More structured file system

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by racedriver, Dec 1, 2015.

1. racedriver

racedriver Registered

After playing rFactor2 playing for the last 2 years I have some questions.

What I don't really like is the way, the files for the cars and tracks are just located in the folders "vehicles" and "locations".
    Is there no way that cars and tracks could be a bit divided in different classes like DTM, Touring, BTCC, LMP1, Streetcars, Stockcars, Indycars for example.
    The same thing would be great for the tracks too. Maybe even for us users to change a few things like driver names for a certain race class.
    I don't know if it would be a great task for the devs to change the sim in a bit more user friendly way.

2. stonec

stonec Registered

What exact folders are you referring to? 99% of rF2 mod managing is done through the launcher (mod manager), the whole idea of rF2 mod system is that you don't need to bother with folders anymore for install/uninstall.

3. peterchen

peterchen Registered

Doesn´t make any sense to me either.....
    Question is: WHY should folder-structure be different?????

4. LeStrat

LeStrat Registered

What is the advantage on doing that?

Apart from discussing where to stop on creating new irrelevant folders, like Group A, Group B, Group N, BTCC, Spanish Superturismos, LMP1, LMP2, LMP3, GT1, GT2, GT3, GT4... you would end up having as many folders as mods. It makes no sense at all to me.

5. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

There's no reason for you to ever touch the folders. If you do, then they already are divided within those folders you mention, not by category though. But again, why would you need that?

6. Depco

Depco Registered

If you are that anal retentive about your folders being labeled in such a way you can simply set it up that way yourself, but boy what a lot of work for no gain.

The current system is easy to understand and about as simple as it can be. There's no reason to complicate things anymore.