Benefits of steam?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Navigator, Nov 29, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Navigator

Navigator Registered

Hi guys,

As some kind of nOOb to steam, I have a few questions. ("Some kind of" means; had an experience with it a 1000 years ago and didn't like it at ALL........but; I have very little experience with it/don't know how it works and so on)

I see people having bought this game and now purchase a "steam one" too. I ask myself why?
    Reading that kind of posts, I start to wonder:
    - is it (going to be) the only way to race online?
    - is it going to be the only way to get updates?
    - is it going to be the only way to get 3th party mods?

I mean; I read about modders "needing" to go to the steam workshop and such.......

I don't like paying for 1 game twice, but do I get it right when I think the "normal" game is going to be dressed down/dead and we are all going to be "pushed into" buying the steam variant? Just to get 3th party mods and be able to race online?
    If so; I better start looking for another game......mods is what made rF1 big/attractive for me and as I said; I don't like to be forced in paying twice for something.

2. Bjørn

Bjørn Registered

I regret my Steam migration, but only because of one thing - not being able to use older builds for league racing... If I was to try and race in my old league, I would need to buy the game (non-Steam) again.

Everything else is like it's always been, really... The addition of the workshop is a plus... The join friends function also works... sort of - Steam/the game has taken some time to figure out what to do once that's been clicked...

Once the Steam-players are shown in the matchmaker it'll hopefully also appear more populated...

If I were you, I'd stick with what you have!

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 29, 2015
  3. Justy

Justy Registered

I very much doubt ISI will abandon the stand-alone version of rFactor 2, they may stop selling it I suppose, but that shouldn't affect you. As I understand it, releasing rF2 on Steam, is just another means of ISI distributing their software and to a much wider audience at that. Yes, rF2 on Steam does have some additional features, which the stand-alone version doesn't have, such as Steam Workshop and all the social/online and community features. But essentially the game itself is EXACTLY the same as before. You can switch from non-steam to steam for free, so you don't need to pay for rF2 twice, but you will lose the remainder of your online subscription, unless you already own a lifetime sub. Also, as far as I can tell, switching to Steam doesn't stop you using your old, non-steam copy of rF2 in single player mode either. :)

At present the only reason I have seen for people not to want their rF2 on Steam, is the inability to rollback to an older build, or because they simply do not like Steam in general, which is entirely a matter of opinion/preference.

4. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

If you want non-steam renew your rF2 ahead of time.

Tim said change "SOON" and what that exactly means is any ones guess

Oh dear, I tried to make a thread and highlight the reasons why you would buy 2 versions.

But it got closed because some nutcase in there was being negative just for the sake of it.

5. Jamie Shorting

Jamie Shorting Registered

I don't see any. I have no plans of moving rF2 over to Steam.

I don't mind manually adding mods and manually updating or clicking the auto update in the rF2 launcher but then again I'm also able to wipe my own bum.

6. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

steam chat for online is a big one for me , as & when we start using rf2 again

stay chat is pretty much seamless and easy to setup etc

7. Euskotracks

Euskotracks Registered

Disregard Mr DD post. He indeed tried to convince many to do something as stupid as buying to rF2 copies.

If the thread got closed was because it was a misleading stupid thread.

As some have recommended, stay if you don't care for fancy useless stuff.

Enviado desde mi GT-I9505 mediante Tapatalk

8. BoothJoe

BoothJoe Registered

I have three reasons for migrating to steam. First, all of my other games are through steam, and it makes it easier for me to keep track of them all. Second, it's easier to share games. My brother, for example, can play a game on my account and he doesn't have to buy it himself. Technically, he could play any game in my library if I am not playing it at that particular time. All I have to do is choose to let him in. Third, it's easy to keep the game stable. Let's say I go to some online server and they have a mod they use that craps up my copy of RF2 royally. With a click, I can have steam verify my load and replace "bad" files and I don't have to guess what's wrong and try to fix it myself. Now, I know people will argue that those same "features" are the things WRONG with steam, but in my book they are pluses. I don't think Steam is right for everyone, but it works for me.

9. Phatboy

Phatboy Registered

Like Jamie said I too actually rather enjoy adding and subtracting files the old fashioned way. With a lifetime membership I can't see moving over...unless forced to.

10. Emery

Emery Registered

I'm staying non-Steam because I'm on a metered connection and don't need Steam using my quota updating itself every week. That and the inability to tinker with prior versions by having multiple installs on the same computer are the biggest reasons to not migrate to Steam. The glitch about Steam users not appearing in Matchmaker will likely be solved soon, I think, and a relatively minor issue.

Reasons to go Steam:
    - Built-in streaming capability
    - Subscribed mods are updated automatically
    - Chat & Friends feature
    - All your other games are through Steam

11. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Steam automatically downloads and installs updates for your game, it automatically does the same for content and other mods, etc. There is no benefit to not running steam other than being able to use older builds from what I understand.

12. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

Could this be confirmed official?

13. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

Officially your non-Steam activation becomes obsolete, non-valid. If that isn't the case, I couldn't say. It isn't meant to work.

14. WhiteShadow

WhiteShadow Registered

The vast majority of users Steam is fine. It has improved user support. One day in the future there is going to be final build of rFactor 2 and leagues don`t have to use old builds. True steam it is also much more easy to find ny friends and you can also bookmark you favorite servers.

You don't have to pay twice.

If you don't like Steam do as Tuttle said: "If you want to hack your installation running legacy, rolling back, using old builds or whatever, stay on the NON STEAM version. Nothing will change for you. Easy Peasy."

15. WhiteShadow

WhiteShadow Registered

16. stonec

stonec Registered

I'm not sure why this misconception keeps persisting. You don't need to pay twice for anything, whether you choose to migrate to Steam or not. If you are on online subscription, just wait for the subscription to expire and move to Steam after that, no extra cost. Or with lifetime move whenever you want. Sooner or later Steam will be the majority portal for rF2, is my prediction.

17. WhiteShadow

WhiteShadow Registered

+1

18. Justy

Justy Registered

I'll double check tonight, but I'm sure I could at least start the non steam single player. It was only when I clicked on multiplayer that I got a message saying my online sub had expired.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

19. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

Thanks in advance ;-)

20. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

Change rF2 update option to "Only update when I launch this game" or something like that, and don't touch it if your Steam is online. Should work, didn't test yet I only have AC rF2 and SCE on Steam and I missed to check it in their last upates

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.