[REL] Low Powered Modern Open Wheelers

Discussion in 'Vehicles' started by tpw, Nov 30, 2015.

1. tpw

tpw Registered

Hi all. Here's the results of my recent attempts modding ISI assets to produce a few lower powered modern open wheelers. They retain the looks, mechanicals, handling, upgrade packages, liveries and teams of their parent vehicles, but feature lower powered engines, and corresponding adjustments to gearboxes, brakes and some other handling parameters. They are great fun to drive and the AI give a good race in them!

Download:

Formula ISI LP = 1/2 powered Formula ISI
    Based on the Formula ISI 2012 with the following changes:
    • F ISI Engine modified to give ~ 150Nm @ 16500rpm
    • 6 speed gearbox and appropriate ratios
    • Reduced brake pressure
    • Top speed ~240kmh

Formula Renault 2.0 2010 and 2014
    Two cars based on Formula Renault 3.5 2010/2014 with the following changes:
    • Clio Cup F4R RS engine (~207hp @ 7300rpm) and sounds
    • FR 2.0 2010: 6 speed gearbox and appropriate ratios
    • FR 2.0 2014: 7 speed gearbox and appropriate ratios
    • Reduced weight (490kg without driver/fuel) and inertia
    • Reduced fuel consumption & 50L capacity
    • Reduced brake pressure
    • Added starter motor
    • Increased caster and reduced NominalMaxSteeringTorque to firm up steering
    • Top speed ~220kmh

Installation/usage
    • Drop the rfcmp files into your rF2/packages directory and install as usual
    • They will appear under "TPW Low Powered Open Wheelers" in the car selection menu
    • Vehicles have their own classes
    • The mods are independent of each other and may be installed separately
    • The mods are independent of any existing FISI and FR3.5 installations and setups

Changelog
    • 20151130 - Initial v1.0 release

Disclaimer
    If like me you love open wheelers, but your skills/reflexes aren't quite up to the job with the high powered modern cars, and you'd like to try something other than low downforce historic formula cars or the notoriously challenging Skip Barber, then these cars might scratch an itch.

I made them for my own enjoyment and modding experience and have chosen to share them with you. I'm fully aware that they do not represent any particular sort of authenticity, and I'm also aware of my shortcomings as an "engineer". I'd welcome any constructive* input into how to improve various aspects of their performance.

*The following do not count as constructive input:
    "Why bother?"
    "Why not just use XYZ's formula 2/3/4 mod?"
    "Why not just turn all assists on and run 70% AI if you can't drive?"

2. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

These sound real fun. Thanks!

3. tpw

tpw Registered

Cheers Spinelli!

4. shiet

shiet Registered

I've been waiting for the FR 2.0 for a long time so many thanks.
    However I have to ask: what about the tires? I guess the tires are different too.

Also there is a video on youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNK3xVvOzqI in which the guy reaches 240 km/h on Monza. I tried this with the low downforce package and the max was 220 km/h, can't go above that.
    What am I doing wrong?

5. PlickBadger

PlickBadger Registered

very nice, thank you! I'll give these a try tonight

6. tpw

tpw Registered

You're not doing anything wrong, I am!

Remember, this isn't a "real" FR2.0, just an FR3.5 with the F4R engine (like in real life), and reduced weight (like in real life). The actual FR2.0 has a smaller chassis, different aero, different tyres etc etc which I am unable to model in at this stage of my modding career. I'm not a Renault engineer, I just scoured the web looking at videos and other info before fiddling settings.

I basically am trusting the physics engine to deliver a plausible driving experience with the parameters I gave it, but given that the car is still a bit slower than a real FR2.0 there's plenty of scope for improvement, in both engine settings and gear ratios. In the mean time I suggest you try playing with the gear ratios to see if you can extract a few more kmh.

7. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

From the originator of the low-powered variant!!

I love the idea of these cars. One problem is that the Clio engine has a throttle blip problem that has been carried over to your models. Otherwise they are interesting to use as trainers. Not realistic because you wouldn't have high-tech expensive chassis and the like paired with weak engines, but they are the best way, as you said, to introduce yourself to a car if the regular version is a bit too much to handle comfortably.

Thanks.

P.S., Plick, when the next version of the Clio comes out (with the fixed throttle blipping), we hope to see the lower class versions again ;)

8. tpw

tpw Registered

Thanks Marc. I'm the first to acknowledge that these cars aren't paragons of realism, but they are a fun way to indulge the fantasy of actually piloting a high tech open wheeled road rocket. I'd love to see ISI release an actual FR2.0 or something to fill in the gap below the FISI and FR3.5.

@PlickBadger, I haven't been around these forums long enough to work out who the modding luminaries are. Sorry if I've trod on your toes with this concept.

9. Navigator

Navigator Registered

Hi tpw,

If you are interested in letting check your engines; I am interested to take a look at them.
    Not that I'm such an authority in engines, but it is my specialty lately. I modified quite a few and build some very special ones.
    I have read a lot, calculated a lot with the values and made some (excel) sheets to make the power- and torque line visible and things like throttle response.
    As I like to say; you can do a lot with throttle response; you can make a 1000 bhp engine feel like a 100 bhp engine and the other way around.
    You can adjust the idle rpm, but you can also adjust when the engine dies; it can fall back to 700 rpm before there is no save to stall it for instance.
    That kind of stuff.

If you want me to take a look at it, just send me the engine.ini and hdv from the old and the new cars.

It will probably be tomorrow, but I will send you the sheets.

10. tpw

tpw Registered

@Navigator, thank you for the very kind offer. I've sent the files through in a PM.

11. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

tpw, I didn't mean it that way at all. More like welcome to the group of people who think these are a great idea and just pointing out that someone who already made a mod like this for a different car is excited to try yours out. All is good :)

12. PlickBadger

PlickBadger Registered

Marc, here's the latest versions of the Clio classes (sorry for the thread bomb tpw :eek: )
    SC1 SC2 SC3

13. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

You are too good :)

But are these your originals from months ago, or updated from the latest ISI Clio with the CPM?

14. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Don't worry about the "on-paper numbers" game. It doesn't mean ****. There is nothing stopping your vehicles from existing in reality therefore they're perfectly realistic (just like 99% of fantasy tracks). In the end, the realism of every vehicle in every sim is at the mercy of the sims' physics engine not whether a real-life vehicle has the same (eg.) wheelbase length, or amount of downforce as your in-game car has.

Don't sweat it :)

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 2, 2015
  15. cosimo

cosimo Registered

Thanks tpw, nice work!