply discontinue the old client. Old builds does not exist in today multiplayer. That's reality.

10. Euskotracks

Euskotracks Registered

OK. I understand now. I also think if they implemented this feature there would less problems to move to steam. However why keep it temporal?

Until ISI proves to release rock solid builds I would prefer to decide which build to use. Not for nothing but for very bad past experiences.

11. T@X

T@X Registered

Don't you think that software updates like better netcode, ai, graphics, features are wort to have in your simulator ? Don't you think that the server that you are paying to race should offer the updates included in the monthly fee ? Ask them to do it !

12. T@X

T@X Registered

I swear. To update a Rf2 server just takes five minutes. Just back up the logs, move the packages , recreate the mod and it's done.

13. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

How many leagues did you hosted in the past?

14. Gringosan

Gringosan Registered

Hi,

I cruised thru the thread, but I did not see a mention.

Why do we need the workshop populated by content immediately?

Are the steam users not able to add/remove packages in that same way as a non steam user?

Cheers

15. Woodee

Woodee Registered

Yes they can, nothing has changed there.

16. Gartzen

Gartzen Registered

Software updates bring improvements, as you say. But sometimes they break things, and I'll put an example: We were racing a champ with the Skip Barbers, can't remember what build was it, with no issues at all. An update came. So we tested it, and decided to update. And in the first race after the update, in lap 1, one person had a disconnection, and the server lagged so much everybody crashed. Restarted the race, and the same happened some laps later. The issue was that only during race if someone disconnected the server lagged during 5 seconds. Obviusly we didn't test the build enaugh before updating. We cancelled that weeks race, and rolled back for the next one.

So, bottomline, updates are not always good. Having the option to roll back is great.

17. T@X

T@X Registered

I second that. Absolutely, but all you say it'normal, it can happen but it's not general rule.

When it happens a fix usually cames out some hours or a day later.

That does not justify the "i'll not update" trend.
    Usually the transiton to the new servers builds should not take more than a week or two in the worst scenarios.

18. Euskotracks

Euskotracks Registered

Hahahaha. We are talking about rF2.
    Don't make me laugh. How long have you been using rF2?
    The average time between consecutive builds usually ranges between 1 or 2 months.

The reasons why we are sticking to older builds is because how things have occurred in the past. Stop talking hypothetically.

Hours he said. For sure you are talking about other games.

19. T@X

T@X Registered

Still you are misreading what i wrote. I said : when a new build is released , to update a server in the modern multiplayer environment usually takes 2 or 3 days, 1 week or 2 in the worst cases.

20. Euskotracks

Euskotracks Registered

Usually for other games. Not for rF2.
    One post ago it was hours or one day maximum and now it is days or weeks. You are moderating your message I guess.

Why do you still talk about an ideal modern environment? What is that?
    This is rF2 forum not ideal world. We take decisions based on real facts not on hypothetical facts.